Back again - Esther, Agatha, Clara, Cora or play it safe with Rose?

(56 Posts)
emmyloo2 Tue 30-Apr-13 08:16:27

Still no decision made about our DD due now in 3.5 weeks. Despite discussing for the last 9 months.

I now like Esther or Agatha (Aggie) and DH has said both can be possibilities although he is not particularly thrilled with either to be honest.

He also says he will consider Clara and Cora but finds them a little hard. I think I prefer Esther and Agatha to both.

He wants Rose or Isobel or Alison (which is a family name). I love Rose but it really is too popular for my liking and Isobel is definitely too popular. I really wanted Alison for a while as it is my late aunty's name but I can't shake the feeling it's not my style and is a little dated for me. I love the old-fashioned names, most of which have been rejected by DH..

I honestly don't know how we are going to resolve this. It's getting closer and closer and we are not getting any resolution.

Help!!!

emmyloo2 Fri 03-May-13 12:04:05

Hi toddler, yep we have tried this and we do have some on both list but they aren't my favorite ones so that's where I struggle. I think I am just going to have to compromise.

Donkeys - Lucy is good but two friends have Lucys. Eleanor isn't even in the top 100 here. I like it a lot but it's a little long. I love Nell though. I have realized I like the one- two syllable names. Ruth, hazel, Maude, Mabel, Meg etc, none of which pass the gatekeeper. Boo!

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Fri 03-May-13 11:37:32

Did we ever suggest Lucie/Lucy?

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Fri 03-May-13 11:35:58

Eleanor nn Ellie or Nell is that very popular where you are?

OneLittleToddleTerror Fri 03-May-13 10:12:36

You can even rank them and see the preferences better maybe?

OneLittleToddleTerror Fri 03-May-13 10:11:34

emmyloo have you tried writing one list of acceptable names each, and then find the ones that are common on both? It sounds like you two do have a bit of common ground. That way, you would eliminate the possible names down to those acceptable to both of you quickly.

(That's how we did ours. We ended up with a list of I think 1 girl name and 2 boy names)!

emmyloo2 Fri 03-May-13 09:17:00

Thanks all. I should clarify that DH is not just proposing Rose. He is also happy with Isobel, Alison, Eleanor, Caroline, Elizabeth (as a fall back) and Victoria and various other names he has proposed (Vivienne, Nina, Laura, Ramona, Flora, Florence) which have been rejected by me. We just can't agree on a middle ground. I like old lady names and he likes names like Laura and Victoria - more classic names I guess, which I like, but find a little safe. He was actually pushing for Alison despite it being my aunty's name and nothing to do with him. He just decided that's the name he wanted.

I can't convince him to agree to Mary, Margaret, Ruth, Hazel, Mabel etc which are the types of names i love and I think match George. Hence we are going around in circles. He is not being difficult and has the patience of a saint, but we just can't seem to meet in the middle....

Purplebananas Thu 02-May-13 13:50:00

Any of the names except Agatha are ok. Agatha is horrible and grey sounding. Rose is a little boring. Clara is my favourite from your list.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Thu 02-May-13 08:19:07

We don't mind exploring name options with you emmy for as long as it takes smile .

Tortoiseontheeggshell Thu 02-May-13 05:24:21

Eleanor Catherine is much better than Clara Catherine. Which is a shame, because Clara is fabulous, and Catherine's a great (ha, see what I did there?) middle name. I can't see Dora without thinking Explorer, sadly.

Also, you forgot "May/Mae" as a middle. Rose, Grace and May, the holy trinity of middle names in middle class Australia.

emmyloo2 Thu 02-May-13 05:19:28

Sleepywombat - I am so mortified that I am still posting about this! I honestly thought about name changing just so people didn't think I was a complete nutcase. Can you imagine what my poor DH has had to endure!

Unfortunately overthinking things is part of my personality and I am really quite nervous and stressed about a second baby (I really found number 1 very hard) so I think focusing on the names, which is the most fun part) is a way of taking my mind off it!!

I am glad you like Clara and Eleanor though!

Only 3 more weeks of me posting though, so never fear! And there isn't going to be a third, so I will never had to go through this naming thing again!!

sleepywombat Thu 02-May-13 05:06:57

I knew it was you when I saw the thread title!

Clara is my fave out of your new ones. Clara Catherine sounds nice, but I don't mind alliteration.

Eleanor is nice too.

ripsishere Thu 02-May-13 04:49:40

Esther is a lovely name, so is Rose. The others are a bit not quite as nice.
Rosa is great so is Anna, Ellen and Julia.

emmyloo2 Thu 02-May-13 04:48:05

TheReal - never fear, we have removed Agatha from the list!!

