Asa or Asher?

(32 Posts)
GiveMeVegemite Thu 18-Apr-13 20:00:15

Thoughts please!

My husband and I like both these names for our soon-to-be-son.

I have a slight preference towards Asher and he likes Asa a bit better....

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Sat 20-Apr-13 21:58:48

Oooh, I never thought I'd suffer the ignominy of having one of my kids' names associated with being, as we say delicately, "downmarket". I am feeling decidedly Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells about it. I am distinctly middle class (much as I tried to fight against this as a reactionary teen) as are all of the other families with Ashers that I know of.

Asher has been widely used by the Jewish community for decades, although it's fair to say it's only more recently become more widespread. However, I see it as part of the same trend which has led to Elijah, Eli, Isaac, Reuben etc becoming popular, none of which were used outside of the Jewish community when I was young.

Bowlersarm Fri 19-Apr-13 20:57:46

I know A LOT of dogs-never heard of an Asa as a dogs name before. However, dogs can be called, and are called, anything at all. It's not a dogs name. Well no more than any other baby's name at the moment

DrinkFeckArseGirls Fri 19-Apr-13 20:54:10

Btw not bye

DrinkFeckArseGirls Fri 19-Apr-13 20:53:57

Not my opinion bye, just knew 2 dogs called that.

MiaowTheCat Fri 19-Apr-13 20:53:15

Asa - I can never see it as a high court judge or anything in that kind of name test... but that's cos I had a brief thing with a guy called it whose entire wardrobe consisted of Man City shirts from every year in the previous two decades.

Apart from tragic footballing connotations for me - I quite like the name.

I did come across a child called Ace relatively recently... was fighting the urge to make comments about smoking kippers and being back for breakfast...

DrinkFeckArseGirls Fri 19-Apr-13 20:53:10

Asa is a dog's name.

Asa!

MothershipG Fri 19-Apr-13 20:37:50

Thank goodness someone else mentioned Asa Briggs Lottie! I was starting to think I was the only one to have that association, great name, go with Asa!

GiveMeVegemite Fri 19-Apr-13 13:28:31

We are not religious, but they are actually both names from the bible! Asher was the 8th son of Jacob and Asa was the king of Judah.
Both names were very prominent in the 19th century, especially with the puritans and kind of lost popularity towards the start if the 20th century apparently.

lottiegarbanzo Fri 19-Apr-13 13:16:20

For me it's about sound and associations. Asa - Asa Briggs, eminent historian. Asher - Asher D, rapper turned actor (really called Ashley).

I've only heard of anyone called Asher in the last 20 years, though it's biblical isn't it. I thought it might have superseded Ashley, as a nn and trendier version, also as Ashley's become more feminine.

galwaygirl Fri 19-Apr-13 13:14:18

That's an accent on the first a! And the pronunciation is totally different to Asa

galwaygirl Fri 19-Apr-13 13:13:37

Asher is less complicated than Asa imo as the pronunciation is obvious and it's more obviously male.
Åsa (accent on the a) is a fairly common girls name in Scandinavia.

Sunnysummer Fri 19-Apr-13 11:49:57

Agree that in some areas Asher is likely to lead people to form some instant opinions - also, in my area Asher would also probably be a girl.

Asa, on the other hand, is too rare for prejudices and too short to sound snooty, plus Ace is an awesome nickname!

GiveMeVegemite Fri 19-Apr-13 09:28:47

bowler cool, that's the right pronunciation.

Bowlersarm Fri 19-Apr-13 09:21:42

I would pronounce it Acer

GiveMeVegemite Fri 19-Apr-13 09:20:06

Geeze, so interesting how people perceive names.

I thought Asa was pronounced Ass-a, which I obviously wasnt keen on, but once my husband told me the pronunciation I really liked it too.

I am pretty torn still though!

lottiegarbanzo Fri 19-Apr-13 08:40:24

I perceive them very differently, despite sounding similar. Asa does indeed pass the high court judge test, Asher does not (but who knows in forty years time). Asher sounds trendy and urban, Asa classic and self-possessed.

DontSHOUTTTTTT Fri 19-Apr-13 08:21:55

I would not have known how to pronounce Asa and I wouldn't have known if it were a boys or girls name. It sounds nice though.

GiveMeVegemite Fri 19-Apr-13 07:41:26

Seems pretty evenly divided! I must admit I do liken the nickname Ash better than Ace though!

Asa is pronounced Aye-suh

DebsMorgan Thu 18-Apr-13 23:29:46

Asa is great, I know a beautiful little boy named Asa.

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Thu 18-Apr-13 22:42:29

Mewkins, Asha is the feminine spelling. The boys' name is spelt with an "er" ending.

thermalsinapril Thu 18-Apr-13 22:19:15

Asher

OkayHazel Thu 18-Apr-13 21:55:14

My friend Asa is a postman. Lovely name!

CurryChip Thu 18-Apr-13 21:51:20

I adore the name Asa mewkins its pronounced Ay sah. It's on my list should I have a boy. It makes me think of Asa Butterfield who played the boy in the striped pyjamas. Asher sounds like someone sneezing.

Love, love, love Asher. Don't like Asa.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now