Can I call my son...

(41 Posts)
Ilovecake73 Sat 18-May-13 09:13:30

Elmo? Despite the obvious Sesame Street connection or is it too mean? Could it be a nn for something? My OH really likes the name.

scaevola Sat 18-May-13 09:15:33

Difficult - I wouldn't, because of the elephant and because the only obvious name from which it could be the nn is Elmer (Fudd). But it is a real name (like the saint) and I do like how it sounds.

TiredyCustards Sat 18-May-13 09:16:50

I think parents would still think sesame street, but it's not on anymore in the UK so kids wouldn't iyswim.

Personally I wouldn't do it. How about Arlo, Cosmo, Milo, Bruno, Ezra, Enzo?

Oh i would i love it! Ds loves elmo he had millions of teddies i think he'd faint if i gave him a real life baby elmo grin

It's such a lovely name..

[[

Tried to link to wiki and it did not work blush apparently elmo is short for an italian version of william..

bridgetsmum Sat 18-May-13 09:45:39

No!!! Do you not like him or something? That's a stupid name

Yes,do it!

It's lovely.

It's not stupid at all hmm at leadt it's an actual name compared to most made up words people are using so often these days.

bridgetsmum Sat 18-May-13 10:04:41

Yes, I agree it's a real name, just don't think I would give my child a name that's will ensure a lifetime of teasing and "tickle me Elmo" in the playground!!!
Also agree that a lot of names these days are made up and ridiculous.
Or worse, made up spellings of perfectly good names. What's that all about ?confused

boardingschoolbaby Sat 18-May-13 10:11:06

I teach an elmo and have never heard any child make a comment to him- though admittedly he is 14 now so it could all be behind him. I don't think kids really know elmo do they? It's more our generation. That said, adults do tend to raise their eyebrows at his name, not helped that he has a bit of a penchant for wearing bright red trousers......

MrRected Sat 18-May-13 10:14:12

No

JojoMags Sat 18-May-13 12:00:08

Don't like it. Accept it might be a real name, but makes me think of elephants. Imagine if he became chubby at any point in his life. His name would just seem cruel!

SantanaLopez Sat 18-May-13 12:05:29

No!

Decoy Sat 18-May-13 12:06:08

I like it. Elmer is fine too. So what if there's a character with the same name? It's a human name first and foremost.

miffybun73 Sat 18-May-13 12:14:49

No, he'll be teased.

deemented Sat 18-May-13 12:18:59

No, it's not a name. It's an affliction.

seeker Sat 18-May-13 12:21:13

Oh don't be silly!

carriedawayannie Sat 18-May-13 12:22:11

Do not do it. Within the year you will be regretting it.

When he is older he will hate you.

attilascupcakes Sat 18-May-13 14:12:21

Regardless of whether or not it is a real name, if I heard it in the playground I would be thinking "Are you f*&^%$g kidding??"

Decoy Sat 18-May-13 18:16:06

I think it's a lot less outlandish than many of the names mentioned on MN.

JassyRadlett Sat 18-May-13 18:52:37

If you're planning on raising a kid who resents you, this would probably shorten the process considerably.

I know lots of toddlers with toy Elmos (DS is a fan) despite it not being on here any more. And if they bring it back (which I heard somewhere is under discussion?) he'd be teased mercilessly.

When I was nannying one of my charges had a friend called Oscar (before it was mainstream). That kid had to be quite tough.

JennyEnglishTwo Sat 18-May-13 18:56:21

I think of that skinny comedian. Elmo.

I don't know.... :-/ It seems kind of pitiful. I've heard worse. But it's not a strong name. It's an 'excuse me for breathing' kind of name.

JennyEnglishTwo Sat 18-May-13 18:59:12

After a bit of googling I learn that the comedian I was thinking of is called Emo, not Elmo.

I think the whole 'o' trend is nearly over....

PollyPlummer Sat 18-May-13 19:08:18

I really like it, we have a toy Elmo here but I don't see the problem with giving a child a name that is a character in a tv show children might not even watch.
Is sesame st even on tv at the moment ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now