Can I call my son...

(41 Posts)
Ilovecake73 Sat 18-May-13 09:13:30

Elmo? Despite the obvious Sesame Street connection or is it too mean? Could it be a nn for something? My OH really likes the name.

TigerSwallowTail Sat 18-May-13 19:08:58

No, please don't.

Theironfistofarkus Sat 18-May-13 19:12:45

Don't like it at all

Still18atheart Sat 18-May-13 19:18:18

No

It's alright for a pet but not child

peacefuleasyfeeling Wed 05-Jun-13 20:56:54

It's on our list of boys' names for DC2, due in a couple of weeks, and I love it! Lots. I'd say do it. I read on some baby name site that it is a shortened form of Anselmo, and means "to love", "protector" and "God's helmet", which made me smile a bit. I think it really is older and bigger than the Sesame Street thing; St Elmo is a patron saint (of sailors, I believe) for instance. It was popular in the States in the early 1900s until the 30s. I like it as it is not obviously pin-downable to any specific country or language.

Rhubarbgarden Wed 05-Jun-13 21:00:04

Oh dear no.

Smartiepants79 Wed 05-Jun-13 21:02:43

No.
Elmo is still fairly well known.
With so many other names to choose from why choose one that has such a high chance of causing your DS grief in years to come.

GoodbyePorkPie Wed 05-Jun-13 21:08:57

I like it. Cool name, and as peaceful says it predates Sesame St by a long shot.

And he won't get teased, FGS. To all the other kids it'll just be his name.

nooka Wed 05-Jun-13 21:11:46

I think it is too directly related to the character/toy. If you put Elmo into Google images for example you get hundreds of images of Elmo the muppet and none of anything else. IMO it is too unusual a name and too strong an association (ie what other Elmos can you think of?).

Yes it's not on the TV, but the toys are still pretty popular, and that's the association I'd be concerned about. My friend's little boy (just turned two) is devoted to his Tickle Me Elmo.

OrangeLily Wed 05-Jun-13 21:13:32

Any chance you watched Lewis recently? I'm watching in on sky plus just how and one of the (dead) characters is called Elmo. I quite like it.

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Wed 05-Jun-13 21:18:16

Some people name their children after brands of cat food hmm

I think it's ace! Especially the link to St Elmo's fire (the phenomenon, not the film!) grin

Turniptwirl Wed 05-Jun-13 23:01:27

Just no

extracrunchy Wed 05-Jun-13 23:06:11

Oh god please don't...

williaminajetfighter Wed 05-Jun-13 23:08:57

My grandpa was named Elmer so I did consider that. In the end felt Elmo the puppet was just too ubiquitous.

Lavenderandroses Wed 05-Jun-13 23:13:13

Give your child a name that won't result in his cv going straight in the bin in years to come. Harsh but true. I know this happens!

Lavenderandroses Wed 05-Jun-13 23:14:37

Ps I think you would be naive to think he wouldn't get teased

Anjou Thu 06-Jun-13 06:43:04

Choosing a name is - obviously - a very personal thing. Not everyone will like every name. Some names are more unusual than others, some names have a very identifiable source. When you give your child their name, people then associate the name with YOUR child, not with anyone or anything else. A name that raises an eyebrow in some parts of the country may not even get a batted eyelid in another. (Oscar was considered 'out there'?! Jesus. I know an Oscar in his 70s. Oscar the Grouch is also from Sesame Street and that doesn't seem to have put anyone off).

Long & short of it, if you like it, use it. smile. Personally I like it. And I think more of St Elmos Fire (the film) than Sesame Street. And I'm a huge Sesame Street fan in my thirties!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now