So possible names I'm liking if DC2 is a girl:

Anna
Amber
Kitty
Marcy
Marnie
Marley
Nola (possible nn Noely?)

What do you think? I reckon Marnie is about to explode in popularity, as it is a character from that Girls show and Lily Allen picked it for her daughter; also apparently it's now one of the most looked-up names on Nameberry. So that puts me off that a bit. I have a very common name for someone of my generation and I got tired of always being one of two or three in my class at school, I would like to avoid that for my DD if possible.

I also like 'surname' names, like Taylor, but will they seem dated in 20 years?

DS is Gabriel, by the way.

gottogetup Thu 09-May-13 15:01:01

LOVE Nola..have given my 3 week old DD this name x

JojoMags Thu 09-May-13 13:56:13

I love Anna and Kitty. Don't like the others. Sorry.

jessip123 Thu 09-May-13 11:07:10

I love Marcy considering it too- thought I preferred Marcie spelling but maybe not now! I know a Kitty, she is v cute, stylish, pretty and outgoing.
I think Anna is lovely but a bit standard now while your others are more out of ordinary/special. Also same thoughts re. Marnie with Lily Allen & Tamsin Outhwaite choosing it?

UnrequitedSkink Wed 08-May-13 17:42:29

How about Marlo? Or Marlo-Kitty?

FingersCrossedLegsNot Wed 08-May-13 11:37:48

Love Kitty

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Wed 08-May-13 10:49:32

For Kitty, how about Nikita? <Tries to come up with something useful and fails>.

SleepyCatOnTheMat Wed 08-May-13 10:22:15

Katrina unfortunately is out as it is the name of an ex-friend, but thank you.

SleepyCatOnTheMat Wed 08-May-13 10:19:55

Thank you Bowler. According to one of my baby name books Marnie is an established shortening of Marina, but I'm don't much like that - to me it is a place where you park boats. Apparently Marnie can also be short for Marian and Marnina (a Hebrew name, the male variant of which is Marnin). Don't know what I think about those. And on a thread on here just recently there was a poster called Marnie whose full name is Hermione, that's quite nice.

Bowlersarm Wed 08-May-13 08:28:38

Just as an aside, although we loved Marnie and would def have gone with it, we didn't think it was a complete name and would have gone with Marina nn Marnie, (although I think we have made that combination up). There just seemed more substance to the name like that.

Hope your hangover clears soon OP.

sleepingbeautiful Wed 08-May-13 08:23:37

I thought Kitty was commonly short for Kathleen, but agree it works for Katrina.
I like Anna, but if you do have a dull surname it might be blah.
Felicity I love (wanted for our DD but sadly DH vetoed it from my list).
Marley is either a pet name or a boy name to me. Marlee is the girl version, but I know a very annoying one.

MagicBaguette Wed 08-May-13 07:58:25

I know a Katrina who is shortened to Kitty

SleepyCatOnTheMat Wed 08-May-13 07:55:59

And now I've put one bracket instead of two coz I'm hungover smile

Slinks off to the pedant's corner

SleepyCatOnTheMat Wed 08-May-13 07:46:17

Sorry, frontrunners not forerunners (was drunk when I wrote that post, it's quite amazing that was the only mistake (should probably add I'm not pregnant! Just thinking about starting TTC).

I've thought hard about names Kitty could be short for, as I agree it is very nicknamey (unlike, say, Marnie, which somehow feels more complete) (I'm not overly keen on Catherine). I like Caitlin, pronounced 'Kate-lin', but I read somewhere that the proper Irish pronunciation of is 'Cotch-leen' and I'm not sure you should use a name if you are going to mangle its pronunciation, especially if your DP is three-quarters Irish! Spelling it Katelyn doesn't look right and anyway she'd spend her lifetime spelling it out to people. DP isn't keen on other names it could be short for, such as Christina and Christabel (love Christabel).

WouldBeHarrietVane Tue 07-May-13 23:47:00

Anna is wonderful. A strong take you anywhere, classless stylish name. Anna could be a baby, an adult, an actress or a dr.

Kitty to me is a nn for a bc name of Catherine.

Not keen on the others.

lottiegarbanzo Tue 07-May-13 23:39:35

Anna, kitty and marnie are lovely. Marcy ok. Not keen on the others.

Marley is a dog (Marley and Me) or the old man in A Christmas Carol. Amber was a slow, stubborn little pony I knew but, more generally, I've always thought it's one of those names, like Jade and Tallulah, that inhabit the upper and lower ends of the social spectrum only, not anywhere in the middle.

Felicity is really nice too.

SleepyCatOnTheMat Tue 07-May-13 23:24:16

Yes, I have been wondering whether or not Anna is a bit dull. It doesn't help that we have an extremely common surname (think Smith/Jones).

Kubalai Tue 07-May-13 23:18:23

Love Kitty, like Anna, not so keen on others.

Felicity is ok but I went to school with a couple and they were very horsey, so it has associations for me!

thermalsinapril Tue 07-May-13 23:18:07

Amber is lovely and my favourite from your list.

Marcy and Marnie also quite nice, but nicknamey. Maisie is another similar one I like. Marley sounds more like a surname though (Bob Marley).

Anna is dull - Amber has much more about it. I don't like cats so Kitty is not for me.

Nola reminds me of the Nolan sisters (how about Nina?)

SleepyCatOnTheMat Tue 07-May-13 23:16:06

Hmm...so Amber, Anna and Marnie seem to be forerunners (Marnie is so going to be popular!). I forgot to say I also quite like Felicity - this is sad but true; M&S have a set of duvet covers out at the minute they're calling the Felicity Rose bed set and when I saw that in the brochure I was like that's a brilliant name. Felicity Rose - what do people think?

P.S. I have been imbibing (posh) cider this evening and apologise now for any subsequent incoherence.

Littlecherublegs Tue 07-May-13 21:23:27

Anna is by the far the best from your shortlist IMO.

Amber is nice too; dont like the others (sorry).

LousThighBurn Tue 07-May-13 20:16:12

Anna,Amber and Marnie are my favourites from your list.

SleepyCatOnTheMat Tue 07-May-13 20:13:01

Yes, Tamsin Outhwaite does have a Marnie.

Jojay Tue 07-May-13 20:10:33

Anna, by a mile. Beautiful, classic and underused.

wigglesrock Tue 07-May-13 20:09:46

I have an Anna, it's a beautiful name but it's popular where I am, if that bothers you. I like all your names I am about as much use as a chocolate fireguard but I particularly like Nola. I know one and its lovely. Marnie always makes me think of the film. Gabriel was on my boys names list - I have 3 girls grin

Bowlersarm Tue 07-May-13 20:08:52

Marnie was my choice for a DD 12 years ago. He was a DS. I still love it after all this time. It would be interesting to see if it takes off, as in all that time i haven't come across one personally. I think Tamsin Outhwaite has one as well?

So that would get my vote. I also love Anna and Kitty from your list.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now