Margaret (nn maggie) - can we?

(52 Posts)
Kittykatmacbill Fri 03-May-13 08:49:34

Can we call our dd Margaret, without people thinking we are crazy thatcherites? This is a the genuine concern of my dh! It is has been my favourite name for absolutely years, it is vaguely a family name (grandfather's wee sister) and after loads of great woman...

Dh had agreed before death of mrs t, but now feels that other people might think we are honouring her, which would not forgiven by either of our parents.

Not sure what our plan b names are, but these are what we have discussed:
Anne (mil middle name)
Judith (dh says is too prim)
Daphne (ditto)
Eve / Evelyn (far to popular and I know my mother hates)
Uma (bit left field?)
Vivienne (bit over pretty)
Ailsa (family name both like it but a close friend called her dd this in feb)

Any thoughts? Have been stuck on this for months and now baby is due in a fortnight!

tutu100 Sat 11-May-13 17:34:55

I like the sound of Margaret Anne. And I love the nickname Maggie. Although it's an old name you don't hear it much now and I think it would be a really cool name for a little girl.

Also Maggie and Margaret don't make me think of Thatcher even though i grew up with her in power. They actually make me think of baby maggie from the Simpsons (which I like).

tutu100 Sat 11-May-13 17:35:56

Just posted before reading your update! Congratulations, and an inspired idea with the name Annie.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now