What do people think of the name Franklin?

(37 Posts)
Thinkingpositively Tue 14-May-13 20:47:09

with Frank, Frankie as a shortened version?

Very presidential and a bit too American for me.

Francis is much better. Frank is fantastic. Frankie is a bit twee. But fab for a girl.

God I'm fickle grin.

Would be our DS's middle name as is family name.

I think it is cool and unusual.

Thinkingpositively Tue 14-May-13 20:52:27

The shortened version Frank is the one i'm least fond of so it's good to get some different views! I hope i get more responses......Thank you!

Thinkingpositively Tue 14-May-13 20:53:52

Thanks Madamecastafiore It's a family name for us too....

I'm not keen on Frank
Or Frankie that's why would be a middle name.

LedaOfSparta Tue 14-May-13 20:56:26

I can't help but do a sort of Eastenders impression in my mind!

That said I kind of like it.

frecklemum Tue 14-May-13 21:05:16

I know a baby Franklyn- nn Frankers - cute baby, cute name smile

Decoy Tue 14-May-13 21:26:00

It's OK but I think everyone would say "as in Roosevelt" which could be annoying the umpteenth time!

squoosh Tue 14-May-13 23:50:02

I think you'd be more likely to get 'as in Benjamin' but yes still very Presidential.

I quite like it though and love Frankie.

deleted203 Tue 14-May-13 23:59:01

My immediate thought is 'D Roosevelt' I'm afraid. If it's a family name it seems reasonable enough to use it, though.

Thinkingpositively Wed 15-May-13 02:40:04

Thanks for the opinions......! Thanks squoosh...yes, Frankie is really growing on me too.

mathanxiety Wed 15-May-13 03:17:41

It's becoming more popular in the US where it's the American equivalent of names like Arthur and Alfie.

sleepingbeautiful Wed 15-May-13 04:51:56

I quite like it. Canadian friends recently had a Frank. I was a bit ?!?! about it, but now I know him with the name, it's grown on me a lot and doesn't seem weird any more.

MadameJosephine Wed 15-May-13 18:28:50

It's my ds's middle name too a d has family connections on his dad's side (he is American). I wasn't keen to begin with but it grew on me and I love it now and more importantly so does he

cuillereasoupe Wed 15-May-13 18:36:42

The thicko husband in We need to talk about Kevin. Not keen.

MyNameIsSuz Wed 15-May-13 21:56:09

I have a Franklin, we intended to call him Frankie but mostly call him Frankels, it's an awesome name! We hoped it would be versatile enough to carry him through life with an appropriate name - Frankie when he's small, Frank when he's a bit older, etc. Do it!!!

MyNameIsSuz Wed 15-May-13 21:57:44

And nobody ever asks 'as in Roosevelt' smile

runningforme Wed 15-May-13 22:01:56

it just makes me think of the cartoon tortoise....

comelywenchlywoo Wed 15-May-13 22:07:40

I like it. It's unusual, but not too "out there".

(My DSis had a book called "Franklin and the messy pigs" when we were growing up. It's a lovely book so I have nice associations with the name.)

kslatts Wed 15-May-13 22:14:28

I think Franklin is a lovely name

5madthings Wed 15-May-13 22:24:27

I like it, unusual but not out there, lots of nickname possibilities, go for it smile

RealityQuake Wed 15-May-13 22:38:44

Lovely, my DS2 wears it well wink. We haven't shortened it yet though, and we've had no issue about people asking about namesakes, only happened once (by a recently married in Uncle of DH who didn't know it was a family name and thought we'd named him after Benjamin Franklin confused ). Only problem we've had is multiple healthcare/HVs keep writing it down as Franklyn, with a y, keep having to correct it at the GP, which seems quite odd.

Mariannesmum Wed 15-May-13 22:57:03

Love it. Was on our list for a boy.

invicta Wed 15-May-13 22:59:19

Nice. Unusual, but not not difficult to spell, or too way out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now