Girls Name That Goes With Chloe

(64 Posts)
MummyBurrows Fri 12-Apr-13 01:59:19

Having a few issues (mainly with family members) over choosing a nice name for our second child-it's been hinted by ultrasound technician that we're having a girl but won't be confirmed until 20wk scan....regardless we have settled on a boys name but our current girls name of choice has gone done like a lead balloon with both sides of our family!

We already have a little girl (3.8) called Chloe Elizabeth and our current name for baby-if girl-is Lucinda,which we will mostly shorten to Luci (as in Lucy) but none of our family like it even though me and my DH love it! What also adds to the debate within the family over Lucinda is that family all like the name Lucy but just not Lucinda! Problem is that the name Lucy is terribly common here in Essex and while we are happy for our (potential) DD2 to be called Luci (Lucy) as a nn we simply just don't want her to BE a Lucy,if that makes sense!? If she gets called other varying nn such as Luce,Cindy or Cinderella (as my sister mocked) then that's fine by us,just don't want an "official" Lucy for a dd and think Lucinda makes a lovely longer variation on such a common name! Please tell me someone can see our point and agrees with us?!

Also we would like some other names to consider,just in case something else takes our fancy or something we could use as a middle name please? All names beginning with C are out as are any popular names and Alice is already on our list of possibilities.....also after reading loads of threads on here the name Orla is out and so are all the "granny" names-such as Margaret and we don't want anything unisex or too unusual or difficult to pronounce/spell. Probably doesn't leave many names left really but we're really fussy!

T.I.A xxx

MummyBurrows Mon 15-Apr-13 00:57:57

I think family will always have something to say if u tell them a list of names ur considering,some they'll like,others they'll hate...as long as we love the name we choose that's all that matters,family will get used to it lol xx

Queazy Sun 14-Apr-13 19:39:27

How about Licia, Lilliana or Elise?

jkklpu Sun 14-Apr-13 18:48:32

Stick with your own choice or, if you change your mind, don't tell anyone in the family about it.

mathanxiety Sun 14-Apr-13 18:48:05

I do think that reactions like your family's illustrate the futility of running names past families before the baby is born. If my mother had had her way three of my DDs would be named Stacey, Verona and Roberta. She was a bit shocked at the names we eventually came up with, especially since DD4 was named after her.

mathanxiety Sun 14-Apr-13 18:45:29

The K aspect of Katherine was completely unknown to the 4 and 5 year olds who decided to call my niece Kathy. She herself was hardy aware of the C and K options for the spelling of her name.

I guess what I don't understand is that you will call your DD Lucinda on paper and are happy to call her Luci out loud but recoil from the idea of 'Lucy' either on paper or out loud as there are so many of them in Essex, but to the untrained ear, your DD will be (yet another) Lucy. It seems like a case of extreme hair splitting.

Margaret means both pearl and daisy. Margherita means daisy in Italian and Margarita/Margaret/Marguerite all come from Greek. The names can be used with either meaning in mind.
Dick for Richard may have come about due to an aversion to the Norman letter R. The ch may at one time have been more of a ck sound.
The middle R in names like Mary, Sarah, Dorothy, etc were changed to L or D too -- Molly, Sally/Sadie/Dollie/Dottie

MummyBurrows Sat 13-Apr-13 23:10:27

We don't need the families approval as such,but we do like to hear what they think of names we come up with to get a bit of perspective of what could be associated with our chosen name- Joey,as mentioned previously,came back with the response from my dad that the name,to some,could be associated with a special needs person (or spastics as his actual word was!*shocked and shameful face*-dad was told off by me for saying it!) as "back in the day" they were called Joeys,something to do with something on tv at the time I think... With our dd1 my side of the family all loved the name Chloe but my dh mum hated it and instantly said "you can't call her that!! You just can't!!" found out the reason was because a girl called chloe got run over and died in the town where she lives 10years ago! She didn't even know the girl or her family so not entirely sure why she was so against the name and said we can't use it,if it had been a relative or close family friend I'd of understood! I still would of (and did) call our dd1 chloe,so even if we stick with Lucinda and family members don't come round or get used to it by then then it will be tough,we will still call her lucinda,not to spite them but because it is out baby and out choice,they'll come round to it eventually,or just point blank refuse to call her that and call her luci instead but we've already said its fine and we don't mind so its win/win whatever!

