Sevastyan, Izaak, Delilah, Anneliese.

(16 Posts)
Hummuschocolate Tue 28-May-13 17:51:05

Nice names and I think they are easy enough to pronounce imo

MultipleMama Mon 27-May-13 20:23:03

Nowplaying Sevastyan is spelt that way as it's my father's middle name and would be name after him, so only right to keep the spelling.

As for the others; I personally prefer them spelt that way. Thank you smile

PaperSeagull I'm saying it can sound similar. It's spelt the Russian way because we want it to be. My father pointed out the spelling when he saw the names, so we're getting rid of the 'e'. Thank you smile

Mrs I'm well prepared for the name questioning as I've had it with previous dc. None of the names are hard to pronounce, I think the spelling just confuse people - instead of listening to the pronunciation, they look at the spelling.

math Thank you, I prefer the revised names too smile

NowPlayingZone Mon 27-May-13 09:45:58

Don't see how Sebastian, Alexander, Isaac or Zahariah are any more boring than your versions. Lovely names.

mathanxiety Mon 27-May-13 05:30:37

Lovely choices, and the revised boy names flow better than the original ones.

MrsSchadenfreude Sun 26-May-13 21:58:47

Another alert re the spelling. I have a Slav first name that no-one can spell or pronounce - be prepared for people to get quite argumentative with you, as they have only seen the "regular" spelling and be quite sure that their way is correct, and you clearly have no idea how to spell your own or your own child's name. I use the diminutive of my name (always have done) and I still get the same problem with pronunciation and spelling, with people insisting it is "i" not "y" or bizarrely sticking another letter in it as well.

PaperSeagull Sun 26-May-13 21:57:45

I love all the names you've chosen. Personally, I don't care for the spelling. As you know, Russian doesn't use the same alphabet as English, so any transliteration is always an approximation. The closest transliteration for the Russian name would be Aleksandr (no "e" before the "r"), and of course it is pronounced quite differently to the English Alexander. If you plan to use the English pronuncation, why not the English spelling as well?

Obviously, the choice is yours, I'm just curious. And congratulations on your pregnancy!

MultipleMama Sun 26-May-13 21:48:46

Kelly1992 Thank you for suggestion. If both boys they'll be; Sevastyan Zackariah and Izaak Aleksander. smile

PoppyAmex Thu 02-May-13 16:23:24

OP I think they're very nice, but just be prepared to spell it 10 times a day - I have a Francisca (Portuguese) and it drives the Scots nuts grin

Kelly1992 Thu 02-May-13 16:20:26

I'm glad I could help, let me know what your DH says of the names.

It's up to you how you spell the names of your children I can understand where your coming from as I am half welsh and I love the name Angharad, Bronwyn, Dafydd and Hywel but others would hate them. and my boyfriend being Irish he like Aedan, Ciaran, Abiageal and Keanna but others would also find these horrible also.

MultipleMama Thu 02-May-13 14:50:06

My father is Russian and DH is German, the first boy name is spelt how my Father's middle name is spelt (was gunna call DS1 Sev but didn't follow through), Aleksander is the Russian spelling but pronounced near the exact same and Izaak is spelt how DH wants it. - Just to clear the whole spelling thing up and why we choose those names.

We're not keen on English traditional names find most of them boring (even my own name!) so we decided against it from the start.

Kelly1992 - I quite like those combinations, too - I'll mention it to DH.

LittleMissLucy - I didn't know I had to ask a question. I just wanted to share the names we like, as I posted a thread a while back trying to decide and a few of those names made it here smile

JennyMackerz Thu 02-May-13 13:01:11

I like those names but the spellings on the boys names don't look right. Are you polish? I like Delilah and Anneliese, those are lovely names for twin girls. Equally 'strong' but different and with a different initial.

I like Isaac and Zachary so I guess I like the foreign version of it too. Not crazy about Sebastian with a v. Sebastian isn't my favourite name, so spelling it with a b or a v isn't going to make me love or hate it any less or more. But, I'd still go for spelling it with a B, for an easy life if you're living in the UK.

Sorry!

Kelly1992 Thu 02-May-13 10:40:18

Personally I don't like the name Sevastyan or Franziska but that's my opinion.

I personally love Delilah I know a Delilah May. I love Anneliese also.

I think Izaak would be better with Aleksander as the middle name and Sevastyan with Zackariah.

raisah I looked it up for you - Koda - Pronunciation: KOH-də (key) or Co Duh - Origin: - Native American/American English - Meaning:- The allies. Form of: - Dakota - A modern coinage that was influenced by the place-name Dakota.

Kelly1992 Thu 02-May-13 10:23:15

Personally I don't like the name Sevastyan or Franziska but that's my opinion.

I personally love Delilah I know a Delilah May. I love Anneliese also.

I think Izaak would be better with Aleksander as the middle name and Sevastyan with Zackariah.

raisah I looked it up for you - Koda - Pronunciation: KOH-də (key) or Co Duh - Origin: - Native American/American English - Meaning:- The allies. Form of: - Dakota - A modern coinage that was influenced by the place-name Dakota.

raisah Thu 02-May-13 03:16:58

Lovely choice of names. Congratulations on the twins and I hope all goes well for the birth.

What is the origin & meaning of the name Koda? I have not come across it beforr so I thought i would ask.

LittleMissLucy Thu 02-May-13 00:57:50

What is the question you're asking...?

MultipleMama Wed 01-May-13 22:43:00

We've finally short listed the names and as we can confirm we are expecting twins - it's been made a little easier. These are the final names we've chosen and sticking with.

Boy/Boy
Sevastyan Aleksander
Izaak Zachariah

Girl/Girl
Delilah Franziska
Anneliese Koda

Boy/Girl
Anneliese Koda
Sevastyan Aleksander.

Only 3 more weeks and I can people my DF, excited!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now