Edie or Lila?

(25 Posts)
Bayleaf5 Thu 11-Apr-13 11:56:34

Our beautiful daughter was born 11 days ago and we were so sure she'd be a boy, we didn't really have any girl names! So we've narrowed it down to 2, Edie or Lila. Can't decide. Middle name is Ann and surname Everest. Not sure if Edie Everest sounds good or ridiculous! And not sure if names ending in 'a' work with Everest. Thoughts please! Got to decide soon....

Gimmeechocolate Thu 11-Apr-13 13:25:38

Both lovely names but I don't think Edie Everest works too well, so I'd go with Lila. Congratulations!

KittenOfDoom Thu 11-Apr-13 13:34:50

Edie is a diminutive. Give her the full name of Edith which sounds much better with the other names, and is more dignified. You can still call her Edie.

Lila is one of those names which no one will be sure how to spell it. I agree that the -a ending collides both with the middle name and the surname.

squoosh Thu 11-Apr-13 13:36:36

I much prefer Lila.

TheYamiOfYawn Thu 11-Apr-13 13:41:58

I like them both - Lila is a family name, and my daughter's middle name. With your surname, I'd probably go for Edith shortened to Edie.

aPseudonymToFoolHim Thu 11-Apr-13 13:47:47

Lila, definitely! It's beautiful, I can just imagine her smile

Frogman Thu 11-Apr-13 13:53:37

Is Edie pronounced ed-ee or ee-de?

I think Edie (ee-de) Everest sounds fabulous and of if/when your daughter gets married maybe no women will change their surnames.

Mind you, Lila Everest also sounds great. I've never met an Everest but what a great surname to have.

toffeelolly Thu 11-Apr-13 13:56:21

Love , love lilawink

Umlauf Fri 12-Apr-13 09:06:14

Lila!

Wildwaterfalls Fri 12-Apr-13 09:07:44

With your surname I'd say Lila. Very nice smile

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Fri 12-Apr-13 09:13:41

Yes, Edie Everest is fabulous. Go with that!

And congrats. smile

thermalsinapril Fri 12-Apr-13 12:07:15

I like Edie as nickname for Edith, but don't think Edie Everest works well.

Go for Lila!

mum2jakie Fri 12-Apr-13 12:08:54

Lila is a beautiful name and compliments your surname well. Congrats on your new little one! xx

forgetmenots Fri 12-Apr-13 12:30:05

Love Edith nn Edie (and alliterative names!) Edith Everest is lovely.

Lila reminds me of sweet valley high (showing my age there!) but it's definitely the nicest of the Lily/Lola/Laila names imo

Jojay Fri 12-Apr-13 12:36:33

I love Edie Everest! My DS1 , and I, have an alliterative name too, and it's ace. I really like it, it's much better than my maiden name.

I'd give her Edith as a full name though, Edie to too nick name-y for me.

I never know how to pronounce Lila. Is it like Lyla, or with a short I as in Lily?

KittenOfDoom Fri 12-Apr-13 12:56:22

Lila is a bit tampon-y.

Bayleaf5 Sat 13-Apr-13 16:06:57

Thanks for your thoughts... we're going with Lila!

peacefuleasyfeeling Sat 13-Apr-13 17:47:32

Good choice! DD is Lila and everyone always says what a lovely name it is. Living where we do we have had "Oh, that means ____ where I come from!" from all corners of the world; purple, lilac (as in the bush), peaceful night, cheerful, beautiful.

fussychica Sat 13-Apr-13 18:36:36

With your surname and with Ann as a middle name I'd definitely go with Lila - it's lovely. Congrats.
Oh just noticed you've done the deed and chosen wellsmile

racingheart Sat 13-Apr-13 18:39:12

Sure? I love Edie Everest. To me she sounds like she's born to succeed. She will conquer the world and men will fall at her feet.
Lila Everest is pretty too, but Edie Everest is magical.

freerangeeggs Sat 13-Apr-13 19:40:14

I am extremely jealous of your surname and think both names are gorgeous. I think I do prefer Edie as a nickname for Edith, though (I'm not against nicknames-as-full-names in general, I just like Edith, but I'm aware it's a bit of a marmite name).

Congratulations :D

KittenOfDoom Sun 14-Apr-13 15:12:27

Wrong choice.

toffeelolly Sun 14-Apr-13 15:16:52

Bayleaf , great choice lila is lovelywink

Wildwaterfalls Sun 14-Apr-13 20:53:44

Great choice, congratulations! smilethanks

forgetmenots Sun 14-Apr-13 22:42:07

Thanks for updating and telling us what you chose! A lovely name. Congratulations smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now