Girls middle name for a little boy??!

(34 Posts)
Emlyric Mon 06-May-13 08:02:52

So, our third little boy is due in 8 weeks and I have a middle-name dilema! I am very close to my mum and keen to use her name as a second middle name for one of our children - she is the most amazing lady - however, given we are blessed with boys it makes it a bit more tricky! Her name is Carol, which traditionally is a male name, and also has a dutch spelling Karel which is still used for boys over there - my husband is dutch so we have a tenous claim to use it 'legitimately' but I wanted to know thoughts! Am I condemning this wee one to a lifetime of friends sniggering at his passport?! Should we amend it to Karel or brazen it out with Carol?! xx

couldn't you use Carl? Obviously up to you but I wouldn't use a girl's name as a middle name for a boy.

raisah Mon 06-May-13 08:06:11

Use Karel or Charles as an alternative.
Lovely idea to name your son after your mum.

mirai Mon 06-May-13 08:06:12

Are you seriously asking whether you should give a boy the name Carol? Seriously?!

raisah Mon 06-May-13 08:08:22

Or Carl I forgot about that name as you dont hear of many new babies called Carl nowadays. Time for a change.

GeordieCherry Mon 06-May-13 08:08:38

Cathel is the Gaelic version, what about that?

Jenijena Mon 06-May-13 08:10:39

Could you use her surname (or maiden name)?

OhTinky Mon 06-May-13 08:12:19

Carlo?

BNmum Mon 06-May-13 08:19:13

Jenijena got there first but I was going to suggest using your mums maiden name

cheekbyjowl Mon 06-May-13 08:45:43

I think you can get away with karel. Its unusual enough that I wouldnt think of carol. But, you need a macho first name and strong surname ...i.e if your surname is lily and your chosen first name is Vivian...then perhaps re think it.

katkoala Mon 06-May-13 08:54:05

I would suggest Carl or Karl...my uncles have the name Maria as a mn (my grandparents used the name Mary in some form for their 3 dd and twin sons)...we still take the pi$$ 55 years later!

HongkongDreamer Mon 06-May-13 09:02:11

What about carlos

EssieW Mon 06-May-13 09:09:45

I think using carol would be fine. I've heard it as male name before

Purplehulk Mon 06-May-13 09:45:51

I know a man with the mn Carroll. He uses it in his email addy so it has obviously never caused him embarrassment.

almapudden Mon 06-May-13 09:47:29

Carol is a boys' name. Pope John Paul II's real name was Carol; he was Polish.

It's just an alternative to Charles.

ClaraOswald Mon 06-May-13 09:50:20

I would go with the Dutch link and use Karel.

Bowlersarm Mon 06-May-13 09:50:46

Don't do it.

I have a boys name as my middle name (an old family surname which happens to be a boys name as well). I hate it, and just don't use it at all. I'm baffled as to why my parents thought i would like having it as part of my name.

ShipwreckedAndComatose Mon 06-May-13 09:54:36

Another vote for the surname here...you are setting him up as bullying fodder

I would go with Karel. It's a handsome name and isn't a girl's name either.

KateBeckett Mon 06-May-13 10:12:01

Karel is fine smile reminds me of Karel Abram the moto gp rider!

JacqueslePeacock Mon 06-May-13 10:16:10

I know a man called Carol. Never considered it odd, really - it is a man's name in several languages.

lastnightidreamt Mon 06-May-13 10:18:20

I would go with Karel - lovely.

ryanboy Mon 06-May-13 10:18:29

Is using her maiden name a possibility?

KittenofDoom Mon 06-May-13 16:33:15

Even in English, Carol can also be a man's name. (eg film director Sir Carol Reed).

However I think you're on dodgy ground naming a boy Carol after a woman. Different if it was after your father or uncle, say.

I'd go for one of the indisputably masculine variants. Save Carol in case you have a girl some day.

YouDontWinFriendsWithSalad Mon 06-May-13 20:35:08

I don't think there's anything wrong with using Carol, I've heard it as a boys' name before.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now