Avis

(37 Posts)

What is the MN consensus on Avis (for a girl?)

mathanxiety Thu 18-Apr-13 23:36:35

It is a rental car company name.

Avery is nice though..

Car hire. Sorry.

Marrow Thu 18-Apr-13 23:38:22

Hertz for a boy? Do you like Ava instead?

ZenNudist Thu 18-Apr-13 23:38:28

Car hire deffo

I like it. I'm trying to foist it on one of my many pregnant friends.

My dd's dad vetoed it. We chose a similar name instead. Just wanted to get your opinions.

BallerinaZeena Fri 19-Apr-13 00:11:58

Car hire.

UnrequitedSkink Fri 19-Apr-13 00:16:26

In and of itself it's lovely, but 95% of people will automatically equate it with car hire. Which is a shame. What about Arden?

lottiegarbanzo Fri 19-Apr-13 08:43:27

Car hire and sounds like a cross or confusion between Ava and Mavis.

Sunnysummer Fri 19-Apr-13 11:51:12

Car hire. I feel your pain, for a girl I wanted Clio (like the muse, but everyone just thought 'like the Renault').

My first thoughts were 'afis' the fingerprint thing. . I watch a lot of cop shows!

After that i thought misspelling of mavis.

lollystix Fri 19-Apr-13 12:01:27

I just thought 'Hertz'.

itsnothingoriginal Fri 19-Apr-13 14:00:37

Car hire sorry!

How about Anis/Annis/Anys? (old fashioned versions of Agnes)

Squigglypig Fri 19-Apr-13 14:01:38

Ava? Avis had me thinking car hire too - sorry.

cece Fri 19-Apr-13 14:03:39

Alright if you want car rental jokes forevermore.

thermalsinapril Fri 19-Apr-13 14:08:08

Car hire.

It's funny you all say that, because I know an adult Avis in RL and I've never heard anyone make the connection, and she has never complained about it.

Car hire!!!!!!

Still18atheart Fri 19-Apr-13 14:19:01

Car hire sorry

She'll be confused with all the Ava's in her class too. They are dozens of baby girl Ava's around here

flipchart Fri 19-Apr-13 14:23:28

It's DH's ex girl friends name.

Tbh I like it.

MummyBurrows Fri 19-Apr-13 15:04:00

Why are u trying to foist it onto one of ur pregnant friends if its a name u like? What if u hav another child,wouldn't u rather keep the name for that?

I may sound rude now but if she's having none of it-which I'm assuming she isnt-then why not give up and leave her to it? Only saying this as I'm having the exact same issue with my mother who keeps throwing the same names at me (that she likes and knows I dont!) on a daily basis and its driving me round the fecking bend so can imagine if ur doing the same with Avis to ur friend then she's probably feeling the exact same way I am which is one of growing frustration and the urge to say "Shut the hell up! Its nots happening!"... Sorry but it does get really annoying after a while,especially if uve made it clear u don't like the name usually by saying "I'll think about it" out of sheer politeness,not because u have any intention of actually considering it ...

As for the name itself,personally I think its a silly name,it sounds like its supposed to be Mavis but someone got lazy or made a typo and forgot the M...x

Bunbaker Fri 19-Apr-13 15:09:15

Car hire.

Sarah0378 Fri 19-Apr-13 15:14:35

Car hire. Seeing the title of this thread I actually thought it was a spammer advertising.

manicinsomniac Fri 19-Apr-13 15:17:26

I've never heard of the car hire company (possibly because I've never hired a car and walk/drive round with my eyes shut!)

I know an Avis. She's about 70 though. I'm not keen to be honest.

Woah MummyBurrows, projection much? I was being a bit tongue in cheek.

I just felt like getting an opinion on a name I like. Sorry that it has offended you so much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now