Dennis?

(21 Posts)
sjclarke86 Wed 17-Apr-13 23:48:15

My great uncle who I was very close to and everyone says my DH is like never married and never had children, although he loved them dearly, my grandmother who I am very close to (his sister) always looked after
him in older age like he did when they were younger. I would love our children to be like that and would like to name out child (if a boy) after him. I am interested to know people's opinions. Thanks

bridgetsmum Wed 17-Apr-13 23:49:47

I love it.
I've an uncle and a cousin called Dennis, it's a great name xx

AuntieStella Wed 17-Apr-13 23:55:10

Lovely name, but difficult associations

"The Menace" has been around for a few generations, and he's still going strong.

Today (literally!) it's Thatcher (but that'll be more transient)l

Also Dirty Den.

Ham69 Wed 17-Apr-13 23:55:32

It would make a great middle name.

squoosh Wed 17-Apr-13 23:59:01

Not a fan.

KittenOfDoom Thu 18-Apr-13 00:21:14

Denis Thatcher has been gone a while, so I doubt many people would automatically think of him. In any case he was a rather admirable bloke.

Dennis the Menace, nothing wrong with that either! A cross-generation icon.

Pronounce and spell it the French way, and you get a very cool song by Blondie.

Don't know who or what Dirty Den is.

readyforno2 Thu 18-Apr-13 01:05:42

One of mine is a Dennis.

It's a great name.

He does get a lot of 'Dennis the menace' but he doesn't mind. To be honest I think he quite likes it, he used to say he was famous.

raisah Thu 18-Apr-13 07:18:27

Great name but if you are unsure then use it as a middle name.
Alexander Dennis
Theodore Dennis
Michael Dennis

harleyd Thu 18-Apr-13 09:43:50

dp has suggested that if we have a boy. after bergkamp
i dont like it

sjclarke86 Thu 18-Apr-13 09:47:45

Thanks for comments. It's quite an old name so I am surprised it hasn't gained more popularity recently. I don't mind the Dennis the menace nickname, it's well know my DH was a naughty little boy so I think that's quite funny. Not so much the dirty den likening shock
My niece watched the film Dennis with me and said we can shout deenniiiiss when he is naughty!

X

I know 2 little Dennises!

Ponderosa Thu 18-Apr-13 09:50:13

My DS1 would have made a perfect Dennis (I still think so) but DH wasn't on board. I love it.

MiniTheMinx Thu 18-Apr-13 09:53:27

I love it, I would though grin

MsJupiterJones Thu 18-Apr-13 10:57:26

I know two little Dennises too!

DaveMccave Thu 18-Apr-13 13:24:33

I like it, I think it's really cute. I do think menace but that's what's likeable about it. I think of that really cute naughty kid in the 90's film 'Dennis'.

Happiestinwellybobs Thu 18-Apr-13 13:26:07

I love it smile

JennyFromTheBog Thu 18-Apr-13 13:27:48

I know one who is a toxic narcissistic wolf in sheeps clothing, but, objectively, I think, if I didn't knwo of that person Iwould think it was a cute name for a toddler. Bruce is the same vein and I like that too. I like Victor too. And Donald. I guess any name that is not 'finn' or oscar or felix, you're going to knwo adults with that name.

thermalsinapril Thu 18-Apr-13 16:23:48

Eastenders

fussychica Thu 18-Apr-13 16:57:17

Don't like it as a first name but good middle name. Once knew a Christopher Dennis who was called CD!

dementedma Fri 19-Apr-13 20:46:47

raisahAlexander Dennis is a big multinational bus manufacturer in Falkirk!

KittenOfDoom Sat 20-Apr-13 01:32:48

But not a lot of people know that smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now