Jess for a boy....

(35 Posts)
ELR Thu 09-May-13 19:48:44

DH has just told me he likes the name Jess for a boy, I sort of like it but am undecided. We like the name Isla for a girl.
We already have two children a dd and a ds not pregnant yet but we are thinking about ttc no3 soon, we like to get names sorted first!

noddyholder Thu 09-May-13 22:57:59

Fgs

We have a Jesse, late teens now, but I think probably 95% of the time he gets called Jess. People who know him always end up shortening it to Jess, and I probably only use Jesse when he's in trouble! For example his football coach and entire team call him Jess.

I've asked him quite a few times if he ever had any issue with his name but he swears he never had any comments.

I think Jesse is great, just use that and shorten it to Jess when you fancy.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Fri 10-May-13 10:19:49

Were you thinking of the Johnny Cash song "A boy named Sue" Corygal?!

I like Jesse (yes 2nd 'e' said aloud) but not Jess for a boy.

Jesse is one of those names sometimes labelled 'trying too hard" but what a nice change from the top 10. Does it sound all right with your other DCs' names is all I'd ask?

ELR Fri 10-May-13 10:27:15

My other two are Holly and Joe so think Jesse sounds ok with them.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Fri 10-May-13 10:35:53

smile It's green lights for a 2014 baby Jesse (or a DD!) then.

ELR Fri 10-May-13 10:48:07

Thanks donkey! We have chosen Isla for a girl. Will be ttc from August.

Littlehousesomewhere Fri 10-May-13 13:28:08

I think you should go with Jesse as he would mistaken for a girl with just Jess imo. Jess is fine as a nickname though.

DebsMorgan Fri 10-May-13 14:12:00

Jesse is a fabulous name, I love it.

TalkUsernameYoudLike Fri 10-May-13 14:57:16

I like Jesse/Jess and would use it, BUT (and like some have already said) it's the teasing thing.

tilder Fri 10-May-13 20:02:09

It's not just in Scotland that the term 'you big Jessie' gets used. It means you daft bugger, you big softie, you idiot etc.

I would think his name being mistaken for a girl's would be the least of my concerns.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now