Go on be brutal. We have a list for DS2...

(86 Posts)
Kyrptonite Thu 09-May-13 13:49:31

I'm not overly fussed about how well they go with the other DCs. After all as an adult how often do you say yours and your siblings names together?

My names:
Cooper
Thomas
Woodrow (Woody)

DPs names (as I'm pretending to humour him):
Thompson
Gibson
Hendrix
Wolfric

Last name is double barralled. First part rhymes with tasted and second is castle. Other DCs are Lilly, Jack and Alexandra.

lljkk Tue 14-May-13 07:19:52

oops, sorry I meant Les for Gibson not Paul, oops!

lljkk Tue 14-May-13 07:18:16

Wolfric got votes of approval here.

Bit of a Rock & Roll your DH, eh? I like the originality, your choices are a bit dull in my mind. That said:
Woody & Wolfric are equally horrible imho. Rest are okay.

If he likes Hendrix & Gibson, why not Paul or Jimmy/James which go well with your other DC names, too? Alice Cooper's real name is Vincent, any good?

mathanxiety Tue 14-May-13 06:44:24

Don't pick Cooper. Inspired by Sleepywombat's post - I know a large dog of that name and he is known by his many friends and fans, and especially by his walkers, as 'Pooper'. He is terrifying to look at as he has a lot of Doberman in him but he's actually a gentle soul.

Thomas is the best name of the lot.

I like the suggestion of Marshall too.

sleepywombat Tue 14-May-13 05:32:10

'I'd go with Cooper, I'd be more intrigued to meet a Cooper whereas if you throw a stick there's a fair to middling chance you'll hit a Thomas.'

Completely the opposite here (QLD Australia). Cooper was the most popular boys' name in 2011 here & no.2 in 2012. Can't stand it. For me it sounds 'chavvy' (for want of a better word - know you lot don't like it) & I think of pooper scooper!

Go with Thomas.

Decoy Mon 13-May-13 23:56:35

The name isn't Edwood though.

hbmeic Mon 13-May-13 23:53:35

They are all really awful, sorry. Give him a proper name like your other DCS.

TiggyD Mon 13-May-13 22:57:39

Edward but called Woody is good.

TiggyD Mon 13-May-13 22:52:46

Cooper - Nah.
Thomas - OK but lots of them.
Woodrow (Woody) - God no.
Thompson - Is he a gazelle or a machine gun?
Gibson - After the famous sexist anti-Semite?
Hendrix - Hippy crap.
Wolfric - Oh now you're just taking the piss!

forgetmenots Mon 13-May-13 22:34:52

I just think he will have two boys, one called Jack (consistently the most popular boys name) and one called something really out there - doesn't fit!
So on that basis, Thomas, though it wouldn't be my pick of a name to be honest.

I had thought Marshall like Jumpingjacksprat, just stay away from Les Paul, and Fender won't work!

twinklestar2 Mon 13-May-13 21:43:14

Lol @ 'woody being a grower' grin

I'd go for Edward with the nickname Woody.

StrawberryMojito Mon 13-May-13 20:29:19

Cooper

JumpingJackSprat Mon 13-May-13 20:28:09

Am i sensing a theme with gibson and hendrix...? If so what about marshall? :D i know someone who named his son after his amp as gibson got vetoed! How about Saul after Slash of guns n roses fame if you dont like hendrix? Saul is not too out there i think but not common either. Love your guys taste in names, (not woody though!!) makes a change from the usual names on here which are the same thread after thread! smile

JennyEnglish Mon 13-May-13 20:21:02

It has to be Thomas.

Especially as your other children's names are normal.

JojoMags Mon 13-May-13 20:18:53

Cooper makes me think of mini coopers and mini is not a nn any boy wants!

CPtart Mon 13-May-13 20:12:57

MummyBurrows - my DS goes to school with a Maximus!

Thomas is ok, best of a bad bunch.

LadyLech Mon 13-May-13 19:45:05

My Godson is a Woody (short for Woodrow) and whilst at first everyone was very hmm about it, now it is just his name and everyone accepts it. He doesn't get teased at school, children don't think twice about it. I think he has more toy story comments than anything else.

Woody is definitely a grower, and I now quite like it smile.

VerySmallSqueak Mon 13-May-13 18:29:28

I like Hendrix.

jellybeans Mon 13-May-13 18:27:44

Thomas

is the only nice one, sorry!

Theas18 Mon 13-May-13 08:11:21

go for Thomas or Thompson .He'll be tom almost all his life anyway and you'll both have " won"

James Marshall is the ideal compromise for your DH. It was Jimi Hendrix's name and has a nod to Marshall amplification too but is nice and ordinary to pacify the Mumsnet jury!

Don't do Thomas please too Tank Enginey.

AmandaPayneNeedsANap Thu 09-May-13 16:23:33

Thomas is fine, and goes with the siblings. I'm not a big one for worrying if sibling names match (my two don't), but I do think it's a bit weird if there are three that do and an odd one out.

Cooper is ok, though I'm not a big fan of 'surname as first name'.

Your husband's list is awful. If he wants to name him after a guitar or a musician surely it's Orville and Jimmy (was his full name James?).

teatimesthree Thu 09-May-13 16:22:26

"I really like Wolfric, and I think Wolfric Wasted-Castle nn Foxy has a good ring to it." Hahahaha!

squoosh Thu 09-May-13 16:16:42

I'd go with Cooper, I'd be more intrigued to meet a Cooper whereas if you throw a stick there's a fair to middling chance you'll hit a Thomas.

OneLittleToddleTerror Thu 09-May-13 16:15:27

Cooper is nice btw. I don't have a problem with American names. (As long as they don't have a different meaning here). And really there's nothing wrong if the name is a bit American, is there?

Kyrptonite Thu 09-May-13 16:12:41

We are tossing (snigger) up between Cooper and Thomas at the moment.

Lets forget I mentioned Woody. Baby brain made me think of cowboys and not cocks as it should have done!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now