The old lady/man names

(53 Posts)
Stripedsocksarecool Fri 19-Apr-13 23:47:11

Genuine question, I don't live in the UK and haven't for a few years. I'm quite surprised to see so many old names are becoming popular. How long do you think the trend/fad for old lady/man names is going to last?

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Mon 22-Apr-13 23:23:01

There's nothing hard sounding about Agatha....?

And again, it's only fashion that dictates how names sound to the current generation.

At the moment girls' names are are very frilly and feminine with 'y/ie', 'elle/ella' and 'a' endings - Millie, Lilie, Evie, Ruby, Daisy, Sophie, Annabel/lle, Isabelle/a, Amelia, Freya, Olivia, Sophia, etc, etc, ad nauseum.

But a generation or two ago, the taste was definitely for less frilly names with consonant endings, e.g. Helen, Joanne, Karen, Nicole, Janet, Jane, Ann/e, Catherine, Susan, Margaret, etc, etc.

People are already beginning to get sick of the overtly feminine names. The switch back to less frilly names will happen, just as the cycle of fashion always continues to turn.

And then the names won't sound 'hard', they'll sound <positive adjective> because that'll be the fashion of the time.

Ravenjade Tue 14-Apr-15 04:33:25

I'm not so much of a fan of the old fashioned lady names as I am of the male ones; I think surname-like male names are cool sounding. The names like 'Fletcher', 'Seth', 'Russell', 'Alphonse', 'Reuben', 'Finnian', and 'Everett' all catch my eye, but If I try to go for a girl's name from the same day and age I get 'Ethel' and 'Maude' which don't have any appeal to me.

Every time I hear 'Ethel' I think of
'I Love Lucy', and I wouldn't want to be named something as timelessly common as 'George' or 'Thomas'

I think the naming process is continuously repeating, and in a hundred years or so, 'Isabele' will come back into the fashion of the new day and age.

IvoryMadonna Tue 14-Apr-15 12:03:33

This thread is a couple of years old, but the topic is always interesting.

I agree that some of the so-called "classic" names aren't in fact perennial. I'm in my 50s and names like William, Thomas, George, Edward were rare in my generation and were "grandad" names to us. They started to come back into fashion with our children's generation.

In any trend or generation there are names I like and dislike. There are names I think are ugly (Ethel, Mildred) but other names of the same vintage that I do like. Likewise there are names from my own generation that I have always thought ugly, but others that are nice. It's best to study a name dispassionately, disregarding any personal associations and generational bias. From my mother's generation for instance: I still don't like Joyce, but I always liked Pamela: I never used to like Dorothy, but now I think it's a pretty name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now