Go on be brutal. We have a list for DS2...

(86 Posts)
Kyrptonite Thu 09-May-13 13:49:31

I'm not overly fussed about how well they go with the other DCs. After all as an adult how often do you say yours and your siblings names together?

My names:
Cooper
Thomas
Woodrow (Woody)

DPs names (as I'm pretending to humour him):
Thompson
Gibson
Hendrix
Wolfric

Last name is double barralled. First part rhymes with tasted and second is castle. Other DCs are Lilly, Jack and Alexandra.

squoosh Thu 09-May-13 14:30:03

grin at Wolfric, especially as all your other kids have such Top 10 type names. Maybe he feels this is his last chance, or maybe he realises he has no chance!

How does someone who likes Mercutio, Amadeus, Wolfric and Hemingway end up with a Jack and a Lily?

From your list I like Woodrow best. And suddenly, I'm coming round to Wolfric............little Wolfie wink

Machli Thu 09-May-13 14:31:25

If I had to choose one, HAD to, Thomas would be the only I would consider.

JojoMags Thu 09-May-13 14:31:48

I'm sorry I just can't get over how nuts your list is. Is the craziest ever. Please don't use anything other than Thomas. The rest sound like the cast of some way over the top American spoof.

starfishmummy Thu 09-May-13 14:33:07

Thomas

unebagpipe Thu 09-May-13 14:33:08

Only Thomas. Think in your head about your child using the other names to introduce himself in the future, and others reactions. (Please).

Chavvytastic Thu 09-May-13 14:33:35

Personally I think Wolfric is an improvement (minor one) on Woodrow.

Thomas is the best from your lists. The others would make me snigger.

Sorry but you said be brutal!

yousankmybattleship Thu 09-May-13 14:34:19

I like the bonkersness of your list. Please go with Thomas though. Poor child!

FoxyRevenger Thu 09-May-13 14:34:30

Hmm I'm not keen on any of them - the most normal is Thomas but I find it a bit weedy sounding.

Erm...Carter? Fraser? Jonathan - could be Jon or Jonny...?

Kyrptonite Thu 09-May-13 14:35:06

My original list was Charlie, Henry, Reggie etc. which DP liked until the scan when he completely changed his mind hmm

I don't think I would actually use any but Thomas or Cooper from the lists. I just needed to be reassured that the rest were awful so I can work on DP!

Chavvytastic Thu 09-May-13 14:35:12

Actually looking at the names of your other children I think to call your child anything other than the Thomas on your lists would give him an inferiorty complex as he grows up and wonders why he got a freaky name and all his siblings normal ones!

Chavvytastic Thu 09-May-13 14:35:45

Henry is lovely.

Allalonenow Thu 09-May-13 14:46:34

I really like Wolfric, and I think Wolfric Wasted-Castle nn Foxy has a good ring to it.

Thomas is also very nice.

CockyFox Thu 09-May-13 14:49:17

Henry would be my choice, better than Thomas.

juneau Thu 09-May-13 14:58:53

Are you American?

What the f*ck does that have to do with anything? Why is it okay to bash Americans when it's not acceptable to bash other nationalities? Really pisses me off!

I prefer Thomas or Woody.

squoosh Thu 09-May-13 15:04:56

Americans do come in for a proper bashing. You'd never read 'Are you French? It's horrible'.

caramelwaffle Thu 09-May-13 15:07:56

Thomas or Henry.

None of the others.

Kyrptonite Thu 09-May-13 15:08:01

I assumed the American comment was because Cooper is quite popular there and I'm pretty sure Woodrow was a presidents name.

swavesey Thu 09-May-13 15:09:41

Zoe Ball has a son called Woody

Ubermumsy Thu 09-May-13 15:11:45

Thomas.

But I'm very traditional when it comes to names. And these threads never end well anyway...

JojoMags Thu 09-May-13 15:15:43

re. the American issue (at the risk of going off topic) its because we share a language but they have a very distinctive culture of giving Christian names that in Britain would only usually be used as surnames and therefore seem 'wrong' and uprooted in a traditionally British context.

MadBusLady Thu 09-May-13 15:15:54

I quite like Cooper and Thompson, but Gibson just doesn't translate to first name use to me. I don't think "Gib/Gibby" sounds very nice as a nickname whereas T(h)om and Coop do sound like boys, albeit possibly boys from a great American novel.

I love Wolf but Wolfric isn't a nice full form - Wulfstan is nicer, though equally out there. Hendrix is ok, not awful, can't get excited about it. Thomas is nice but meh. Woody is an erection, sorry!

MadBusLady Thu 09-May-13 15:17:43

By the way, I got given a slightly "out there" name where my brother got a solid, traditional top-10 name, and yes I did/do notice and wonder what the hell they were thinking grin

OneLittleToddleTerror Thu 09-May-13 15:27:52

I think the guess at being American is that woody means a certain erect male organ. I assume this is not the meaning in the US.

It's the same as naming your daughter Fanny.

sleepingbeautiful Thu 09-May-13 15:42:33

They're not my taste, but I can see a mini Cooper (heh) and a grown up Cooper.
Woodrow is the worst one. Woody is to big a cross to bear at school.
I actually had a great uncle named Gibson (Gib), who was extremely British and extremely posh, so it doesn't sound that weird to me.

sleepingbeautiful Thu 09-May-13 15:43:14

*too big

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now