We do ideally want a short middle name if we stick with Lucinda,anything too long will just sound ridiculous I think! Kate is quite nice,I quite like the idea of Lucinda Paige at the mo but dh not so keen but also can't come up with any suggestions! Typical man,happy to disagree but can't come up with anything himself lol!xx

MummyBurrows Sat 13-Apr-13 22:50:48

Not bothered if the I isn't obvious,Y is fine and won't annoy us,we kinda expect to get party invites when she's older saying either lucinda or lucy if the parents don't know/havent been told her full name by their child,the I is just our personal choice of spelling on here to keep the I from her name instead of using Y but we've no intention on ever actually writing her name like (except perhaps in text messages) as on paper,forms,birthday/xmas cards,anything official,birthday party invites,ect we will always put Lucinda. Also aware that luci/lucy is a name in its own right but quite a few names can be shortened to things that are names in their right,such as Cleo/Cleopatra. A lot of people may choose to shorten Lucinda to Luce or Luci,maybe even Cindy,and that's perfectly fine by us,we have no problems with any of the various shortenings or nn that can be made of the name as we like them all,Luci will just be what we and our families will probably call her for short,especially seeing as family would rather we called that that anyway so it means we can kinda keep everyone happy to a certain extent,we get our Lucinda and they get their Luci lol.

I think Katherine will always get shortened to Kathy, Catherine on the other hand does generally get shortened to Kate/Katie though although I don't understand why as its the complete wrong initial for a start! Its a mystery how some shortenings come about,I personally have never understood how Dick is a shortening of Richard or Daisy a shortening of Margaret! At least with luci/luce/cindy from lucinda its kinda obvious...xx

Snazzynewyear Sat 13-Apr-13 22:42:43

Why do your family have to approve the name? They will just get used it it once it's been chosen. Stop taking names to them for their approval. This is your decision and your DH's alone. Choosing names by committee never works! (except on Mumsnet wink)

I think Lucinda is lovely and you should just go with it. Middle name: something short would work as a nice contrast:

Lucinda Kate
Lucinda Rose
Lucinda Jane

mathanxiety Sat 13-Apr-13 19:07:15

I like Lucinda btw. Also Miranda, Belinda...
I just think it will take on a life of its own that you won't be able to control or predict.

mathanxiety Sat 13-Apr-13 19:05:35

Thing is that Luci is not obviously short for Lucinda. It's a name in its own right. The I at the end is not obvious to someone hearing the name either.

I'm the aunt of a Katherine whose mother wanted her to be called Katie so chose the K spelling. She always introduced her as Katherine. From her first day in school my niece was known as Kathy to the other children, which was so far from what her mother wanted it might as well have been Brittany.

MummyBurrows Sat 13-Apr-13 17:06:25

We will always introduce her to people as Lucinda,never Luci,so there should never be a need to explain her name in life as Luci will be the obvious,and probably most used,shortening for a nn so it shouldn't raise any questions if they do hear us call her luci,I know I've never been asked why people always call me "Gem" when my name is Gemma as its always been pretty obvious that its just a shortened nn version of my actual name lol.

It just seems that family are the ones who required the reasoning behind it as all they said was "Urgh I don't like that! Why don't you call her Lucy instead?". Me and my DH both love and prefer the name Lucinda over Lucy but it will be a bit of a long name to say on a regular basis,as you do when you have kids!,so it will be easier and quicker to shorten it to luci on a daily basis,especially at home,as many people do with any name where possible. In all honesty when we are out and about in public places we will always call her lucinda,not luci. Can just imagine sitting on the beach in a couple of years time,calling out "lucy" and having 20 little girls all turning round to look at us lol,at least sticking to calling her the full lucinda in public will mean that will hopefully never happen!xx

mathanxiety Sat 13-Apr-13 05:31:23

The opposite of your point about Lucinda/Luci is that if you don't want your DD to have a name that is common in Essex then why are you going to call her a name that is common in Essex?

In your minds her name is really Lucinda but unless you are going to go up to everyone who meets her and tell them it's not really Luci, it's Lucinda then she is always going to be yet another Luci from Essex.

And if you do explain the Lucinda thing to people then you are always going to be the strange parents who are bothered by the idea of yet another child called Lucy but who call their DD Luci on a daily basis. Which seems really odd.

How about
Sylvie
Daphne
Annie (maybe a nn for Annabel or Anastasia or pet form of Anne)
Phoebe
Eden
Willow
Rowan
Maya
Maris (on its own or short for Damaris)
Avery
Zara

<I agree with you 100% on Mackenzie. Bleurrggh. Also agree about Essex. Have smart and lovely rellies there>

MummyBurrows Fri 12-Apr-13 19:58:55

Joey brings out a side in me that makes me want to punch him in the face everytime I see him or he opens his mouth lol :s his stupidity annoys me beyond words! I liked his name as a potential boys name when I was pregnant first time around though,but then again towie didn't exist then!

