Back again - Esther, Agatha, Clara, Cora or play it safe with Rose?

(56 Posts)
emmyloo2 Tue 30-Apr-13 08:16:27

Still no decision made about our DD due now in 3.5 weeks. Despite discussing for the last 9 months.

I now like Esther or Agatha (Aggie) and DH has said both can be possibilities although he is not particularly thrilled with either to be honest.

He also says he will consider Clara and Cora but finds them a little hard. I think I prefer Esther and Agatha to both.

He wants Rose or Isobel or Alison (which is a family name). I love Rose but it really is too popular for my liking and Isobel is definitely too popular. I really wanted Alison for a while as it is my late aunty's name but I can't shake the feeling it's not my style and is a little dated for me. I love the old-fashioned names, most of which have been rejected by DH..

I honestly don't know how we are going to resolve this. It's getting closer and closer and we are not getting any resolution.

Help!!!

emmyloo2 Fri 03-May-13 09:17:00

Thanks all. I should clarify that DH is not just proposing Rose. He is also happy with Isobel, Alison, Eleanor, Caroline, Elizabeth (as a fall back) and Victoria and various other names he has proposed (Vivienne, Nina, Laura, Ramona, Flora, Florence) which have been rejected by me. We just can't agree on a middle ground. I like old lady names and he likes names like Laura and Victoria - more classic names I guess, which I like, but find a little safe. He was actually pushing for Alison despite it being my aunty's name and nothing to do with him. He just decided that's the name he wanted.

I can't convince him to agree to Mary, Margaret, Ruth, Hazel, Mabel etc which are the types of names i love and I think match George. Hence we are going around in circles. He is not being difficult and has the patience of a saint, but we just can't seem to meet in the middle....

OneLittleToddleTerror Fri 03-May-13 10:11:34

emmyloo have you tried writing one list of acceptable names each, and then find the ones that are common on both? It sounds like you two do have a bit of common ground. That way, you would eliminate the possible names down to those acceptable to both of you quickly.

(That's how we did ours. We ended up with a list of I think 1 girl name and 2 boy names)!

OneLittleToddleTerror Fri 03-May-13 10:12:36

You can even rank them and see the preferences better maybe?

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Fri 03-May-13 11:35:58

Eleanor nn Ellie or Nell is that very popular where you are?

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Fri 03-May-13 11:37:32

Did we ever suggest Lucie/Lucy?

emmyloo2 Fri 03-May-13 12:04:05

Hi toddler, yep we have tried this and we do have some on both list but they aren't my favorite ones so that's where I struggle. I think I am just going to have to compromise.

Donkeys - Lucy is good but two friends have Lucys. Eleanor isn't even in the top 100 here. I like it a lot but it's a little long. I love Nell though. I have realized I like the one- two syllable names. Ruth, hazel, Maude, Mabel, Meg etc, none of which pass the gatekeeper. Boo!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now