Does it sound too 'boyish'?

(34 Posts)
NTMummy059 Sun 28-Apr-13 19:20:21

Me and my partner are having a girl and firstly agreed on Sophie.. He then decided he doesn't like it..
We then chose Mia which I really like but now he's not too sure!
So he has suggested Robin/Robyn and really likes it but although I do like the name I'm wondering if it goes with the surname Harvey? Does it sound too much like a boy's name or am I looking too much into it?! Thank you!

KittenofDoom Mon 29-Apr-13 11:30:33

It's always been a boy's name to me, although a bit of a twee one. I prefer Robert, a much stronger name for a man.

I also dislike names where the 'i' has been replaced with a 'y' and cannot see how this feminises a name. I knew someone who called her son Gavyn, for instance. She was the kind of person who puts a little circle over the letter i instead of a dot.

TenthMuse Mon 29-Apr-13 12:34:43

I like Robyn and prefer it to either Mia or Sophie. Not too boyish imo. I know two girl Robyns (both spelt this way) who are about four and ten.

KittenofDoom Mon 29-Apr-13 13:44:12

Thinking about it some more, the traditional feminine version of Robin is Robina (Ro-BEE-na). There was a Robina in my year at school, but it's never been very common. Perhaps this is why I'm so resistant to the idea of Robyn as a girl's name.

Catlike Mon 29-Apr-13 15:22:55

I think it's lovely and quite refreshing compared with all the fashionable cutesy and girly names (agree with your DP about them grin)

JojoMags Mon 29-Apr-13 16:29:33

Ilike it a lot. And Robbie is a cool nn.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Mon 29-Apr-13 16:55:17

Call me slow, hadn't thought of a shortened version being Robbie. That definitely sounds masculine.

OrangeFootedScrubfowl Mon 29-Apr-13 17:12:34

I think it has to be Robyn for a girl for me. I quite like it.

fussychica Mon 29-Apr-13 18:49:47

I like it.
If you don't has your DP any other suggestions as he's vetoed all your alternatives?
Laurel
Carrie
Jess
Tess

AttentionToDetail Mon 29-Apr-13 18:59:04

I have a 5 month DD Robyn!
I always loved it for a girl but not a boy for some reason!
Some people do think she is a boy when I tell them her name but I am still really happy with our choice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now