Leonora or Iris

(25 Posts)
InTheBoonies Thu 11-Apr-13 09:12:26

I am finding it really hard to decide. I think Leonora is the braver choice and Iris a bit safer. But do you think Leonora is a bit 'out there'.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Kyrptonite Thu 11-Apr-13 09:13:30

Not overly keen on either but prefer Iris. Leonora sounds a bit too elderly aunt for my taste.

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Thu 11-Apr-13 09:28:15

I know a gorgeous little Guatamalan 3YO called Leonore (known as Leo, pronounced Layo).

To be honest, I prefer Leonore to Leonora - it's more elegant. The 'a' on the end is over-egging the pudding - sort of like Isa/obel is to Isabelle/a...

InTheBoonies Thu 11-Apr-13 09:41:33

I partly picked the name Leonora after living in Madrid and hearing a lot about Princess Leonor of Spain.

I think I thought Leonor / Leonore might sound too masculine in English. But that is exactly what I'm hesitating of DonDrapers , the fussiness of Leonora.

KittenOfDoom Thu 11-Apr-13 13:41:43

Leonora is a splendid name, and lends itself to various shorter or informal forms, if required.

I find Iris rather a "hard" sounding name, don't care for it much.

smother Thu 11-Apr-13 14:07:32

Both lovely.

Leonora is more unusual at the moment. I know a lovely Leonore and prefer this. The only thing that puts me off the name is the nickname Lee, but I'm sure you could use others!

Iris is very elegant - so as long as the child is too, all will be good with that name!

Jojobump1986 Thu 11-Apr-13 14:17:40

I know a young Leonora. I was sure the parents had made the name up when I first heard it! blush She's always called Leo though, I've never heard her called her full name. Personally I'd prefer Nora as a shortening than Leo.

Exhaustipated Thu 11-Apr-13 14:34:24

I like both a lot.

Leonora is a lot less popular, if that bothers you.

MrsHuxtable Thu 11-Apr-13 18:00:14

I love Leonora. In fact will put it on my list for another DD!

MsJupiterJones Thu 11-Apr-13 18:23:34

I love Iris, one of my favourites.

AssamAndDarjeeling Thu 11-Apr-13 19:48:32

Iris.

Leonora will become 'Lee', I think.

LondonInHighHeeledBoots Thu 11-Apr-13 19:50:41

Don't like Leonora, I think it is too fussy - agree with the Isobel/Isabella comment above. I do quite like Leonore/Leonor, and I don't think its any more masculine than Elinor or Eleanor would be? Its just not massively girly which isn't a bad thing!

Prefer Iris though.

thermalsinapril Thu 11-Apr-13 20:40:16

Leonora is great, energetic and good nickname potential (Nora, Lora, Lea)

Don't like Iris at all, it's rather ponderous.

eastereggnog Thu 11-Apr-13 22:27:27

That girl from that tv programme Being Human is a Leonora I think. How is it pronounced? LeOnora or Lenora?

Leonas Thu 11-Apr-13 22:35:53

I love Iris! DPs surname starts with S so I don't think I can use it - makes the two names merge in to one? I really like it though.

georgettemagritte Thu 11-Apr-13 22:47:24

Love Leonora - would shorten beautifully to Leonie which would be so sweet for a little girl. I'm personally not keen on Iris and it's getting really popular near me - def agree that Leonora is the more unusual choice (and more versatile and, I think, more striking and prettier as well).

smother Fri 12-Apr-13 10:28:50

ooh Leonie is a gorgeous nn for a little one!

fussychica Fri 12-Apr-13 14:13:32

Iris or Leonie

Still18atheart Fri 12-Apr-13 14:22:26

out of the two much prefer Leonora!

raisah Sat 13-Apr-13 04:49:09

Leonara reminds me of the fabric conditioner. Sorry.
Iris is lovely

jellybeans Sat 13-Apr-13 17:07:54

I like it but prefer Leoni or Leona.

freerangeeggs Sat 13-Apr-13 19:42:47

Leonore is a fantastic name. Some people will think about that bloody fabric conditioner though (same with Ariel!). I like Leonora too but it is quite frilly.

How about Liora/Leora? Leonie mentioned upthread is also beautiful.

mathanxiety Sat 13-Apr-13 21:56:01

I prefer Leonora.

I find Iris a bit prim and cold.

Queazy Sun 14-Apr-13 19:42:41

I personally prefer Iris. Ida is pretty too

telsa Sun 14-Apr-13 21:09:42

Leonora is fabulous. Go for it. Iris is prim and overused. There is a great artist called Leonora Carrington.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now