Tove

(17 Posts)
pollypanic Fri 03-May-13 13:49:07

I love it, probably because I love the Moomins!

ItsYonliMe Fri 03-May-13 12:35:51

Tuva is much better than Tove. Tove looks like a gardening implement.

cinnamonbun Thu 02-May-13 21:51:55

I like it but then I'm Scandinavian...How about Tuva? It's more obvious how to pronounce it...

Frikadellen Thu 02-May-13 13:20:35

Being Danish I see Tove and I think Ditlevsen (poet)

It is also my " step sisters" name ( I use " " as we are both adult and were when our parents married) and have never met)

I don't care for it much yet weirdly all the Tove's I have known have been lovely. So would have thought I would like it

pigletpower Tue 30-Apr-13 19:32:30

Imagine-Hattie is great I've got one! Hattie on Birth Cert.
Tove is a gorgeous name and you have the nickname 'Moomin'!! I love Scandinavian names.

dontblameme Tue 30-Apr-13 16:47:31

I taught a Swedish Tove who was about 10 and the sweetest brightest little red-head. She pronounced it more Tu-va though.

ImaginaryHat Tue 30-Apr-13 13:07:42

Thanks RooneyMara, I just looked it up and Isaac does indeed mean 'he laughs', which makes me like it even more! Think I would struggle to look past it despite its increase in popularity, just need to get pg now!

Nice to see a positive response to Tove for a potential future baby girl for you!

givemeaclue Tue 30-Apr-13 07:42:13

MoominS fan
?

KenDoddsDadsDog Tue 30-Apr-13 07:37:46

I really love it - have always loved Moomins and now DD does too!

RooneyMara Tue 30-Apr-13 07:07:54

I love the name Isaac, and Ivy is really beautiful. Go for it smile

Btw Isaac means something like 'laugh with me' doesn't it?

ImaginaryHat Mon 29-Apr-13 21:21:57

I sometimes struggle with names that I don't instantly recognise as names, if that makes sense, so it takes a while to make my mind up! I initially also thought it looked a little hard, but with the pronunciation To-va I actually now think its lovely!

We've just started ttc #1 and my favourite boys name has always been Isaac, but am a bit gutted at its recent rise in popularity. Favourites for a girl are Harriet (nn Hattie) and Ivy.

sydenhamhiller Mon 29-Apr-13 21:11:34

I love it. Met a Tove on a course - she must be 50ish now, and really lovely. Great name.

elpth Mon 29-Apr-13 21:07:17

It's pronounced To-va and I have a very lovely cousin called Tove so therefore think it's a lovely name!

Is it pronounced so it would sort of rhyme with toes? Or does it go up at the end or what?

I don't particularly like the way it looks - looks quite masculine and hard to me.

RooneyMara Mon 29-Apr-13 20:46:15

Yes. Thankyou...ds3 is only 4 mo so I have a little time before using it smile

thepartysover Mon 29-Apr-13 20:44:17

It immediately makes me think of Tove Jansson (Moomins creator) but I do like it, very much. It's one to live with in your mind for a little while I think.

RooneyMara Mon 29-Apr-13 19:57:57

for a girl...Swedish, do you like? I love it. I might have to have another baby just to use it. smile

what are your favourite names for as yet unconceived children?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now