Care to peruse my girls list?

(93 Posts)

We don't know the sex yet,but we have a very small boys list and will probbaly settle on one soon.Girls,I'm having more trouble with...
Will be a sibling to Skye and Arlo.

Opinions and suggestions please,I've looked at a lot of names (this is a very short list in comparison!) but I haven't found 'the one' yet,unless one of these grows on me....

Etta
Sylvie
Ivy
Elsa
Romy
Hera
Nell
Merryn (merry)
Vita
Pippa
Zinnia
Calla
Rita

VAVA Urm,yes,that may have been me...I'm normally some variation on Frigg...

I do love baby names grin and this will be my last it took me long enough to convince DP it was a wonderful idea,I think he'd keel over at the idea of DC4 so it neeeeeeds to be perfect.

miffybun73 Mon 06-May-13 20:36:53

If I heard the name Skye I'd think working class and the name Arlo, Upper class, would not in a million years expect them to be siblings.

Both lovely names, but surprised that they have been chosen by the same person.

I love Nell and Sylvie from your list smile

Snazzynewyear Mon 06-May-13 20:39:10

I like Romy and Pippa and think those go with the names of the other DC.

MortifiedAdams Mon 06-May-13 20:40:41

OP, I love all of your names and have all of them on a list as a possible sister to DD (Meg). DHs favourite is Pippa which means we will probably use that

5madthings Mon 06-May-13 20:44:40

Well Merryn is obviously the best name grin

I also like Sylvie, Ivy (had it on my list and dp said no). Like Nell and Etta and Elsa.

Also Esme, violet but I think its got popular... Bonnie, Felicity, Eden (one of dd's middle names).

Names are hard, I always think you need to see the baby to see what suits, my mil still complains that it took us a fortnight to name two of the madthings and a week for the others...

Put up a pic when baby arrives and then I shall be able to help more grin

You quite clearly have fabulous taste in names so an sure you will choose well!

Miffy they weren't chosen by the same person.
And I'm sad to see your post,it confirms my fears sad

DP chose DD's name (He's a bit of a hippy hmm) I never much liked it,but he was so sure and I really didn't have a favourite that he didn't hate.
I so wish I had stuck by Matilda (her mn). But by the time I realised I wouldn't grow to love it,she was too old for us to change it.
DP feels pretty horrible that he pushed me into using a name i didn't love so when we had DS I had the final say as I couldn't bear to get it 'wrong' again.

Aww,thanks fivemad grin

5madthings Mon 06-May-13 20:47:09

I like Skye and it makes me think of the isle of Skye. Matilda is lovely and again ruled out by my dp...

What about Iona?

invicta Mon 06-May-13 20:52:04

Love Elsa, and Sylvie is okay. Not keen on the others.

Well, Skye is a stunning place, dramatic, atmospheric and just downright beautiful. Maybe your Skye will visit sometime and be in awe of where her name came from. We almost named our son Blaven after a mountain on Skye but wimped out. I so wish we had done it tho.

rambososcar Mon 06-May-13 21:03:26

Sylvie - pretty and chic.

I know a Skye in RL who has a younger sister called Silver.

I love the name skye and will be the middle name for this one if its a girl.

I love Calla on your list, I love the flower.

And I hace a real soft spot for Merryn.

Also names I love on a similar vein are

Thea
Ayla
Mabel
Hazel

Viviennemary Mon 06-May-13 21:27:10

I like Sylvia but not Sylvia so much.

Thankyou for your comments on DD's name smile Skye is indeed a beautiful place,I worked on an island close to it for a summer and visited often.
Iona and Islay are gorgeous too,and pretty names,but all I can think of is the smell of the whiskey in the morning from the distilerrys (sp?!) grin

5madthings Mon 06-May-13 21:39:50

Oh yes hazel is another we had on our list. Also I love Thalia, but as we have a Theo we couldnt use thalia!

Were you on Raasay Frigg? I worked beside a chap from Raasay for a while.

No,not Raasay, Colonsay.

blondieminx Mon 06-May-13 21:45:23

I like Etta and Elsa from your list smile

I love Thalia,and Thea and a few others with a Th sound....unfortunately DP has a very slight lisp that really comes into it's own when he tries to say those sounds. <pouts>

Exhaustipated Mon 06-May-13 22:28:06

Personally I really genuinely wouldn't think twice about siblings called Skye, Arlo and any of your choices! They are all interesting, slightly left field, quite current but not overly so.

My faves from this list are Etta and Merryn.

OrangeFootedScrubfowl Mon 06-May-13 22:34:28

What about Ailsa?

And yes I do honestly think the names I put from your 'cannot use' list could move easily to the 'can'.

<moves list about,squeezes in Betsy,Tabitha,Ida and Mabel>
grin

I like Ailsa too actually....

Thankyou Exaustipated that's nice to hear!

sleepywombat Tue 07-May-13 05:05:07

I love the name Skye (Arlo, not so much) - definitely not lower class!

I vote Etta or Romy.

Kyrptonite Tue 07-May-13 05:15:30

Romy is lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now