Girls middle name for a little boy??!

(34 Posts)
Emlyric Mon 06-May-13 08:02:52

So, our third little boy is due in 8 weeks and I have a middle-name dilema! I am very close to my mum and keen to use her name as a second middle name for one of our children - she is the most amazing lady - however, given we are blessed with boys it makes it a bit more tricky! Her name is Carol, which traditionally is a male name, and also has a dutch spelling Karel which is still used for boys over there - my husband is dutch so we have a tenous claim to use it 'legitimately' but I wanted to know thoughts! Am I condemning this wee one to a lifetime of friends sniggering at his passport?! Should we amend it to Karel or brazen it out with Carol?! xx

rambososcar Mon 06-May-13 21:07:12

I had an Uncle Carol so I never think of it as anything other than a man's name but kids with a tendency to bully might not see it that way. I'd be wary of using it and would prefer to use a maiden surname or the name of my maternal grandfather or uncle instead.

Wouldntyouliketoknow Sun 12-May-13 13:43:07

I would use Karel. Or what about letting your mother choose a middle name, so even though it's not after her she is still 'part' of it?

Limelight Sun 12-May-13 13:49:23

I think it's fine but then I am named after my DGF - his middle name is my first name. And it's def a girl's name!

He was the youngest of lots and lots of boys, so the family story is that my great Grandparents had run out of boy's names by the time they got to him. grin

LynetteScavo England Sun 12-May-13 13:53:05

Now I was all set to say don't be ridiculous you can't give a boy a girls name but Carols not so bad. Hillary, Lesley, Carol.....

bingeddybongo Sun 12-May-13 14:07:52

Just like Bowlersarm, I've got a boy's name as my middle name and it's done my head in my whole life. It's caused all my friends endless amusement though. Just so you know ;)

jkklpu Sun 12-May-13 22:01:34

What's your Mum's maiden name - have you thought of using that?

olivertheoctopus Sun 12-May-13 22:07:34

Karel works just fine. Link proven no probs if your DH is Dutch.

Likesshinythings Sun 12-May-13 22:10:14

There was a famous male Carol - Carol Reed, film director and uncle of Oliver Reed. He directed the film Oliver.

GibberTheMonkey Sun 12-May-13 23:25:36

Another vote for Karel smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now