Names that are bad with regional accents.

(109 Posts)
NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Thu 25-Apr-13 16:52:53

Where we live Violet become Vaa'let which doesn't sound very nice at all. DH is Aussie so some names were a no go...such as Esme....became Is-My.

clattypatty Thu 25-Apr-13 23:25:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

1944girl Thu 25-Apr-13 23:48:59

Doublecake I am a Geordie, and have a greatniece called Summa (Summer). Her second name is Rose and it sounds Roase.
Other Geordie pronunciations;
Margaret is Margrit
Peter is Peta
Any name with th in it is pronounced ff
Robert is Robat or Robit
Stephen is Steefin.
Going back to the th letters, my son, who is dyslexic and tends to spell words as they are pronounced.His second daughter's name ends with th.He nearly registered her with the wrong spelling until the registrar corrected him.
George is Jawge.

LinghamStyle Fri 26-Apr-13 00:09:30

I can't say Carl either! It's either Cal or Carol.

recall Fri 26-Apr-13 00:16:29

George in a broad Essex accent ( although I love hearing it, quite sweet )

OldLadyKnowsNothing Fri 26-Apr-13 00:19:52

So glad I'm not the only Scot who can't say Carl. My tongue just doesn't work that way.

But I can pronounce the "ch" in "loch". wink

Any accent that renders sarah (say-rah) to suh-rih/suh-rah.

Bloody hate it angry

It is say-rah not suh-rah or even worse soo-rah!

MrsSlocombesPussy Fri 26-Apr-13 00:35:52

Ptolemy in a broad Lancashire accent.

Hugh in a Suffolk accent (pronounced Hoo)

K8Middleton Fri 26-Apr-13 00:39:36

Actually I think Sarah should be Sair-ra.

Fleur sounds bloody horrible in nearly any accent but especially one that elongates the vowels.

littleginger Fri 26-Apr-13 00:42:14

Um ive never know a Sarah pronounce their own name Say-rah. It is more sir-rah surely?

Apparently my pronounciation of Claire is a bit horrendous since I no longer live with my natives (in Liverpool).

'Cliiiiiiiiiiiire'

littleginger Fri 26-Apr-13 00:43:26

Fleur for me with end up as 'flare'

Not pretty

BOF Fri 26-Apr-13 00:48:05

I was going to be called Clare, but my parents decide that as a scouser, I'd be Clerr, and it wasn't pretty.

Nooooo! Sirah is not sarah! It'd be so strange to hear i'd probably not answer it'd sound so different in my local accent (to my ears at least)

K8 with my accent sair-rah is the same as say-rah grin just to be confusing you understand

I spent years getting called 'sara' by a friends mum can you tell it's gave me a complex wink

chickensaladagain Fri 26-Apr-13 06:36:50

Anything ending in an a if you live in Manchester

Em-O
may-O

JollyPurpleGiant Fri 26-Apr-13 06:41:15

Pearl. Pronounced Peril across Scotland.

motherofvikings Fri 26-Apr-13 06:42:03

Anything that ends in an a gets butchered by bristolians. They have a weird thing of dropping the a adding an l on the end.
Eg local area becomes local are-l.

This works badly on Noah which becomes Noel. But worse on Eva who becomes evil! shock

stopthinkingsomuch Fri 26-Apr-13 06:48:04

Apparently teachers are always correcting the children when saying my child's name as they like to drop letters. Dc has now been in 2 areas in different countries and only her family say her name properly. Prefer how they said it in the other country than here.

VinegarDrinker Fri 26-Apr-13 06:48:46

Arlo really doesn't work in East London/Essex. Unless you mean the town.

TheUnicornsGoHawaiian Fri 26-Apr-13 07:07:04

In the black country, these always amuse me:-

Andrew = Androooo (massive emphasis on the ooooo)

James = Jayams

Karen = Karrunn

Sharon = Sharrunn

smile

TheFillyjonk Fri 26-Apr-13 07:20:12

Valleys - Joseph became 'jaw-seff'

West London (not the posh bit!) - names like Amelia become Uhmeliahhh

badtime Fri 26-Apr-13 07:59:10

I am another one who loathes how 'Fleur' sounds in most accents. I always do a double take when anyone here says how pretty it sounds.

Where I am from (NI), the 70s had a particularly rich harvest of dreadful sounding names. 'Karen', 'Sharon' and 'Darren' are generally pronounced Karn, Sharn and Darn (although you should bear in mind NI is a rhotic accent, and the 'r' is pronounced).

freerangeeggs Fri 26-Apr-13 08:23:28

"Carl in (my) Glaswegian accent, I physically cannot say it, I can't get my tongue around it.
Fortunately you don't get many Carl's here (cos it's unpronounceable?) but my head office is full of them, I dread having to speak to one of them!"

This! I had to teach one and the kids thought it was hilarious because I kept calling him Carol.

LadyFlumpalot Fri 26-Apr-13 08:40:38

Doesn't matter what accent you have, never call your son Mike if your surname is Hunt...

forgetmenots Fri 26-Apr-13 08:41:13

Another one here who can't say Carl. Or Pearl. RLs at the end must be the issue.

Agree with BOF about Clare/Claire in a Scouse accent, but I'd extend that to a lot of English or non-rhotic accents, and to names with an R in the middle! I will love hearing dc1 being called Orla if she is a girl in Scotland and Ireland, but awwluh, like a lot of my English pals have pronounced it, is awwwful!

NotTreadingGrapes Fri 26-Apr-13 08:43:21

Someone I know had 3 children whose names all ended in -y. She was black country and the -y was just turned into -oy (think Barry from Auf Wiedersehen if you're old enough)

WellJustCallHimDave Fri 26-Apr-13 08:48:23

Try Katie with a Durham accent. It sounds something like Ke-air-tee. Awful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now