Mollie or Robyn?

(28 Posts)
elsabel Thu 09-May-13 20:03:56

Just that really ...trying to name dd1 and that is our very short short list! Am set on the spellings but am open to suggestions for other names i might like?

notso Fri 10-May-13 10:00:33

Mollie is definately not just a little girls name, most of the names which people class as little girly (Lily, Ruby, Millie, Molly) are also popular Grandma names.

Robyn - much much nicer, even though Molly is good.

Robyn is lovely. I'm bored shitless with Mollie.

elsabel Thu 09-May-13 23:05:26

I agree littlebells that Mollie from the Saturdays wears it well, was thinking the same myself earlier today. smile

I would like to think if i chose Mollie my mum would grow to like it and she has basically said she would. I think if i found something i liked equally id be ok with not using it but not sure i have.

Dont think i would want nicknames used for Mollie or Robyn, dont feel they need them.

MerryMarigold Thu 09-May-13 23:02:40

Oh you can be called anything if you're a pop star. Even Cheryl FGS, which is probably one of the least glamourous names in the universe.

LittleBells Thu 09-May-13 23:00:17

Mollie out of the Saturdays wears it well as an adult woman, no? smile

OP I think you should either choose Mollie, if that has been your name for a DD since forever; I reckon your mum will get used to it so quickly and wonder why she ever wasn't keen smile... or pick something else that makes your heart sing every time you think of it.

Do you think if you don't choose Mollie after all this time that it'll always be a regret?

BonzoDooDah Thu 09-May-13 22:58:03

Whatever your mum says about the name she WILL love it when it belongs to her granddaughter. Go with your own heart.

Chavvytastic Thu 09-May-13 22:54:58

Love Robyn.

MerryMarigold Thu 09-May-13 22:51:12

I much prefer Robyn.

But agree that Rowan is a nice alternative.

I think Mollie is so little girly. I really think it's odd on a 50 year old, even a 20 year old!

TwllBach Thu 09-May-13 22:47:37

I bloody love the name Robyn for a girl but I hate the nicknames I've found for it so far sad

Molly Robyn Symons sounds lovely grin

elsabel Thu 09-May-13 22:46:22

Oh, and my Mum doesnt like Mollie, although she doesnt say it now after the first time i shouted at her for giving me her opinion when i didnt ask for it, i know she doesnt like it and it bothers me

elsabel Thu 09-May-13 22:44:48

Well Mollie has been my favourite name for a long time now and have always been able to 'picture' myself with a girl called Mollie (hope that makes sense!) Where as Robyn was a name we came up woth just a few weeks ago and feel in love with, but some days i like it more than others.

JennyMakkers Thu 09-May-13 22:24:05

Robin/Robyn

Molly/Mollie is a bit tired at this stage.

Startail Thu 09-May-13 21:32:34

Robyn, I've only known one where as we have a lot of Mollies.

Being one of the younger ones with something common is irritating.

LittleBells Thu 09-May-13 21:21:13

Also, there has been a lot of talk even on MN recently of Robin/Robyn, so even if it's not as popular as Molly/Mollie (which is timeless anyway, like Alice), there may well be a Robin/Robyn trend coming up so I wouldn't make popularity part of your decision.

What does your heart say?

LittleBells Thu 09-May-13 21:19:52

Aw, Mollie Symons sounds lovely! It flows really well smile

elsabel Thu 09-May-13 21:09:30

Thanks everyone. She will have the last name Symons. Which thankfully alot goes with but doesnt narrow it down much!

WildRumpus Thu 09-May-13 21:06:42

Both lovely but there are quite a few Mollys and Mollies around at the mo and practically no Robyns or Robins. Maybe think about how each sounds with your surname too.

Robyn, Robin or Rowan, all beautiful.

I really loathe Molly/Mollie. It's an ugly sound.

SummersComing1111 Thu 09-May-13 20:56:20

Robyn grin

5madthings Thu 09-May-13 20:55:42

Robyn smile

notso Thu 09-May-13 20:55:09

I love both so firmly on the fence. grin Though I prefer Molly to Mollie.
Robyn Molly
Molly Robyn

LaydeeC Thu 09-May-13 20:49:59

Robyn/Robin

or Rowan

Mintyy Thu 09-May-13 20:12:44

Robyn. A beautiful name.

<plus there are thousands of Mollies/Mollys>

ShadowStorm Thu 09-May-13 20:11:54

Mollie

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now