Most recent name to make you "huh?!"

(382 Posts)
zingally Thu 09-May-13 20:33:51

What names have you heard recently to make you stop in your tracks and wonder if the parents are a bit mad?

My most recent favourite is... Flossy, for a girl.
Made worse because my dads pet name for me is Flossy, or Floss. So to hear it as an ACTUAL name just makes me gawp.

Worst boys name - Banjo.

Breezy1985 Fri 10-May-13 04:07:19

I know a baby boy called Random surname Chance - Random Chance!

Also know a baby girl called Jellybean hmm

Iteotwawki Fri 10-May-13 04:21:24

PTDG - I love Rumer Godden! She wrote Miss Happiness and Miss Flower and the Diddakoi. Now I have to go and hunt them out to read to the boys smile

Kiwiinkits Fri 10-May-13 04:22:09

PMSL at Ian and Alan

sleepingbeautiful Fri 10-May-13 04:34:16

When I had our twins a few months ago, the other set of twins in the neo-natal care unit were called Jase and J-lynn. Our nurse said 'but I hope you will pick proper names' for our then unnamed pair, lol.
Also know a baby Corbin, and met a little girl called Sunny who appeared to be quite sulky.

GreenLeafTea Fri 10-May-13 04:39:49

Colin. Weirdly his parents are very hip, musician-types.

I'm not sure if they were being ironic or if it is a family name or what.

Dd's second middle name is Elvis. Because she's only 9 people tend to look to me to see if she's telling the truth.

We aren't massive fans by the way. There is a story behind it.

ThatVikRinA22 Fri 10-May-13 04:48:32

i recently encountered Beyonce. not the one married to JZ. This one was 6.

Mockingcurl Fri 10-May-13 05:30:33

Heaven Lee

Accidentallyquirky Fri 10-May-13 05:46:06

I very often call my dd flossy in public I have no idea why but when she fannys about it sorta fits?
She likes to be called by various superhero names too and I oblige happily, now I'm hoping no one over hearing think that she's actually called flossy/Spider-Man ect!

I know a summah ( actually spelt and spoken with the ah on the end)

Lavenderhoney Fri 10-May-13 06:07:45

Tenile
Sapphire
Blossom
Django ( little boy)
Wren ( little girl) when the mum told me, not sure if it was her dm or her mil behind her, but she rolled her eyessmile

Wossname Fri 10-May-13 06:18:14

Mercy-Jo. Said with scouse accent so actually sounded like Mersey-Jo, took me a minute to stop boggling.

Wossname Fri 10-May-13 06:19:14

I quite like Wren now I think about it, Lavender!

CheerfulYank Fri 10-May-13 06:21:15

I know a few Wrens...I like it! No different from Robin or Martin. smile

Two recently: Maddux and Kinzley. Both babies in question are adorable and their parents lovely, but I just can't get behind it!

Of course we're planning on calling DD (due in 2 weeks) Margaret, and we've gotten some hmm a few times when we've mentioned it. It's all down to taste!

DangoDays Fri 10-May-13 06:26:13

Bankx

xigris Fri 10-May-13 06:27:04

Iteo and she wrote Mr McFadden's Halloween. One of my favourites smile
I know a Cedric and a Cecil (brothers)

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Fri 10-May-13 06:27:46

Spike is a brilliant name. There's a little boy in my DDs class called Spike and he's fantastic.

There's also a Rio (boy) - that I don't like.

Loveday for a girl - traditional Cornish name.

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Fri 10-May-13 06:29:08

Sorry to be clear it's the name Rio, not the little boy that I don't like blush

idonthaveone Fri 10-May-13 06:35:03

Twins Florence and Fred

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Fri 10-May-13 06:35:08

I once met one of the legendary Nevaeh's. (Heaven backwards).

I'd read about it here on the La-a type threads and didn't know how to react when I met this one in person!

Also a teenage Loveday, which is lovely. I quite like Cornish names (like Demelza).

GingerPCatt Fri 10-May-13 06:47:43

I met a lovely little girl called jezabel. When she said her name one mum even clarified in case we had misheard.
I know three American sisters, Ricci, randy, and Ryan. Apparently dad wanted boys.

ChristineDaae Fri 10-May-13 06:49:08

I quite like some of these names. Would rather them than yet another Lilly/Jack!
Oddest one I know - Arthur. He's 2....

usualsuspect Fri 10-May-13 06:50:23

Albert. Why would you call a boy such an awful old man's name.

Artichook Fri 10-May-13 06:52:52

Arthur is the 68th most popular boys name in the UK at the moment. It's not unusual at all.

usualsuspect Fri 10-May-13 06:58:25

Arthur is another one that makes me go 'huh'

mrssprout Fri 10-May-13 07:00:05

I second BookieMonster that Banjo is understandable if there is some Aussie connection. The Aussie actress Rachel Griffiths has a son Banjo which seemed to bring it back into use

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now