Opinions on name

(49 Posts)
kcw1986 Thu 11-Apr-13 15:02:22

Hi been thinking about a name for a baby girl thats due in October. I don't know why but I really like the name Ridley, it's unusual which I like but for the middle name I was going to go for something traditional name to balance it out i.e

Ridley Josephine
Ridley Grace
Ridley Elizabeth

The problem is my surname am just nor sure it goes. My surname is Williams so am just wondering what you think.

raisah Fri 12-Apr-13 22:05:14

If you really want Ridley then have it as a middle name rather than a first name. There are lots of elegant, classy names around and you have plenty of time to choose a name. I waited for my dc to ne born before choosing a name. I wanted to see if it suited them before making a final decision.

givemeaclue Fri 12-Apr-13 18:06:14

Dreadful!

YouDontWinFriendsWithSalad Fri 12-Apr-13 18:03:03

I've always liked Ripley for the same reason, Pixie. What better role model could a young girl have than arse-kicking Sigourney Weaver at her staunch best!

kcw1986 Fri 12-Apr-13 17:43:27

Strangely Ripley sounds like a boys name to me lol

Pixieonthemoor Fri 12-Apr-13 15:24:13

I think Ridley is quite nice but always struck me as more of a boys name (Ridley Scott). I do like Ripley however - reminds me of Sigourney Weaver kicking alien butt!! Hadley is nice too.....

fussychica Fri 12-Apr-13 14:09:13

Piddly Ridley - step away from the name!

kcw1986 Fri 12-Apr-13 13:26:08

hmmmmmm not sure about Hadley I'll see if it grows on me. Am not really a fan of frilly girly names tbh and if the little one takes after me she won't be a girly girl for sure

forgetmenots Fri 12-Apr-13 12:25:18

Hadley Harper is really, really cute (but I am overly fond of alliteration at the best of times!)

thermalsinapril Fri 12-Apr-13 12:12:19

Ridley is a boys name, isn't it?

Darcy
Abigail (Abi)
Bethany
Cassie
Julia
Natasha
Sadie
Hayley
Ruby
Casey
Melanie

DamselWithADulcimer Fri 12-Apr-13 09:15:38

Isabelle and Odette are great names - and very different from Ridley in every possible way. Whoever said Lacey or Lucey-May was surely joking. If you like names like Elizabeth and Grace as middle names, how about choosing one of them as a first name?

getmeoutofthismadhouse Fri 12-Apr-13 03:49:27

Really? Of all the lovely , pretty girls names ... its not my choice for a girl but its your little girl so you make the decision

nooka Fri 12-Apr-13 03:28:04

Ridley is not at all good, and no better with Harper than Williams, in fact I think with Harper might be a bit of a nuisance because people might well think she's actually called Harper, as there will be an assumption that Ridley is a surname.

Plus dh is a gamer, so to me this is what Ridley looks like...

Frikadellen Thu 11-Apr-13 23:30:10

I dont actually mind Ridley think it is kinda cute.

FriggFRIGG Thu 11-Apr-13 22:40:31

Lacey Leigh and lucey-may are,however, truly dreadful.

FriggFRIGG Thu 11-Apr-13 22:39:42

Agatha is lovely...

unebagpipe Thu 11-Apr-13 22:01:47

If you like 'r' names, how about rowen, Rita, or Romany (Rom-ah-knee) as alternatives.

devonsmummy Thu 11-Apr-13 21:51:28

I've not seen them since she was a baby so I don't know I'm afraid.

SleepyCatOnTheMat Thu 11-Apr-13 20:52:22

Sorry, is now.

SleepyCatOnTheMat Thu 11-Apr-13 20:51:24

But is more commonly used for boys here.

SleepyCatOnTheMat Thu 11-Apr-13 20:50:46

What about Hadley?

Aubrey is a now a very popular (Top 20) name for girls in the US, Remus.

kcw1986 Thu 11-Apr-13 20:42:08

Thanks devonsmummy don't suppose you know if she likes it

Aubrey is a boys' name.

kcw1986 Thu 11-Apr-13 20:29:35

I like Isabelle and Odette but obviously can't use them. Agatha is too old fashioned for me, I like more unusual,

Don't like Aubrey or Riley

As I say am not a it's not 100 percent set in stone but it's my favourite at the moment.

Am quite close to my cousin so don't want to cause waves by using her daughters name lol

devonsmummy Thu 11-Apr-13 20:28:25

I like Ridley .
Ex mothers laws maiden name was Ridley & I said to exH if we had kids I'd like to use the name. We didn't have kids but his brother had a daughter a few years ago and they called her Ridley.

Isabelle, Odette and Agatha all a zillion times nicer than Ridley imho.

How about Audrey?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now