Hamish if your not Scottish

(12 Posts)
AitchTwoOhOneTwo Sun 05-May-13 15:46:46

you're probably fine so long as you never go north of Fort William...

DolomitesDonkey Sun 05-May-13 15:35:27

Delighted Scot here with both mhairi and hamish! So there aitch! wink

NadiaWadia Sun 05-May-13 15:24:20

It can be an Indian name too. I know of a Hamish Patel, which I think is pronounced the same.

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Sun 05-May-13 12:59:18

what's plain weird? the fact that you are calling your child by a name that isn't really a name? not with you, sorry.

FrauGrau Sun 05-May-13 12:48:40

Hamish is a great name! I have heard it used by people w no scottish connections (bit posh actually) . It is a variant of James ( but you prob know that) so what if it's the vocative case of Seumas. Unless you are actually a Gaelic speaker, it's just plain weird to give your child a name with different spellings/pronunciations for different usages . Not to mention confusing. Go for it!

Chandelierforagirl Sun 05-May-13 10:28:20

I do think some things would be a bit standy outy, like a white christian naming their child Mustafa... but odd isn't bad, and Hamish is a lovely name.

AitchTwoOhOneTwo Sun 05-May-13 10:25:54

hamish is a bit of a corruption of a name, though. if you do use it, wait for Gaels to tell you that it actually means similar to 'hey, Seumas!' and when they use that vocative case they change the S sound to more of an H sound. (it's why Mhairi with a V is also a bit of a nutty name.)

My ds2 is a week old and Hamish, we are not Scottish though their dad's dad was it was just the name I chose. I've had a lot if eye rolling reactions from people about it but they are allowed their opinions I don't care! Goes nicely with other dc names.

farmersdaughter Sun 05-May-13 08:21:27

Quick have a weekend in Scotland! gringrin

Mmmm possibly but do you really care? Hamish is bloody brilliant. says the jock

I love it, agree, why not? Plenty of Duncan's / Cameron's etc south of the border.

Roshbegosh Sun 05-May-13 08:20:31

Mad might be overstating it but why not?

flopsy1974 Sun 05-May-13 07:02:15

Will people think we're mad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now