Asa or Asher?

(32 Posts)
GiveMeVegemite Thu 18-Apr-13 20:00:15

Thoughts please!

My husband and I like both these names for our soon-to-be-son.

I have a slight preference towards Asher and he likes Asa a bit better....

Asa!

DrinkFeckArseGirls Fri 19-Apr-13 20:53:10

Asa is a dog's name.

MiaowTheCat Fri 19-Apr-13 20:53:15

Asa - I can never see it as a high court judge or anything in that kind of name test... but that's cos I had a brief thing with a guy called it whose entire wardrobe consisted of Man City shirts from every year in the previous two decades.

Apart from tragic footballing connotations for me - I quite like the name.

I did come across a child called Ace relatively recently... was fighting the urge to make comments about smoking kippers and being back for breakfast...

DrinkFeckArseGirls Fri 19-Apr-13 20:53:57

Not my opinion bye, just knew 2 dogs called that.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Fri 19-Apr-13 20:54:10

Btw not bye

Bowlersarm Fri 19-Apr-13 20:57:46

I know A LOT of dogs-never heard of an Asa as a dogs name before. However, dogs can be called, and are called, anything at all. It's not a dogs name. Well no more than any other baby's name at the moment

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Sat 20-Apr-13 21:58:48

Oooh, I never thought I'd suffer the ignominy of having one of my kids' names associated with being, as we say delicately, "downmarket". I am feeling decidedly Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells about it. I am distinctly middle class (much as I tried to fight against this as a reactionary teen) as are all of the other families with Ashers that I know of.

Asher has been widely used by the Jewish community for decades, although it's fair to say it's only more recently become more widespread. However, I see it as part of the same trend which has led to Elijah, Eli, Isaac, Reuben etc becoming popular, none of which were used outside of the Jewish community when I was young.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now