Possibly one for Relationships - my DM's spectacularly rubbish reaction to possible baby name

(40 Posts)
NumberOneNumpty Mon 08-Apr-13 18:54:42

So I was chatting to my mother about possible baby names. What do you think, I say, about Jasmine? Thinking there's nothing controversial about Jasmine - flower name, top 20, Minnie as a cute nickname etc. Cue cats-bum face from DM and the exclamation, "Oh no, that's a foreign woggy name". Am so angry I'm tempted to use it just to spite her. By the way, I've asked her numerous times to refrain from making these kind of racist comments around me and she just won't. Aaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh! That's it, just needed to vent!

She didn't say it was 'exotic' she said it was 'woggy'
Nasty sad

zumm Fri 12-Apr-13 21:10:13

Haha honeymoon .
Jasmine is gorgeous.

babyradio Sun 14-Apr-13 00:12:31

Jasmine was on my shortlist for a girl but I'm having a boy. It's a lovely name. I wanted Mina for a nickname smile

Also - my baby is mixed white/black, and the amount of people (thankfully not family) referring to our son who is NOT EVEN BORN YET as my 'black baby' is genuinely astounding. It comes up in almost every conversation as if it's a hilarious joke so I've stopped bothering as much with those people. I didn't realise we were living in the fifties!

lottiegarbanzo Sun 14-Apr-13 00:22:41

Jasmine is lovely, popular but you know that.

I do think a bit of name / family tree research is in order. 'Really DM? I'm so pleased to hear that because it means dd will blend into our diverse family, with your Russian heritage and DH's Turkish roots and of course auntie Esther's parents' nod to their Jewish links, perfectly!'

zumm Mon 15-Apr-13 14:49:00

babyradio so sorry to hear that - but what a fortunate baby to have a lovely big gene pool. He's bound to be a success. Congratulations to you!

OkayHazel Tue 16-Apr-13 01:58:23

Racist old people seems to be a common theme. My grandma is terrible, and too senile to realize she's out of order, no matter how many times I express disgust.

Just carry on and name your child as you wish. Maybe don't mention any other names you think of?

Oh bless, I genuinely didn't realise people still thought of things like that? You poor thing, if she carries on maybe you should just ask what exactly is wrong with an exotic name?

DD's best friend is called Jasmine. It's a lovely name. Your DM is tactless and racist.

melodyme Sun 28-Apr-13 21:13:28

What is a woggy? USA over here....lol

Nagoo Sun 28-Apr-13 22:09:07

as in golliwog? It's like our very own N-word sad

It's a very nice name OP.

thermalsinapril Mon 29-Apr-13 11:10:10

Unbelievable!

Jasmine is a lovely name smile

OddSockMonster Mon 29-Apr-13 11:16:03

Jasmine's a lovely name!

Suggest you don't discuss names with your mum at all.

OddSockMonster Mon 29-Apr-13 11:17:40

When you say 'Possibly one for Relationships'... is there more to this?

BraveLilBear Mon 29-Apr-13 17:41:07

Jasmine is lovely. What a reaction! shock Was on an outing with my mum and two sisters the other day when they started playing 'guess what we're thinking of calling the baby'.

I gave them a few clues and set them off. In the course of the conversation, I mentioned how much I loved the name Raven for a girl (DP and I have exceptionally dark hair, too) and my mum, to my horror, pulled an actual catsbum face.

It's not on the shortlist, but I found it quite offensive and it definitely reinforced my decision not to tell her or anyone else the actual names we're thinking of.

I don't see why people think it's okay to diss the potential name of your children apart from on MN, obviously

TalkUsernameYoudLike Mon 29-Apr-13 18:16:33

I second calling your daughter Mohammed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now