Arianwen?

(34 Posts)
aufaniae Mon 22-Apr-13 11:19:05

I love it but not sure if it's a bit of a mouthful for everyday life?

quertas Mon 29-Apr-13 20:16:18

I love it! But an alternative would be Adwen if you're unsure. I wanted to call DD Adwen but DH was having none of it hmmgrump

spiderlight Mon 29-Apr-13 14:03:06

I love it! I'm Welsh and don't think it's too much of a mouthful, but Anwen on its own is also lovely. Llongyfarchiadau!

harryhausen Mon 29-Apr-13 00:06:24

Where I grew up (north wales) 'Arian' is used to mean 'money' in welsh everyday language. Although I vaguely remember its true meaning is 'silver'. It would really put me off though.

I much prefer Eirwen or even Arwen.

MrsTwgtwf Sun 28-Apr-13 23:49:36

There was a thread here a few months ago about Arrietty (from The Borrowers). Arianwen would've been a good alternative, although lots of people liked Arrietty. Fond memories of the books. Your dd could shorten Arianwen to Ann/Annie/Anwen; although she may not want to!

REally wish I'd thought of it!

lagoonhaze Sun 28-Apr-13 23:46:54

Love it but agree hard for some to spell etc.

Anwen and arwen are lovely

As is Cerys but then im bias.

fuzzywuzzy Sun 28-Apr-13 23:42:53

Its in the snow spider I think that is the name of the snow spider. I think its beautiful

MrsTwgtwf Sun 28-Apr-13 23:39:12

Many congratulations, aufaniae! Arianwen is a wonderful name IMO, so pretty, and I've never heard it before. I used to work with a Ceinwen. I imagined it pronounced as you said, so no association with aryan at all. "Wen" seems very common in Welsh names, lovely sound.

MortifiedAdams Sun 28-Apr-13 23:33:22

Eirwen? Means snow white I believe.

chipmonkey Sun 28-Apr-13 23:32:12

Arwen is actually a real name and was around before LOTR but I suppose LOTR made it well-known and it probably will always have elf-associations. But I do prefer it to Arianwen.

spottyparrot Sun 28-Apr-13 23:14:00

Never heard of it and feel bad writing this, hope it doesn't come across as mean but my first thought was:

Arianwen = Arian wench, as in a woman of Hitler's desired race.

OkayHazel Sun 28-Apr-13 23:01:26

Hate it.

Is it The Snow Spider, or The Owl Service? I deffo remember thinking it was lovely when reading whichever it was as a child.

It's lovely, but would only use if Welsh.

melodyme Sun 28-Apr-13 19:53:13

How do you pronounce it?

Makes me think of the Snow Spider too, called my dog Bethan from that book grin

Lovely name OP, but if you're not in/near Wales people may struggle with the pronunciation.

Justsomehappygirl Mon 22-Apr-13 18:09:34

Beautiful name. gringrin

wiltingfast Mon 22-Apr-13 18:03:34

Hmmmm, it's heavy weather really isn't it? I prefer your other choices tbh.

MineOrk Mon 22-Apr-13 14:09:09

Aww welcome baby girl, many congrats OP. Both my girls were born on a Wednesday and DP wanted to use that as a name! Your LO also shares a birthday with my MIL who is very clever and lovely and sensible. (But I don't think you'd like her name).

You've had so many name suggestions I don't know how you can choose. Going by your last threads I'd say Aisling Estelle ( dream star) or Marianne Carys ( nod to family and Mari for short, and beloved with respect to the Welsh contingent).

I bet she is lush, all the best with her no matter what she is called.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 22-Apr-13 12:29:42

It's pretty but it you're worried that it's a mouthful what about Awen?

SoupDragon Mon 22-Apr-13 12:28:09

I think it's lovely.

ScrambledSmegs Mon 22-Apr-13 12:24:57

Not saying the other names aren't proper, btw!

strangethingsareafootatcirclek Mon 22-Apr-13 12:24:36

It's lovely. Love the name Carys too though.

ScrambledSmegs Mon 22-Apr-13 12:24:00

Bloody gorgeous. No, I think it's fine. I love 'proper' names.

Gerrof Mon 22-Apr-13 12:17:07

Snow Spider.

I'll shut up now.

It means silver and blessed fwiw.

Anyway it is an absolutely lovely name.

Gerrof Mon 22-Apr-13 12:15:05

It's a lovely name. Wasn't it the name of a character in a lovely novel called the Silver Spider?

It means much loved doesn't it (or is this Angharad?).

I like Cerys as well, went to school with a Cerys and always thought it a beautiful name.

dyslexicdespot Mon 22-Apr-13 12:14:00

Arianwen sounds beautiful the way that you pronounce it. Ignore my previous comment!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now