Isn't Phaedra a girl's name?

(17 Posts)
Stokey Fri 26-Apr-13 11:28:06

It was definitely on our girl's shortlist, and am pretty sure in Greek mythology she was someone's dd.

But Peaches Geldof has just called her baby boy Phaedra after a Tangerine Dream album.

Gerrof Fri 26-Apr-13 11:29:52

Yes it is a girl's name, but tbh I wouldn't use it as a name ( despite loving classical names) as the story of Phaedra has horrible connotations.

Stokey Fri 26-Apr-13 11:36:28

That is the trouble with most of the ancients Gerrof, they neraly all came to sticky ends.

Gerrof Fri 26-Apr-13 11:38:35

I know, I really like the name Oenone (Phaedra's sidekick) but because of the story I wouldn't use it.

In itself though Phaedra is a beautiful name euphonically.

Definitely NOT a boy's name. Mind you it is Peaches Geldof, she wasnt going to call him Bernard, and it does go with Astala.

KittenofDoom Fri 26-Apr-13 12:43:14

I always think of the trippy song by Lee Hazlewood and Nancy Sinatra

Some Velvet Morning

ipswitch Fri 26-Apr-13 16:15:06

I think its a girls name too, and don't really like it myself.
Sounds very silly IMO.

Yes,it is.

deleted203 Fri 26-Apr-13 20:24:23

Yep, it's a girl's name. But Peaches Geldof has never been overly bright, has she? Bet that her 'Boy named Sue' will loathe it when he gets older grin

FreedomOfTheTess Fri 26-Apr-13 21:15:47

With all the girls that get given boy's names (i.e. Jessica Simpson naming her daughter Maxwell), I say good on Peaches for breaking the pattern!

amessagetoyouYoni Sat 27-Apr-13 11:39:57

It is such a beautiful name. I cannot BELIEVE she has called a boy this. ROFL.

Nimthenamechanger Sat 27-Apr-13 12:15:04

I don't know why people do this when the name is so linked with a particular mythological character. I wouldn't call my daughter Bellerophon because I think it's pretty, then expect her to be anything other than confused when she looked it up later!

Pixieonthemoor Sun 28-Apr-13 15:44:02

I agree Nim - quite often, the name Lillith pops up on this board and I shudder. Just a quick google shows that it is the name of a child murdering demon!!

Also yes, Phaedra is a girls name. Why not go the whole hog and call your newborn son Margaret!!

Greythorne Sun 28-Apr-13 16:22:06

Girls do get called 'boys' Courtney, Mckenzie, Bailey,

So whilst I think Peaches doesn't realise quite what she's done because she's not the brightest little wannabe, she shouldn't be slated for it smile

LittleFeileFooFoo Sun 28-Apr-13 16:29:30

Pixieonthemoor Lilith is also a woman created from earth when Adam was. She left him and Eve was created from Adam's rib.

OrangeFootedScrubfowl Sun 28-Apr-13 17:38:21

I think if the song first too kitten.
Must dig out that album actually.

Meringue33 Sun 28-Apr-13 17:41:44

Love that song

AvrilPoisson Sun 28-Apr-13 17:54:38

Phaedrus is male (as in zen & the art of motorcycle maintenance)
Astala sounds like a girls name too though tbh...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now