What do you think about Lowen?

(21 Posts)
Sunnysummer Fri 19-Apr-13 11:55:55

Love Elowen, agree that Lowen sounds a bit masculine and also a little bit Away In a Manger ("the cattle are 'Lowen', the baby awakes"...)

Nivet Fri 19-Apr-13 09:46:24

Helpfully I like Lowen, Lowenna and Elowen. Elowen is my favourite but I do already know a couple, both lovely though.

turkeyboots Fri 19-Apr-13 09:37:24

It means lion in German and is the name of a v popular beer. Bit like calling your daughter Fosters!

Thirstysomething Fri 19-Apr-13 09:08:29

Demelzajane (sorry to hijack thread) - did you ever have any nn's? We are Cornish too and considering it if we have a girl this time
thanks!
PS op, still prefer Lowenna I think? Just cos of the m/f thing, esp if out of Cornwall

itsnothingoriginal Fri 19-Apr-13 09:00:02

I love it but for a boy not a girl! It's a great name but definitely more masculine. I would have considered it for DS if I'd heard it as his name is quite similar!!

Elowen is a pretty name..

nooka Fri 19-Apr-13 05:36:38

I like Lowenna too smile

Demelzajane Thu 18-Apr-13 21:07:50

Hi ya love all of them but being Cornish myself and having a Cornish name I would! I went to school with a Lowen she was lovely and have never thought it masculine. We named our daughter Merryn but that seems to be very popular now. If you like it go with it I love have a distinct name and I am proud to say its Cornishwhen asked about it.

ditsydoll Thu 18-Apr-13 16:14:49

First thing I thought when I saw it before reading your post was boys name, but the more I think about it as a girl's name I actually quite like it. Plenty of names are unisex that once would have been boys names smile

Offcolour Thu 18-Apr-13 16:08:36

Elowen is gorgeous. I thought Lowen would be a boy's name. Not keen on Lowenna

Thirstysomething Wed 17-Apr-13 13:46:23

Lowenna x

MoonHare Wed 17-Apr-13 11:30:55

Feminine - wriggling 5 month old makes for tricky typing.

MoonHare Wed 17-Apr-13 11:29:52

Lovely sounding name but agree its more masculine. Love the alternative suggestion of Elowen - beautiful, sounds like a Tolkein-esque elf name. Lowenna is lovely too - definitely more femine sounding a good compromise op.

us4downhere Wed 17-Apr-13 09:38:57

Thanks everyone...I did wonder if it sounded a bit masculine. And nooka that's what my dad said grin

Like Lowenna too, so may go for that. Love the spelling of Elowen though.

intheshed Wed 17-Apr-13 06:44:51

Like it but prefer Lowenna.

SirDoris Wed 17-Apr-13 06:41:28

It's the name of the holiday cottage we're staying at near St Austell next week!

nooka Wed 17-Apr-13 06:31:19

I agree Elowen has a lovely musical sound to it. Lowen sounds to me a bit like 'the cattle are lowing' and I'd not automatically think it was for a girl at all.

TheSecondComing Tue 16-Apr-13 21:22:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Stateofgrace Tue 16-Apr-13 21:20:32

I have a gorgeous 1m old Elowen and she is so so beautiful. Cornish for elm tree. My gran was confused about her name at first, but has ''got it'' now. I too was reticent that it was too ''out there'' but now it is just her name iyswim.

She gets called by her full name by everyone except my dneice (8) who calls her Lolo (we stress the second syllable eh-LOW-en) hence the Lolo nickname. I dont mind that dn calls her this, but woe betide anyone else who tries it.

(Woe betide made me feel a bit grand then, like a medieval villain).

Ahem, I digress, I think Elowen is slightly more feminine sounding than just Lowen - plus it reminds me of Lindsay Lohan for some reason. However, if you love it, you use it!

To summarise, my advice would be pick the name you keep coming back to time and again - thats THE name smile

Good luck x

emsyj Tue 16-Apr-13 20:53:01

I think it's lovely, and it immediately says 'girl' to me, doesn't sound like a boy name to my ear.

BedHog Tue 16-Apr-13 19:57:54

My friend has an Elowen, also a Cornish name, which is pretty.

Lowen sounds more masculine to me, when I saw the thread title I thought 'boy', and I think there is a beer called Lowenbrau. Go for it if you like it though, don't worry about it being too 'different'. Different is good! grin

us4downhere Tue 16-Apr-13 19:49:46

I am almost 3 days overdue and still we can't decide on a girls name (we have been told it's a girl).

We like Lowen Rose but not sure if it is too 'different'. It's a Cornish name and we live in Cornwall (DH is Cornish) but not a common name here.

With previous 2 DS's we had no trouble choosing but this time it seems trickier!

What do you think, oh wise MNetters? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now