Pontus?

(45 Posts)
cinnamonbun Mon 22-Apr-13 17:21:36

We're both Swedish and want a Swedish name for DS. Have no idea how Pontus sounds to English ears. Thoughts?

Laquila Sat 27-Apr-13 23:31:55

Not keen on Pontus - agree with the Pontius Pilate associations.

I like Alfons, though, and also like Elias (Ee-LYE-us). I also really like Emil, and Nils.

diddl I think people are just being honest about the immediate associations they make when they hear the name Pontus (which is I think what the OP was looking for). Certainly you only have to look at the breadth of threads in the Baby Names category to realise that not all MNers are calling their kids Jack and Harry!

Elias Magnus and Marcus are all nice suggestions - personally not so keen on rasmas but prefer it to Pontus.

battyralphie Fri 26-Apr-13 13:31:17

dementedma...yes!! Thats the one, nowadays it seems a bit politically incorrect, but as a child I was obsessed with it

NoRoomForMeInMyBed Fri 26-Apr-13 10:57:20

swedish baby names
My BIL says that the classlists in Sweden now read like a list at the old peoples homes, as all the old fashioned names are back in fashion! Names like Gillis and Gösta are all the rage, Gunnar is probably creeping in too. Tobias is another contender I think!

NoRoomForMeInMyBed Fri 26-Apr-13 10:53:44

Hampus? Lovely name again but as with Pontus the Brits wont get it....

diddl Fri 26-Apr-13 08:21:59

Forgot to say-wonder if Gunnar will become popular due to "Nashville"?

diddl Fri 26-Apr-13 08:18:31

I don't know why people seem to find it so hard to accept other European names.

If it's not Jack or Harry, from a lot of reactions you'd think that they were being called "piece of shit".

Broader minds needed!!

Like Rasmus also.

cinnamonbun Thu 25-Apr-13 22:37:08

NoRoom... I love the name Rasmus too and would go for it if it wasn't for the fact that it's also my brother's name sad I actually suggested Magnus to DH but he's not so keen...

NoRoomForMeInMyBed Thu 25-Apr-13 21:57:20

Love Pontus, but Im a Swede too...I love Rasmus and Marcus too. What about Magnus? Works well in the UK!

fussychica Wed 24-Apr-13 17:04:00

Elias - good strong name - go with it.

TheRealFellatio Tue 23-Apr-13 18:56:05

No.

Maybe that explains it then Shadow, I'm Jewish and was exempt from anything christian at school.

Although DH, who went to a church school and the DCs have given me blank looks so perhaps we're just the thickest family on mn confused

I immediately think "pointless", sorry.

ShadowStorm Tue 23-Apr-13 18:14:09

I think Pontius Pilate too.

I would pronounce Elias as El-eye-as unless told differently.

( tig - Pontius Pilate is someone that I'd expect all Christians, and also non-Christians who know details about the cruxificion to have heard of. Probably Seeker and Jazz are assuming that most people in the UK will have been taught about this during RE lessons at school, or from parents if parents are Christian?)

I think at school - Easter kind of time and just in general he's quite a famous literary/religious character. I'm not gob smacked but surprised - like I said.

Colyngbourne Tue 23-Apr-13 16:57:39

I like Pontus, and knew it as a Swedish name (Lisa in Astrid Lindgren's Bullerby stories calls her pet lamb Pontus) - and I think it is great as a boy's name. Elias is also good - I would pronounce it El-eye-us.

Sorry to gobsmack you Seeker and Jazz, I have no idea why its something most people would know. Where have you learn't such information?

(I'm going to be asking people all week if they know who he is now)

I like Elias but would automatically say el eye as until corrected.

Also surprised that someone wouldn't know who Pilate is!

seeker Tue 23-Apr-13 08:54:25

So gobsmacked that somebody would not know who Pontius Pilate was than I can't comment any further!

diddl Tue 23-Apr-13 08:51:01

I really like Pontus.

Also like Elias.

Would also say El-eye-us(unless corrected, of course)

thermalsinapril Mon 22-Apr-13 23:34:41

I've only ever heard it pronounced El - EYE -us.

Great name, very nice.

dementedma Mon 22-Apr-13 21:30:52

battyralphie was it pondus the penguin? I have yet to find anyone who had that book! Pond us wore a red scarf and got lost in the zoo?

cinnamonbun Mon 22-Apr-13 21:16:58

I find it so hard to think of boys' names that I like (and that DH likes too). Meant to say in my first post that I'd like a Scandinavian name, not necessarily Swedish. I quite like Alfons but not sure that works over here? Elias (pronounced 'El-ee-us' in Swedish) is probably my favourite atm.

wedontplaywithelectrics Mon 22-Apr-13 20:31:44

Love Elias. I would pronounce it Eh-lee-us (similar to Elliot) but the other pronunciation is equally as nice

I'd pronounce it El-eye-us I guess so it rhymes with Pious/Bias/Papyrus.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now