WIBU?

(12 Posts)
Maryz Sat 04-May-13 17:41:46

Oh, yes badtime. My mum used to say you could recognise mixed marriages in Ireland (north and south) by the names of the children.

So if the names were Frederick, Charles, Mary and Teresa, you knew the dad was protestant and the mum catholic grin

badtime Sat 04-May-13 17:34:55

*people

badtime Sat 04-May-13 17:34:44

In NI this wouldn't be very unusual. My mother's (huge!) family is all pretty diverse - like Deirdre and Grainne and Beryl!

As peple have said above, Setanta, Orfhlaith and Jessica would be a bit trickier than Siobhan, Oscar and Jessica.

Maryz Sat 04-May-13 17:14:13

I do think that Caoimheann, Orfthlaigh and Jane would sound a bit odd.

Conor, Cian and John not so much grin

birdofthenorth Sat 04-May-13 17:06:57

DB's name is ridiculously Scottish. Mine is not at all. Never been commented in that I know of. I've never wholly understood why sibling names have to match, obviously you have to write their names on cards together but beyond that they are individuals!

wigglesrock Fri 03-May-13 16:14:29

I know loads of people who have done this smile. It's fine. Like Niamh, Orlagh and Charlotte. I know 2 very Irish names and a Greek name.

Bowlersarm Fri 03-May-13 15:27:49

X post with mummy!

Bowlersarm Fri 03-May-13 15:27:09

Are your DC's names very Irish?

I think it would be strange to have something like Grainne, Roisin and Eve. (Ie two with possibly difficukt pronounciations outside of Ireland) However, you could very definitely have something like Patrick, Declan and Eve.

MummyBurrows Fri 03-May-13 15:26:16

I think it depends on how obviously Irish the other 2 names are...if they're not overly obvious then I don't think it matters but if its very clear that they are Irish,spelling wise for instance,then I think it would seem a little odd to have one child with a non-irish name...but on a personal note,no,it wouldn't bother me remotely if one child didn't have an irish name,just as long as all three childrens names sounded good together as that's what would matter most to me smile

JohnSnowsTie Fri 03-May-13 15:19:37

Haha!! grin

Actually, now you come to mention it...

StealthOfficialCrispTester Fri 03-May-13 15:17:37

Oh so you're not suggesting wibu (nn boo?) As a possibility then?
grin

JohnSnowsTie Fri 03-May-13 15:14:44

Have two DCs, both with Irish names. DH is Irish (although you'd only know it from his surname, he has no accent).

WIBU to name DC3 with a non-Irish name, or would breaking the pattern seem odd?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now