June!

(24 Posts)
MiaowTheCat Fri 17-May-13 12:51:41

There was a baby April in the bed opposite me when I was in with my first... in April.

DD1 has May as the middle name because it's when she would have been due and she came a decent whack prematurely.

1944girl Fri 17-May-13 01:28:51

Jean is supposed to be the Scottish form of Jane.It was very popular when I was at school in the 1950s,yes I am that old!.Lots of girls born in June were called June then as well.I was born in June but am not called by that name-my mother did not like it.
My youngest grandaughter has the middle name of Joan after her other grandma.

squoosh Fri 17-May-13 00:47:15

I love Jean!

KittenofDoom Fri 17-May-13 00:30:58

Jean should be coming back v soon. It is of course the name of the little girl in the ever-populat To Kill A Mockingbird, and much nicer than the hideous nickname Scout.

raisah Thu 16-May-13 21:45:30

My colleague is called Jeanne pronounced the French way and I think its a lovely name.

tumbletumble Thu 16-May-13 21:04:23

My DD's middle name is May (after her great-grandmother). She wasn't born in May though!

angelaandclaire Thu 16-May-13 18:57:00

Apparently (when I was looking at names for my baby) when picking names the trend is to use names from your grandparents era and avoid those of your parents generation. Hence the popularity of June, Joan, Florence, Martha, Archie, Ernie etc and less Mary, Anne, Sandra, Derek, Colin etc. so all our kids kids will be Colin's and Mary's!!

thegirliesmam Thu 16-May-13 18:29:42

my girls have, Eliza, Edie, Ann and Joan in their names. Thought of Florence, Elizabeth, Victoria, Matilda and Mary when pregnant and if any were to be a boy would of had Arthur in their name. Love an old fashioned name, a rarity in a young mum (25....but feel 52 :D )

justhayley Thu 16-May-13 16:01:08

My Nans June - born in June

Everon Thu 16-May-13 15:17:21

We have a May, yep, born in May.... Also Matildas and Ediths seem to be making a big comeback.

indyswoofer Thu 16-May-13 14:06:11

what about Jean? Is that cool now?

MadBusLady Wed 15-May-13 12:44:22

I absolutely love Joan. Not cos of Mad Men (or not yet anyway, I haven't seen it!) There's something about the sound that's absolutely beautiful to me. I realise this is very subjective though! I like Jane too, but I think that's been having a quiet comeback for years so maybe not as controversial.

badchat Wed 15-May-13 11:35:24

oh I love February squoosh - had it on the 'slightly mad names I won't be brave enough to use but really love' list for DC2 - surname begins with F, so I was loving the alliterative prospect too. Bad nns though - Febby?!

As for June, April, May/Mae - I think they're all lovely, and Junie a very sweet nn. I know a (grown-up) July, which I also think is very nice.

Don - I know of 3 Mabels, an Audrey, a Juney and an Agnes, so yes that is definitely the kind of feel round here (West London)

I also met a Septimus recently, so named because he was born in July (seventh month).

*let, not key

I wanted to call my second (theoretical, lost sad) girl Juney. According to MN it was a bit nicknamey. Wouldn't key that put you off, though! grin

workhell Wed 15-May-13 01:53:49

Love it

KittenofDoom Wed 15-May-13 01:49:42

I find it odd that anyone would find it odd. I've only ever known three people called June, and they were all born in June.

freerangeeggs Tue 14-May-13 18:47:24

I love June. I kind of like Juna too, I saw that once. April and May also lovely and understated.

squoosh Tue 14-May-13 14:10:17

I think February would be the worst month to be named after.

Decoy Tue 14-May-13 14:05:57

It's a lovely name. I like April and May too.

I think it's fine for a June-born child to be called June. It seems too self-consciously anti-twee to avoid it.

I like June, but prefer April. My favourite is Mae not quite enough to have another child though

squoosh Tue 14-May-13 13:40:37

I quite like it in a 1950's, Doris Day kind of way.

I can imagine a really hip couple calling their daughter June. Or Jean.

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Tue 14-May-13 10:20:54

I think it would be better for a non-June-born child, but I like the name.

Simple, non-frilly names are going to come back in, in a big way. June, Jane, even Joan. Apparently Jeanne is having a huge resurgence in France right now.

Watch out for Margaret, and lots more Agneses, Mabels, Ediths, Audreys, etc. Names ending in consonants or consonant sounds.

JennyEnglish Tue 14-May-13 10:04:53

Just read this, a woman planning to call her baby due in June 'June'. It took me a minute to get my head round it but I like it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now