Webchat with Green Party leader Natalie Bennett, Wednesday at 1pm x

Most recent name to make you "huh?!"

(382 Posts)
zingally Thu 09-May-13 20:33:51

What names have you heard recently to make you stop in your tracks and wonder if the parents are a bit mad?

My most recent favourite is... Flossy, for a girl.
Made worse because my dads pet name for me is Flossy, or Floss. So to hear it as an ACTUAL name just makes me gawp.

Worst boys name - Banjo.

greenandcabbagelooking Fri 10-May-13 07:01:14

Paisley. It's not a pretty pattern, and the town's not amazing either, so why name your child after either of them?

usualsuspect Fri 10-May-13 07:01:35

Lots of names on this thread are not unusual.

ilikeyoursleeves Fri 10-May-13 07:01:37

There is Pocahontas McGuire in Glasgow, apparently!

Domino

iliketea Fri 10-May-13 07:07:35

I know an Albert - he's an awesome little boy and really suits his name (before I met his parents, I would have agreed it's an odd name,
but now I think it's a great choice).

Mehrida Fri 10-May-13 07:13:24

Not as weird or wonderful as some already mentioned, but when I heard about baby Jaxon my first thought was that it was a made up name. Jackson would've raised my eyebrows as it was unusual, but Jaxon?

But then I've gone through life having to spell my name for others so I empathise with the poor little mite.

ilikeyoursleeves Fri 10-May-13 07:16:15

I know a Jax. hmm

nonamenewname Fri 10-May-13 07:28:22

What usualsuspect said.

MardyBra Fri 10-May-13 07:29:54

shock at Jezebel. Thats like calling your child "Old Slag" or "Slapper".

OkayHazel Fri 10-May-13 08:34:55

Marking my place to watch this thread! It's a combination of hysterical and inspiring.

Doughnutmaestro Fri 10-May-13 08:51:15

My ds is Flynn, supposedly that's unusual round here. The next person to call him Finn will get a smack though! It's Flynn from tron not Finn from glee
I desperately wanted danger as his middle name but dh vetoed it and he got his granddads names instead (still sad)
I know an Alfred, he's three, not even shortened to Alfie or anything, his mums a hipster. He just got a new brother, I don't know his name yet but I can't wait lol

Doughnutmaestro Fri 10-May-13 08:53:00

I also know a couple with a dd called lois and a ds called Clark, apparently their dog is called kal-el.
Dads a big superman fan!

flybynight Fri 10-May-13 08:55:52

Miracle-Savoy for a girl and Jeeves for a boy. I thought they were both jokes.

FacebookWanker Fri 10-May-13 09:00:07

We had a Spike and a Chad at school.

I don't think Dotty or Flossie/Flossy are unusual names.

Finbarr dragon. It may possibly be the other way round I can't remember. Think the kid would be 8 or 9 now but my memory is a bit fuzzy.

memphis83 Fri 10-May-13 09:08:28

On fb saw a baby named La'Mae and to make it worse every single person said it was a gorgeous name!

sapphirestar Fri 10-May-13 09:09:04

I know a little boy called 'Bear'.

I thought it was a nickname/term of endearment.

It's not, Bear is really his name!

LemonPeculiarJones Fri 10-May-13 09:09:48

Miracle-Savoy? Brings to mind a magic sausage grin

LemonPeculiarJones Fri 10-May-13 09:10:23

Aw Bear is cute.

sapphirestar Fri 10-May-13 09:12:48

Yeah, while he's 4 but can you picture a stroppy teenager or a successful middle aged businessman called Bear?!

Chisbird Fri 10-May-13 09:13:34

Beau Bleu - just born last week

Trazzletoes Fri 10-May-13 09:13:40

I knew someone who married a girl called Ginger Lee.

Worse, Ginge for short sad

Little boy named Kahelan.

TripTheLightFanjotastic Fri 10-May-13 09:22:34

I know a little boy called Sincere hmm

Channel 5 milkshake were doing birthdays yesterday and there was a sweet little girl with the unfortunate name of...Kord hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now