Tortoise - I would never use Rose as a middle name, purely because it is the most common middle name ever around here. Along with Grace. The middle name will be Catherine which is a family name.

Unless we went with Clara...not sure Clara Catherine works?

Eleanor Catherine is very nice though I think.

Now I am secretly loving Dora - I can only blame Donkeys for putting that in my mind!!

Tortoiseontheeggshell Thu 02-May-13 04:21:52

I think Rose is the most popular middle name going, by about a million miles, but I don't know any little Roses as a first name. That's no help, obviously, since I presume you've checked the actual baby name charts and know better than I do.

I love love love Clara. Clara and Eleanor are both great, although you will inevitably end up being the 1,365,748,239th parents to use Rose as a middle name with either of those, because it flows so well.

TheRealFellatio Thu 02-May-13 03:50:42

Anything but Agatha PLEEEEEASE, it's dire. It's one of those names that should remain forever unressurected.

emmyloo2 Thu 02-May-13 03:40:08

Hi all, I am back!

Miffy - Isadora was something we actually contemplated but we decided we might feel a bit ridiculous calling it out in the supermarket. All names mentioned we have considered and I love most of them but none have seemed to be the "right" name or DH has rejected. I really like Clara, as does he, so that's now agreed to be on the list. Rose will stay as a safe option, together with Elizabeth, which we will use as a fail-safe option if we can't agree anything else. Agatha is off - we both decided it was a bit hard. Ditto Cora. Alison he still loves but I don't think it's the right name for me.

However, we have both decided we like Eleanor (which for whatever reason doesn't even crack the top 50 here) and Caroline (which I really like, although perhaps a little dated for some). Victoria, which was always a favourite has been taken off because we don't like the nicknames. Esther I still adore although DH not as common. I also propsoed Elsa as someone suggested, but we realised we know someone with a dog called Elsa.

So I feel like we are making slow progress. My gut feeling is we will go with something more classic and less "old lady" than I would prefer, but I don't want to choose a name he doesn't love. I.e. we may compromise with Eleanor as opposed to Mabel (which is my deep down love).

Actually - for whatever reason, DH decided he didn't mind Dora but preferred Doris? WTF?? Even I think Doris is a bit too vintage, but no he likes Doris. I still think Dora is fab. However, not sure if it can be pulled off in Australia. People would say..... Dooooraaaaah. (in australian twang).

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Wed 01-May-13 20:09:25

Isadora, that's inspired miffybun73 smile

miffybun73 Wed 01-May-13 19:33:37

I think that Rose is very popular as a middle name, but I haven't met any babies with Rose as a first name.

I think it's lovely as a first name on its own, rather than used as it seems to be a lot - Lily-Rose, Ellie-Rose etc.

StrangeGlue Wed 01-May-13 19:26:00

Is Rose that popular? I haven't met any babies called that yet.

Lots of Lillys and Violets but no roses

Allalonenow Wed 01-May-13 19:25:00

I'd vote for Clara, but as you have mentioned a family link with Alison, I think Alison Clara would be lovely. I really like a family history with a name, and Alison is so pretty and not at all dated.

miffybun73 Wed 01-May-13 19:18:43

What about Isadora?

raisah Wed 01-May-13 19:14:04

How about Rosa, Rosalyn or Rosario as alternatives to Rose?
Or adding Rosa as a middle name to any one of your suggestions, which are lovely.

Gwennan Wed 01-May-13 10:17:24

I like all of your names with the exception of Agatha, which reminds me of the aunt in Matilda who was not nice at all. I am less keen on Cora as I've never met one and keep wanting to spell it 'corer'; I think knowing one would make me like it more.

I'd go for Rose, Clara or Esther - all are beautiful!

If you're not sure about Alison, how about Alice?

AgathaPinchBottom Wed 01-May-13 09:53:16

I love Agatha, Clara, Esther and Dora. That's my short list too! All are brilliant! My granny was an Esther but was always called Essie which is nice. Couple other options that I also like: Agnes, Flora, Cecily and Winifred (Freddy)
Congratulations!

OneLittleToddleTerror Wed 01-May-13 09:23:20

I know Clara isn't mentioned a lot on this board. But it's the new Dr Who companion. It might get really popular, like Amelia which is the companion of the last couple of years. Just keep this in mind if you are betting on an unusual name. (Since you are saying Rose might be too 'safe').

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now