Matthew - does its recent drop down the rankings mean it will sound dated?

(32 Posts)
Artichook Thu 04-Apr-13 18:32:33

DH suggested Matthew today and to do honest it has never occurred to me as an option. This is DC3 and I know of no other little Matthews under the age of 10. I checked the rankings and in the last 20 years its gone from top ten to 40 something.

I think I quite like it but worry that it will seem a little dated. I remember when I was at school in the 80s the Lindas and Susans seemed a little stale, like their parents were behind the times. Will Matthew seem like that?

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Sun 07-Apr-13 13:53:54

PS keep hearing that Peter is set to come back, that seems a lot quirkier or retro than Matthew, so more likely to get pegged by date or era in later life.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Sun 07-Apr-13 13:50:53

Classic name imo perhaps best to consider, do your other DCs' names fall into a fashionable or classic category or somewhere inbetween?

23balloons Sat 06-Apr-13 16:07:43

There are 7 or 8 Matthews in ds's new secondary out of 150 children.

Rookiebfcounsellor Sat 06-Apr-13 16:02:36

I'm seriously considering John for ds2 smile

Clary Sat 06-Apr-13 15:58:00

No I don't think so.

I know Matthews aged from 14 (DS1's age), several, right down to current yr 3 so about 7. The onyl reason I don't know any others is cuase I don't know many very small children any more.

I teach a lot of Matts tho (teach secondary and I have about 6-7 in my classes) and it has been very popular, alongside James, William, Josh, Jake, so if that puts you off then think again.

MiaowTheCat Sat 06-Apr-13 08:52:16

Still quite popular round here - think it's very much one of those that is timeless, and it's still a fairly steady showing in the name rankings after all. I think of it as one of those like James, Thomas etc - will always be popular but not insanely, five in every class, popular (although having said that I did teach a class with 4 Thomases and 3 Matthews in... that cohort would be lower secondary age by now)

mum47 Fri 05-Apr-13 19:39:31

Love the name Matthew - suits all ages, and Matt is a fab shortform too.

Jins Fri 05-Apr-13 19:38:05

One of my favourite names. I know Matthews aged 83, 55, 40, 32, 18, 7 and 2 and it suits them all. One of the few names that suits every age group

CityGal29 Fri 05-Apr-13 19:32:11

To me it's an 80s name. All the boys at uni in 2000s were Chris James or Matt and all had one of these as middle name as well, except a few Dans and Bens (seriously!!)
It's an 80s name or the child of parents who are in their 40s and missed this bulge of matts iykwim

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Fri 05-Apr-13 06:07:11

40-something is still pretty popular!! Anything inside the top 100 is in current, regular use.

My friend has a 3YO Matthew - great name, and all adult Matts seem to be very laid back, cool men.

willyoulistentome Thu 04-Apr-13 23:21:54

I love it. My DB is Matthew. (Matth)

RustyBear Thu 04-Apr-13 23:16:20

There are currently four Matthews in the junior school where I work, all 10 or under, that's just under 2%. I've been working/helping there for nearly 20 years and there's always been at least one Matthew (for four of those years it was mine, which is why I've noticed)

Floralnomad Thu 04-Apr-13 23:12:39

I think Matthew is classic ,but I have one . Matt as a nn will always be contemporary . Bit like William and Will .

fridayfreedom Thu 04-Apr-13 23:10:27

Love the name Matthew but as my DS is called Matthew I am a bit biased
Just make sure you spell it with two Ts!

raisah Thu 04-Apr-13 22:59:41

Not as popular as Thomad, George & Samuel etc but that is a good thing. There arent so many young Matthews about so your ds will end up being one of a very few. Matthew is a good, solid traditional name which will carry well through all stages of your sons life.

NumberOneNumpty Thu 04-Apr-13 21:32:44

No, it's going to have to drop down some more to seem dated - forty-something is still very popular.

CruCru Thu 04-Apr-13 21:25:26

It is a proper name and everyone will be able to pronounce it.

invicta Thu 04-Apr-13 21:06:30

Classic name! It won't date.

thermalsinapril Thu 04-Apr-13 21:03:02

It's less fashionable than 40 years ago but it's certainly stood the test of time better than many 70s names. Matthias is a more unusual alternative that could still have Matt as nickname. Matthew is a classic name and I don't think you can go wrong smile

Artichook Thu 04-Apr-13 19:18:17

DH also said none of the four apostle names could date. The thing is that I think John and Mark do sound a little dated. I am sure they will come back "in" but for now they are the names of our generation and the generation of our fathers.

I do like Matthew though. I like Luke too but it is very popular whereas Matthew stands a good chance of being the only Matthew in his class which is an attraction.

exoticfruits Thu 04-Apr-13 19:13:20

A classic -it won't date.

SJisontheway Thu 04-Apr-13 19:01:03

Great name, but I am biased as I have one. When I was pregnant, and had decided on the name, it was described on here as "a bit wet". Didn't put me off, and I've never regretted our choice. I do think its a classic that doesn't really date.

Welovegrapes Thu 04-Apr-13 18:49:18

I know one - I think it's classic as it is the name of one the apostles. Matthew, Mark, Luke and John will never date.

ClaraOswald Thu 04-Apr-13 18:48:49

I know a little Matthew who is three and he has brothers James and William. Classic.

I was chatting to someone and she mentioned that they had a name picked out for their boy due next month and it totally blindsided me. They are going for Robert Matthew.

My Ds is Matthew. He is 3! I like it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now