(22 Posts)
NumberOneNumpty Sun 07-Apr-13 18:42:12

Oh lordy grin.

MiaowTheCat Sun 07-Apr-13 09:59:39

I'll raise you Jayd... with Jaimz.

NumberOneNumpty Sat 06-Apr-13 19:34:35

Sorry, that made me shock.

NumberOneNumpty Sat 06-Apr-13 19:33:31

I quite like Comfort and Miracle. At least they mean something. Another name I came across recently that made me [shocked] was Jayd.

TallulahBetty Sat 06-Apr-13 14:27:30

grin at Balloon Monkey!!

notallytuts Fri 05-Apr-13 18:10:54

i came across a taylla recently - i was shocked to find out they were male with that spelling of it!

Welovegrapes Fri 05-Apr-13 13:39:41

Ooh just remembered someone who I met once who had a daughter called Miracle. Again, I thought it was lovely.,

Thurlow Fri 05-Apr-13 13:37:06

All for originality, but I swear that doesn't spell Taylor - when I read it I was thinking "Tail-ree? Tell-ree?"

Tailor, Tailer, Taelor, at least they look they they should spell Taylor!

Booyhoo Fri 05-Apr-13 13:36:50

yes i was trying to work out what grounds aswell. i do feel there would be discrimination of some sort going on but probably not of a protected group so nothing could be done. i'm just thinking of how many people i know even in my small not at all multicultural town with foreign names or names that aren't pronounced they way they look.

also, it's a bit stupid to bin a CV from someone with a name you struggle with or dont like. most people dont pick their own names so it isn't really any reflection on them if they are called Balloon Monkey.

of all the reasons not to consider someone for a job, their name should really be last on that list.

StephaniePowers Fri 05-Apr-13 13:33:02

Badly-spelled names do affect job applications
It's why people give their children what they see as middle-class names (subconscious choice of course)

Trazzletoes Fri 05-Apr-13 13:31:38

grapes Comfort is a popular name in countries like Zimbabwe.

booyhoo discrimination on what grounds? The only one I can think of is race, but plenty of white British people have names that are spelt unconventionally.

It is so common to have unusual names in the US that it doesn't really hamper your life so much and bring judgement on you as it does here.

I doubt his name is helping him in his job search.

Booyhoo Fri 05-Apr-13 13:29:38

i watched a programme recently and there was a girl called Memento in it. i wondered if it was because her conception happened in a lovely place or something and she was a memento of it. i thought it was lovely tbh.

Floralnomad Fri 05-Apr-13 13:26:29

Names like Comfort ,Princess ,Precious are apparently quite common African names ,I know quite a few . The creative spelling of Taylor is dreadful though .

Booyhoo Fri 05-Apr-13 13:25:24

it's a horrible spelling of the name but i very much doubt his lack of job offers is to do with his name TBH. employers get applications from 100's of people per job and there will be lots of names that need a bot of thinking before trying to pronounce them. if employers are binning CVs based on names that could be considered discrimination.

nectarini1983 Fri 05-Apr-13 13:20:04

Stupid

Welovegrapes Fri 05-Apr-13 07:52:54

I once had an application from a Comfort - I remember it stood out and I thought, what a lovely name!

bigbluebump Fri 05-Apr-13 07:46:57

It hasn't done Condoleezza Rice any harm either smile. Perhaps Americans are more open minded about these things.

mewkins Fri 05-Apr-13 07:44:19

Well the other intern was called Princess. Surprised she ever made it through a paper sift.
Do people not think about ghis when naming their child??

mumbaisapphire Thu 04-Apr-13 23:26:24

That's pretty bad. I know a Taelor which is almost as bad/maybe the same actually. I did a double take when I first read her name on paper and then realised what her name actually was. Although doesn't seem to have done her any harm career wise-having said that she's American and in the US so maybe it's less of an issue there.

LadyStark Thu 04-Apr-13 21:56:38

Oh, that's horrendous. Poor boy.

TallulahBetty Thu 04-Apr-13 21:55:37

Hideous!!

NumberOneNumpty Thu 04-Apr-13 21:29:10

Am just watching The Intern, featuring Hilary Devey from Dragon's Den, and one of the interns is called Taelre, pronounced Taylor! I can't help it, I'm cringing. He's just said he's posted off 100 CVs since leaving school and not got a single response - hmm, why could that be? Worst case of cre8tiv spelling I've come across for a while.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now