We have decided to go with Alison

(93 Posts)
emmyloo2 Fri 17-May-13 06:22:52

After much discussion, posting, more discussion, arguments etc, we have tentatively decided to go with Alison for DD due in 9 days.

I am still having a few wobbles but I think I would have that with any name. My main concern is I feel like it's a little dated because I know quite a few Alisons in their 30s. However, my DH really likes it and it's my late aunty's name and so we have decided family trumps trends.

I always envisages we would go with something old-fashioned to match DS (George) but this seems to be where we have landed.

Not sure why I am posting but any last minute thoughts or comments, encouragement or otherwise, would be appreciated.

Thanks!

CPtart Fri 17-May-13 06:32:31

If you like it go for it. A lot of my generation (late thirties) have the name but so what? It sure beats The likes of Eva, Ava, Evie, Millie, Tillie etc in my book.

emmyloo2 Fri 17-May-13 06:38:49

Thanks CPtart. That's my husband's point - let's buck the trend and go retro. I am a late 70s baby and there were a couple of Alisons at school with me. My aunty was very much a 40s baby but my grandparents were Scottish and I think Alison was a very popular name in Scotland. It was my grandmother's middle name and she was born in the 1920s, so it's not that modern. I think I just need to stop worrying about being "on trend" and choose something that has meaning. I love the nickname Ally which was what we always called my aunty.

coffeewineandchocolate Fri 17-May-13 06:40:03

I think it's a beautiful classic name. go for It!

TobyLerone Fri 17-May-13 06:41:00

I like it. I went to school with loads of Alisons (born late 70s), but I've never heard of a little Alison. Ditto Jennifer.

everlong Fri 17-May-13 06:44:07

It is dated there's no getting around that.

But it's a pleasant name and if you like it that's cool.

MortifiedAdams Fri 17-May-13 06:44:40

I.know an Alison in her late twenties, mind she always gets Ali, but I like it.

I know a two yo Addison and whenever I say her name I think "I hope people think im saying Alison as Addison is yuck".

Lighthousekeeping Fri 17-May-13 06:45:32

Reminds me of my favourite song ever. Alison by Elvis Costello I wouldn't sing it to a baby though as it's so heartbreaking grin. I love the name. I don't know any at all.

Tortoise Fri 17-May-13 06:45:36

I personally don't like it especially when shortened to Ali. But if you like it, that's the main thing.

everlong Fri 17-May-13 06:46:31

The Alisons I know are mid forties like me. I don't know any younger ones.

CPtart Fri 17-May-13 06:46:48

My DF has a six month old called Jennifer. Lovely.

StrawberryMojito Fri 17-May-13 06:47:53

Have always liked Alison, very pretty. Ally (particularly spelled like that) is a great nickname. Go for it.

everlong Fri 17-May-13 06:47:58

Yes Jennifer is a different name altogether. A classic.

TobyLerone Fri 17-May-13 06:50:20

I love Jennifer.

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Fri 17-May-13 06:51:08

My cousin is in get early 20s and is called Alison. She is blond, tall and gorgeous, and usually goes by Al, but somehow it suits her. Best of luck for the birth smile

everlong Fri 17-May-13 06:53:34

I quite like Ali for a woman. I know one. She's pretty cool now I think aout it.

Bluestocking Fri 17-May-13 06:53:41

I think it's a beautiful, classic name, and well overdue for a revival. Much, much classier than all the awful "on trend" names that are around at the moment. Good luck with the birth!

Theironfistofarkus Fri 17-May-13 06:57:10

Lovely name I think. V pretty,

Decoy Fri 17-May-13 08:22:53

Lovely classic name.

I think it's a nice name and Ally is very cute. Most of all though it's full of meaning for you and your family. Good luck with the delivery.

MyCatsRule Fri 17-May-13 08:58:53

I know a little Alison! It's a lovely name. Good luck!

MMMarmite Fri 17-May-13 09:04:34

I think you get the best of both worlds here. It's a classic name so she won't be constantly asked how to spell or pronounce it. But she also won't be one of 3 Alison's in her class, so won't have to be known as "Alison B" or "tall Alison".

StellaNova Fri 17-May-13 09:05:32

I think I said on your other thread - unless 2 people are considering Alison! - that I think it is great. I know a baby Ally but I think her actual name is Ally. Its a very old, traditional name - the Chaucer character was a bit cheeky!

RooneyMara Fri 17-May-13 09:06:00

Hmmm, do you actually like it? Or love it?

I think you would know if you did.

It is dated imo, a bit like the girl version of Keith I suppose smile but the main thing is not to be trendy, or to be anti trendy either. It's to have a meaning and also to be something you relate to and love.

If you give a baby a name for any other reason than you love the name, you might end up regretting it.

iyswim? What are your other options, if you don't actually love this one?

StellaNova Fri 17-May-13 09:14:47

It isn't like the girl version of Keith! We had two Alisons in my class, no Keith! More like girl version of Simon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now