Its still early days but I think Lucinda will stick,its the middle name to go with it causing us the most bother now but the suggestions are helping us create a slightly longer list than the one we started with smile xxx

Coconutty Fri 12-Apr-13 19:38:06

I quite like Joey! Brings out my maternal side!

Let us know what name you decide on x

MummyBurrows Fri 12-Apr-13 19:19:41

Yea its really strange! Although I guess it could be common in parts of essex closer to bucks as I'm right on the coast and very close to suffolk (literally 15mins down the road!) Now you've said it I'd rather avoid any links to towie so perhaps lulu would be better as a nn than luci/lucy! I can't stand towie!! That show is nothing like the real people of essex! We look and sound nothing like those orange drama queen muppets!! We're also not that dumb either!! They've given all us essex lot a bad name with that show sad xxx

Coconutty Fri 12-Apr-13 19:06:18

How funny, Essex is only an hour down the road! Must be a local thing. Good name though, prefer LuLu to Lucy, just because so Lucy reminds me of that girl off TOWIE.

MummyBurrows Fri 12-Apr-13 19:03:12

My best friend has already picked Marie out as her chosen name if she has a girl so I won't steal it off her,and I know a maria. Alice and Louisa are already on our list but I know a pippa,harriet,ingrid and sophia :s xx

Page 3 model called lucinda? Well I've never heard of her but no doubt my dd1 and this dd will inherit big busts as they run in both sides of the family so I guess it kinda suits lol! My dds are certainly not going to be "getting them out for the lads" in mags and papers though! Dh will go mental if they ever suggest it when they grow up lol!xx

MummyBurrows Fri 12-Apr-13 18:53:17

I'm in essex and have never known or heard of anyone called Lucinda so it will be very unusual and unique down here so I don't have to worry about that. Lucy on the other hand is 10 a penny as they say so while I'm happy for her to be called lucy/luci,lulu,luce,cindy,ect as a nn I simply refuse to have lucy as her official name,I want her to have something that will set her apart from all the plain lucy's she'll no doubt meet in nursery/school/work/life in general.

Eleanor and other variations of that name are out as dh sister is called ellie (and he hates her). We know a quite few emilys,its another common name here along with amelia,ruby,scarlett,lexi,lola,mia,tia,chanel,chantel and my personal now most hated name-lilly,in all its various spellings. May/Mae for a middle name is out the window due to how common its become and Rose is becoming very iffy due to the common mn factor also...one of the joys of essex being the home of many a teenage mum is that they all call their kids the same names instead of coming up with something a little bit different! Don't get me wrong the names are beautiful and lovely and we would of considered most of them but how common they've become round here makes them massively off putting and big no-nos for us sad xxx (just to clarify,me and my dh are not teenagers-we're both 25,married for 4yrs and this will without doubt be our last child! 2 is all we've ever wanted!)Xx

seriouscakeeater Fri 12-Apr-13 18:47:13

I like orlath but my friend stole it! So dd will be called lucy, which im a bit hmm now as its quite common apparently! Lucinda might remind them of the page 3 model back in the day...???

MortifiedAdams Fri 12-Apr-13 18:40:26

I have the same name as you OP and dd is Meg. We also like Alice, Pippa, Louisa, Harriet, Sofia, Ingrid if any of those take your fancy.

I dont like Lucinda (but I dont have to!) but my families opinion wouldnt really count to me as log as I loved the name!!

almostanotherday Fri 12-Apr-13 18:35:51

Marie

smile

Coconutty Fri 12-Apr-13 18:24:09

Lucinda is very, very popular here (Bucks) so be warned that if you are trying to avoid a popular name then Lucinda/Lucy wouldn't fit the bill. Most get shortened to LuLu or Lucy.

mrstowers Fri 12-Apr-13 18:17:24

Eleanor or Emily

MummyBurrows Fri 12-Apr-13 16:50:30

I really like Megan but dh hates it and made the point that his dads dog is called Megan so its put us both off sad I did suggest emma,I love it and wish it had been my name,but its far too close to my name so would get confusing for everyone in conversation so we scratched that one off the list. Don't know any holly,enya or lucinas but know people with all the other suggested names and not keen on enya or lucina,think lucina would annoy me as I'd constantly want to put the d in it to make it lucinda! Even typing it I've had to correct it everytime lol! I quite like holly for a middle name though,dh not so keen on it as all her thinks when he hears the name Holly is "Willough-booby" thanks to Keith Lemon and Celebrity Juice lol!xx

buttercrumble Fri 12-Apr-13 16:42:22

Abigail.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now