love the name harry but seems very popular,so many about.three in my childs class.would you call your child an over used name if you liked it?

(30 Posts)
racheael76 Fri 05-Apr-13 19:08:58

what do you think to the boys name harry.do you like it even though its extremely popular (its like the new john).i love the name harry but unsure now it is so popular.lots of people must like it thats why its so popular.

StellaNova Sat 06-Apr-13 13:47:01

I think that generally you can't tell what name is going to be popular - all the mums of Isabels and Isabellas I know thought they were being incredibly original and they were not to know everyone had that idea at the same time! Lots of names I have liked, have suddenly become really popular, like Grace and Rose.

Having said that however I personally would not call my child a name that was already really, really popular. I love the name Jack but wouldn't use it for that reason. There were about 9 Sarahs in my year at school, I think it takes away from the loveliness of the name when it is so much in use.

Especially if you have a relatively common surname. There were two Paul Smiths in my year at college and I know two Sarah Edwards.

TheWave Sat 06-Apr-13 15:31:55

I wouldn't. It's not just about the local area, nursery class etc. Later they might be living or working elsewhere and there will be Harry in accounts, Harry who works in the canteen, Harry who supports Man U and so on.

difficultpickle Sat 06-Apr-13 15:37:31

I named ds a name that is always in the top 5 and usually top or second. I had no idea as I never looked at name lists before I had him. He has always been the only one in his year with his name despite its apparent popularity. I would choose whichever name you like and not overly worry about popularity. It will be a name you say umpteen times every day so it should be a name you love rather than one you settle for.

everlong Sat 06-Apr-13 16:08:30

Harry is fairly popular but who cares?
If you like it cool. That's what counts.

In ds's yr2 there are no Harry's.

Coffee1Sugar Sat 06-Apr-13 16:40:09

Go for Harrison or Henry as a first name then and nn Harry if you want. Fwiw dd is Chloe Grace very "charts" but I love it and the only one at her nursery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now