Marcia

(22 Posts)
chickensaladagain Sun 28-Apr-13 07:27:51

It wouldn't even occur to me that it could be pronounced any other way than Mar-cee-a

I don't dislike it but I hate marcy which it will turn into at some point

I've never heard it said Marsha before but I really love Marcia - v pretty

Still18atheart Sat 27-Apr-13 21:50:58

I agree with the OP not keen at all

mewkins Sat 27-Apr-13 21:27:45

Yes I was at school with one in the 80s. She pronounced it Mar-cee-a. It's a nice solid name a bit old fashioned. I like that.
There's also a Marcie in the Peanuts cartoons. That's quite cute too.

KingCaractacus Sat 27-Apr-13 20:58:58

This is my Nana's name. My Nana is 65 and a lovely woman, however I'm not keen on the name personally.

My Nana pronounces is Mar-see-ya and, as far as I know, has not encountered pronunciation issues.

JojoMags Sat 27-Apr-13 20:54:11

honestly...horrid and a disaster if not pretty. Meredith, Merriel, Maeve, Margo all much nicer

PoppyAmex Sat 27-Apr-13 20:52:39

"Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!" (Brady Bunch)

thermalsinapril Sat 27-Apr-13 20:48:31

I like it, as long as it's pronounced Mar-see-uh.

Much nicer than Marsha or Martha.

BikeRunSki Sat 27-Apr-13 19:27:29

I know a preschool age Marcia. She and her family spend a great deal of time saying "No, Mar Sea Ah, not Marsha".

I personally don't particularly like or dislike it. Having grown up with a confusing surname, I deliberately gave my DC straightforward first names.

FoofFighter Sat 27-Apr-13 19:18:29

My best friend at school in the 70s/80s was called Marcia. I have never met another so to me it seems dated

Theironfistofarkus Sat 27-Apr-13 19:12:35

Ooh I like Marcella! Maybe that is an option instead?

Marrow Sat 27-Apr-13 19:10:00

One of the nicest, sweetest people I know is called Marcia (Mar cee a) so for that reason I love it smile

scaevola Sat 27-Apr-13 19:02:49

I see it as dated, and not in a good way.

mathanxiety Sat 27-Apr-13 19:01:30

Actually, I like Beryl a lot more than Marcia.

mathanxiety Sat 27-Apr-13 19:01:10

Reminds me of the Brady Bunch. A dated name. I would put it in the same bracket as Doris, Phyllis, Gladys, Beryl for unattractiveness.

awkwardsis Sat 27-Apr-13 09:16:03

Brady bunch. Sorry.

It's lovely if pronounced mar see ah

If its the other way then bleurgh

Gwennan Sat 27-Apr-13 09:10:39

I know a Marcia (Mar-see-uh) in her 30s - seems like a perfectly normal name too me.

I also know a Marcie, which I believe is a nickname for Marcella in her case.

Both are pretty.

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Sat 27-Apr-13 08:58:44

I don't really like it, but I can definitely see the good points as highlighted above ^^

Agree re pronunciation - if they're the types to be bugged by people mispronouncing, then it's maybe one to avoid.

smother Sat 27-Apr-13 08:43:25

i think it's really lovely and a good balance of unusual but not 'out there' in any way. A refreshing, grown-up and pretty kind of name.

My only hesitation would be pronounciation issues - whether people would say 'Marsia' with a soft c or Marsha with a 'sh'. I realise Marsha is a different name but I think there is a potential confusion....?

KeepYerTitsIn Sat 27-Apr-13 05:10:59

I think it's lovely, unusual but not at all weird or try-hard.

ItsYonliMe Sat 27-Apr-13 04:59:02

My, much younger, sister is having a daughter soon. She's asked me what I think of Marcia. I personally don't like it - but am I being odd? It just seems a strange kind of name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now