boy or girl names, that are about faith, hope, deterimation and bravery?

(18 Posts)

i can only think of the obvious girls names of faith and hope

can you think of any otheres

LentilAsAnything Wed 24-Apr-13 21:00:38

Virtue Names? That kind of thing?

KittenofDoom Wed 24-Apr-13 21:06:55

There are some crackers there and no mistake grin

Deliverance shock

oh thanks, yes on that list faith and hope are really the only ones you could use as names really

KittenofDoom Wed 24-Apr-13 21:23:35

Diasgree. There's quite a few that are perfectly usable! Verity, Felicity, Clemency, Mercy, Honor, Joy ....

KittenofDoom Wed 24-Apr-13 21:28:49

Constance is close to your brief, OP - steadfast, dependable, enduring, faithful ....

LittleMissLucy Wed 24-Apr-13 21:32:51

Arthur means brave

CheesyPoofs Wed 24-Apr-13 21:50:13

I'd think twice before giving your child a name meaning determination grin

PyroclasticFlo Wed 24-Apr-13 21:53:35

Endeavour? (Inspector Morse fan!)
My eldest DS is Arthur, it means both 'bear' and 'he who is as strong as a rock' so not quite 'brave' but not far off.
If you can't find a name meaning those things that you like how about thinking of people you admire who have those qualities and naming your DC after them?

lol cheesy, good point

hmm i will need to think about this

shelli135 Thu 25-Apr-13 11:51:13

I love Arthur - my top name but DP won't have it

Elpida is Greek for Hope
Alethea is Greek for Truth

This may be the sort of avenue you wish to explore

NoPartyDay Thu 25-Apr-13 12:33:33

Brianna means brave warrior

MammyG Sat 27-Apr-13 00:05:09

Some irish names if you are interested............
Aoife (EE-fe) From the Old Irish Aífe, a goddess name meaning 'beautiful, radiant, joyful'. In a tale of apprenticeship of the Ulster hero Cú Chulainn, Aífe was the fiercest woman warrior in the world.
Aileen (ay-leen) From the old Irish ‘ail’ meaning ‘noble.’. The -een is a diminutive, so little noble one. It is a variation of Eileen.
Brigid, Bridget The name comes from the Irish ‘brigh’ meaning ‘powerful’ or ‘high one’. While mostly associated with St Brigid, it is actually a much older Celtic name. In fact St Brigid predates Christianity too, and was the most important goddess of Celtic times.
Caitríona - (ka-TREE-na) This is the Irish version of the name Cathleen.Revered for her courage and purity
Gormlaith - (GOORM-la) From the Old Irish gorm, meaning splendid + flaith, meaning 'queen, sovereignty'. An especially popular Irish girl name throughout medieval times, shared by many queens
Laoise - (LEE sha) Irish form of the name Louise, Laoise means 'radiant girl'
Maebh (may-vuh) An ancient Irish name meaning ‘bringer of great joy’ or ‘enchanting one’. Meave was a legendary Queen of Connaught (the west of Ireland) who invaded Ulster.
Rian Rhionnan (ree-an/ree-an-on) Means little King, can be used for boys also but is usually a girls name. Also found in Wales.
Rionach (ria-nock or Ree on ah) Means ‘like a queen’ or regal.

Órla - (OHR-la) From the Old Irish ór, meaning 'gold' + flaith, meaning 'sovereignty, queen'. Brian Boru's sister and daughter were both named Órla, so it has always been a very popular Irish baby girl name,
Sadhbh (sighve) Means ‘goodness’
Saoirse (seersha) Means ‘freedom’.

babacoon Sat 27-Apr-13 08:25:44

MammyG you just killed this post.

<puts helmet on> grin

Caitríona love that

Ham69 Sat 27-Apr-13 10:21:15

I know a Blessing and a Favour!
Silence would be a good name to shout across a playground grin

MadameJosephine Sun 28-Apr-13 18:05:34

I know a man named Courage and siblings called blessing and Awesome

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now