We got the name wrong....

(36 Posts)
TwinkleSparkleBling Thu 18-Apr-13 23:16:20

DD2 is called Freya. It's become really popular, I never really liked it (dh's influence) and it doesn't suit her.

I prefer Miranda (Mimi) and she probably looks like a Megan in all honesty.

Any suggestions for a suitable nn?

fussychica Fri 19-Apr-13 16:56:23

Freya is lovely and prefer to Miranda but if you are changing do it soon.

PearlyWhites Fri 19-Apr-13 16:58:54

If you did decide her name you can before 12 months

LeChatRouge Fri 19-Apr-13 17:03:33

I changed from my middle made up name to my first name one day when I was about 8. From that day on, that was my name. I had to correct a few people, but they soon got used to me not replying unless they said the right one.

I like the name Freya, but if you all agree, change it. She's got another 90 odd years to go, might as well be something you like!

flipchart Fri 19-Apr-13 17:06:30

I liked the name but 2 of my friends called their dogs Freya.
So everytime I hear Freya I think of a rottweiler or a Pug!

HazardLamps Fri 19-Apr-13 17:08:29

There's nothing to stop you changing your daughter's name at this stage if you want to, either legally or practically. I changed my child's name at about 6 months old.

Miranda is a lovely name but should never be shortened. grin

HazardLamps Fri 19-Apr-13 17:09:13

I meant shock not :D there!

Yika Fri 19-Apr-13 20:00:30

If you like her middle name, why not call her both for a while, like a double barrelled name, and then gradually phase out the Freya part.

I called my daughter a deliberately plain, classic, not very trendy name. Hey presto, of course it shot up the charts in the year of her birth and now there are millions with the same name. At her nursery, therefore, I suggested they call her first name + middle name together to distinguish her from the others. It caught on within a couple of days. It would be easy enough to phase out the first name I think.

Just an idea.
I actually like Freya, Miranda, Mimi AND Megan, FWIW smile

TwinkleSparkleBling Fri 19-Apr-13 22:15:58

Thank you for all your replies. And for not telling me I'm being daft.

DH and I had a good chat about it a few weeks ago. He hadn't realised how strongly I felt about it and said he would agree to changing if it was that important to me.

It is the popularity that is really bothering me. Maybe we were just unlucky that we bumped into so many Freya's thanks Center Parcs and it just brought it all to a head. Locally I haven't heard the name and when we registered her we were told there had only been 1 other in 3 years and that was the register's daughter! I felt quite happy then, so maybe I am over reacting.

You're right, I do like Fifi and thought about using this, but then worried it sounded like a poodle's name (to continue the dog theme!). I may yet try this again.

I REALLY like the idea of using her 1st and middle name together and then phasing out the Freya part.

I think I will do this and work on DH for DC3 in the hope of another girl who WILL be Miranda grin

TwinkleSparkleBling Fri 19-Apr-13 22:18:13

Oh and I must have been going on about this too much as DD1 (2.4) turned to me today and said " Mimi me want to be call Mimi now" . Well it would be a shame not to indulge her. A whole new thread wink

saycheeeeeese Fri 19-Apr-13 22:26:24

What about adding a d and make it Freyda?

Thirstysomething Fri 19-Apr-13 22:33:58

My sis-in-law is Mimi because when she started talking, she asked for everything by saying Me Me! Hijack this?! Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now