Talk to me about... surname names

(87 Posts)
BraveLilBear Wed 01-May-13 14:59:32

Just that really... DP and I have finally managed something of a shortlist for our soon to be DC, and two of the names on there are surname names (ie taken from a renowned surname), and one is also an American place name.

I used to be quite 'anti' them, but really like at least one of these and think it would work well. But what's the consensus?

I'm thinking distinguished names along the lines of 'Newton' (from Isaac) rather than 'Smith'...

<braces self for onslaught...>

ItsYonliMe Sat 04-May-13 15:15:53

TeWisaves - yeah but in New Zealand and Australia they call their children very weird names don't they?smile

I think you'll find they are awesome names, and not at all odd!

MrsFrederickWentworth Sat 04-May-13 20:08:54

What about Lister, if not Franklin?

Don't think Higgs fits your criteria, nor Crick.

Davy?

My father's names went

Family surname name, Christian name chosen by parents, family surname name v similar to normal name but one letter different, surname.

I didn't like the only one they chose, the rest were lovely. But they were also family names.

squoosh Sat 04-May-13 20:52:59

Maynard?

ItsYonliMe Sun 05-May-13 04:20:52

Tewesaves "awesome" grin grin

FrauGrau Sun 05-May-13 12:53:44

Very popular in Scotland, as others have pointed out: Campbell, Finlay, Blair, Cameron, Hunter, Ross, Bruce, Douglas, etcetera. I have a friend called MacDuff (first name). Not weird here!

MonkeyingAroundTown Sun 05-May-13 22:28:17

Fletcher is another nice one

MortifiedAdams Mon 06-May-13 03:33:59

Wallace
Ferguson
Smith

raisah Mon 06-May-13 06:16:01

Does it go with your surname? Generally, I am not keen on the surname as a first name trend but the name you have chosen is good. It also depends on whether it suits your child. I would wait until he is born to see what suits him.

ShadowStorm Mon 06-May-13 22:23:26

DH was keen on Kelvin for DS - as in Lord Kelvin who determined the correct value of absolute zero.

TheSecondComing Mon 06-May-13 22:42:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BraveLilBear Tue 07-May-13 14:42:33

DP has quite a hard-sounding and fairly unusual surname that begins with a 'B' ie all hard consonants, but these names do actually go very well with it, and also, incidentally, with mine (which is very soft and commonplace in comparison) should the need arise...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now