Talk to me about... surname names

(87 Posts)
BraveLilBear Wed 01-May-13 14:59:32

Just that really... DP and I have finally managed something of a shortlist for our soon to be DC, and two of the names on there are surname names (ie taken from a renowned surname), and one is also an American place name.

I used to be quite 'anti' them, but really like at least one of these and think it would work well. But what's the consensus?

I'm thinking distinguished names along the lines of 'Newton' (from Isaac) rather than 'Smith'...

<braces self for onslaught...>

BraveLilBear Tue 07-May-13 14:42:33

DP has quite a hard-sounding and fairly unusual surname that begins with a 'B' ie all hard consonants, but these names do actually go very well with it, and also, incidentally, with mine (which is very soft and commonplace in comparison) should the need arise...

TheSecondComing Mon 06-May-13 22:42:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ShadowStorm Mon 06-May-13 22:23:26

DH was keen on Kelvin for DS - as in Lord Kelvin who determined the correct value of absolute zero.

raisah Mon 06-May-13 06:16:01

Does it go with your surname? Generally, I am not keen on the surname as a first name trend but the name you have chosen is good. It also depends on whether it suits your child. I would wait until he is born to see what suits him.

MortifiedAdams Mon 06-May-13 03:33:59

Wallace
Ferguson
Smith

MonkeyingAroundTown Sun 05-May-13 22:28:17

Fletcher is another nice one

FrauGrau Sun 05-May-13 12:53:44

Very popular in Scotland, as others have pointed out: Campbell, Finlay, Blair, Cameron, Hunter, Ross, Bruce, Douglas, etcetera. I have a friend called MacDuff (first name). Not weird here!

ItsYonliMe Sun 05-May-13 04:20:52

Tewesaves "awesome" grin grin

squoosh Sat 04-May-13 20:52:59

Maynard?

MrsFrederickWentworth Sat 04-May-13 20:08:54

What about Lister, if not Franklin?

Don't think Higgs fits your criteria, nor Crick.

Davy?

My father's names went

Family surname name, Christian name chosen by parents, family surname name v similar to normal name but one letter different, surname.

I didn't like the only one they chose, the rest were lovely. But they were also family names.

I think you'll find they are awesome names, and not at all odd!

ItsYonliMe Sat 04-May-13 15:15:53

TeWisaves - yeah but in New Zealand and Australia they call their children very weird names don't they?smile

ShadowStorm Sat 04-May-13 08:27:23

I thought schnapps when Archer was mentioned...

DH is pretty set on Franklin now anyway.

grin I am from NZ actually, so it doesn't sound weird to me. Maybe I need to ask lots of randomers in the street how they say it!

squoosh Sat 04-May-13 03:07:13

That's funny, as soon as Archer was mentioned I thought 'Robin Hood' too! grin

ItsYonliMe Sat 04-May-13 01:19:36

If you say Archer out loud, it's actually quite difficult to say and hear. I don't think people will pronounce it properly - there are too many rs in it and English people can't pronounce rs.

The Scots, Irish and Welsh can use Archer cause they'd pronounce it correctly smile.

(I don't like it, however it's pronounced - sounds like one of Robin Hood's merry men)

ShadowStorm Fri 03-May-13 23:40:31

I like Edison, Darwin, and Harper.

I'd avoid Cromwell - it brings Oliver Cromwell strongly to mind, and personally I think opinions on him are too divisive to want to name a child after him. Bit like calling a child Thatcher.

SlinkyB Fri 03-May-13 21:18:18

I know of a Statham, and a Kingsley; both surname names...am guessing they're not your cup of tea though op?

Catlike Fri 03-May-13 21:05:36

DH is now voting for Franklin though, so props to whoever said that!

grin

AlmondFrangipani Fri 03-May-13 21:01:58

Hi Brave grin

We are thinking along very similar lines if we have a DS! Our fav hasn't cropped up here yet but I love Archer and Edison!! X

Thurlow Fri 03-May-13 20:48:55

an blush

Thurlow Fri 03-May-13 20:48:37

I know a Edison. I think it is gorgeous. He can always use Eddie if he wants to when he's older.

MsJupiterJones Fri 03-May-13 20:45:44

I really like surname names. Lawrence, Cameron, Harrison, Mitchell, Austin. One of those is my DS's name.

Love the idea of Edison, Darwin or Newton.

DH is now voting for Franklin though, so props to whoever said that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now