Rohan or Rowan?

(37 Posts)
Cookethenook Mon 06-May-13 21:27:44

For DS2.

I like both spellings, but dp prefers Rohan as Rowan is more feminine in his opinion (I agree as I know a girl Rowan, but don't mind) I'm just slightly concerned that people will pronounce it Row-han instead of Row-en.

So, how would you say Rohan, which spelling do you prefer for a lad and also, suggestions for a middle name (we were thinking Felix)?

flowery Thu 09-May-13 15:04:01

Rowan
[biased]

NumTumDeDum Thu 09-May-13 15:04:11

Rowan is definitely a boy's name imo. I'd have gone for Rowena if I'd had a girl. What about Alfred as a middle name?

Weegiemum Thu 09-May-13 15:10:54

I see it as very much a girls name, with an "ow" rather than an "oh" sound.

I'm in Scotland, though, and know several girls called Rowan, including one of dd1's best friends. It's normally as in Rowan tree.

I don't like Felix. Felix is a cat.

NumTumDeDum Thu 09-May-13 16:11:27

Two famous male Rowans - Rowan Atkinson and Rowan Williams (ex Arch Bishop of Canterbury)

thegreylady Thu 09-May-13 19:12:40

Rowan is a girl [her surname is Marlowe smile ] and Rohan is a boy and a pair of walking trousers-I know a 7 year old Rohan.I'd pronounce them both the same though.

MissTweed Fri 10-May-13 04:12:15

Rohan definitely as the only rowans u know are girls

Suzieismyname Fri 10-May-13 04:24:07

Rowan. It's classic but not frequently used. I always think of Rowan Atkinson.
Rohan is a clothes shop. You wouldn't call your son Millets or Selfridges or Matalan, would you?

toffeelolly Fri 10-May-13 04:32:41

Rowan is spelling for a boy. Know 2 boy's who are rowan.

kickassangel Fri 10-May-13 06:04:44

Rohan is an Asian name, and fairly common in some communities. Pronounced Roe-Haan.

Use it if you want, but expect the H to be sounded by quite a few people, whether they know about the Asian name or not.

Laquila Fri 10-May-13 09:05:55

I think Rowan or Roan are best for a boy. I would probably pronounce Rohan the same, as Row-an, but then would quietly wonder afterwards whether I should have said it 'Ro-Han'.

I once knew an Indian girl with a nephew called Rohinth, which I thought was gorgeous (also love Rohinton).

Do you like Roman?

Cookethenook Mon 13-May-13 11:34:55

Thanks everyone- i think we're going with Rowan. Asked DP's family and they also thought it was the more phonetic and nicer spelling.

That, and very very oddly, we walked past Rowan Atkinson on Saturday!

AnayaLa Tue 10-Jun-14 08:55:39

So silly. Rohan is a very old name with both Sanskrit/Hindi and Irish/Gaelic origins, the Sanskrit meaning is "one who takes the higher path" or " one who rises, ascends or achieves great heights." Note that Sanskrit is considered to be one of the oldest languages in the world (though like Latin no longer spoken) if not arguably, the oldest.

It did not originate with the Lord of the Rings or become popular because of a clothing store brand. Do your research people!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now