Beatrice Lydia - love it, but with our surname?

(35 Posts)
GettingObsessive Sun 28-Apr-13 13:17:55

DH loves Lydia, I love Beatrice, and I prefer the sound of Beatrice Lydia to Lydia Beatrice. But (and its a big but) our surname begins with a T.

Would it really be too cruel to inflict those initials on the baby?

Thinkingof4 Sun 28-Apr-13 13:22:47

Lovely choice, I don't think anyone pays too much attention to initials tbh so I would just go for it!
My boys initials are LAL (ok) AIL ( not so good) and HDL (sounds like courier company) grin but no-one ever notices

StormyBrid Sun 28-Apr-13 13:26:35

Probably. But on the other hand, it's character building! And it's not like she'll have to tell everyone her middle name, so hopefully wouldn't be a massive issue. If you like it, go for it.

GettingObsessive Sun 28-Apr-13 14:07:48

Thanks. I'm sorely tempted to just say sod it - at least the initials don't spell anything terrible mind you I don't like BLTs

LittlePandaBear Sun 28-Apr-13 14:18:57

You could always add in another middle name if BLT bothers you?

GettingObsessive Sun 28-Apr-13 14:20:21

Yes I wondered about that. The only question is what. We're having enough trouble with two names - and as for boys names... grin

My parents chose my name because it isn't quite a well-known abbreviation - but middlename firstname maidenname would be.

I went into a career where everyone uses initials all the time.

Lydia Beatrice T- is beautiful.

GettingObsessive Sun 28-Apr-13 14:30:38

Horry I think that's what's troubling me - we do in my firm too, despite the edict that we shouldn't.

I do like Lydia Beatrice, but I would love a little girl known as Bea. In my head the - as yet sex unknown - baby is my little Honeybee blush

Exhaustipated Sun 28-Apr-13 15:54:21

I would add in a one syllable extra middle name

eg

Beatrice Lydia Joy T
Beatrice Lydia Jane T
Beatrice Lydia Pearl T
Beatrice Lydia Fern T

etc!

fussychica Sun 28-Apr-13 16:34:47

Lovely esp nn Bea - stick with it.

I don't think its a problem tbh.
Beatrice Lydia sounds lovely. If you are concerned as others have said add another middle names. Louise, Iona, Alice loads will go.

GettingObsessive Sun 28-Apr-13 17:15:33

Thanks. I think we'll go with it. I just love it and I think that, even if anyone does anything, once they've met the baby they'll be so mesmerised by her beauty any misgivings will be instantly forgotten wink

You could always have Lydia Beatrice on the bc and call her Bea. I know a few people who go by their middle names.

mumbaisapphire Mon 29-Apr-13 23:31:37

I'd go for it. It's not a bad set of initials, and who doesn't like a BLT? Oh, ah I see you don't but seriously though, it's a sandwich, nothing to worry about. Quite a fun set of initials really. I know a few people with fun initials which have never held them back. They include ELF, TCP and JLS. If it's any help our intended name for our daughter should it turn out to be a girl will mean she's a COG.

NatashaBee Tue 30-Apr-13 02:59:34

It's a lovely name. I agree, throw in another 1 syllable middle name if you're worried.

LeoTheLateBloomer Tue 30-Apr-13 03:09:31

Initials can be fun and, as a pp said, character building. I used to teach a really quiet, sensitive boy who suddenly gained huge street cred when everyone (well, the girls) realised his initials were JLS!

FWIW I think Lydia Beatrice actually flows better. Both very pretty name though.

Rhubarbgarden Tue 30-Apr-13 07:24:16

I think Lydia Beatrice flows better too. There are an awful lot of baby Beas around at the moment.

MrsHiddleston Tue 30-Apr-13 07:31:54

Okay outing myself a little bit but my best friend's initials are HELP. We found it a little funny at first when we discovered it at school, but it's fine and doesn't bother her.

Beatrice Lydia is lovely. If you really are unsure you could hyphenate to Beatrice-lydia and then in theory her initials would be BT not BLT.

BikeRunSki Tue 30-Apr-13 07:36:00

Name her LBT, but use Beatrice ?

flopsy1974 Tue 30-Apr-13 08:18:57

Beatrice Lydia is totally gorgeous. I would go for it. I doubt many people would notice the initials. What does it matter anyway smile

'There are an awful lot of baby Beas ' AAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! I know!

I have a Bea, she is 6 now. Nobody used the name when we did and know you can't move for them. I am really annoyed! angry grin

emmyloo2 Tue 30-Apr-13 08:29:14

I love Beatrice and would use it but it doesn't go with our surname. I think Bea is just fabulous.

I wouldn't worry about the initials. I wouldn't even notice it to be honest and BLT is nothing terrible. If you love it, definitely use it. It is gorgeous.

diddl Tue 30-Apr-13 13:02:47

I much prefer Lydia.

Either way, at least it isn't LTB!

Notnowcato Tue 30-Apr-13 18:02:15

Lots of Bea's round here too (Beatrices and Beatrixes). But it's a lovely name and the abbreviation is sweet. I see a grown-up Bea/Beatrice/Beatrix as very attractive, successful and witty! But I probably wouldn't go with BLT as initials so maybe your husband has another name he likes? (Didn't you know, that Mumsnetters almost always over-rule the husband's choice once the baby is born grin?)

GettingObsessive Tue 30-Apr-13 18:58:43

Oh, I had no idea this had moved on again!

So, I am NOT a fan of calling a baby one thing formally and then using another name in reality. No offence, it's just one of my multitudinous naming no nos.

Are there really loads of Beatrices around? I was afraid of this. Do those of you who know lots mind saying vaguely where you are in the country? I was hoping that it was still under the radar (another one of my "rules" being "name must not appear in top 25 and ideally not top 50 of ONS name statistics"

But you're all completely correct of course, Beatrice Lydia is a beautiful name wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now