Matthew - does its recent drop down the rankings mean it will sound dated?

(32 Posts)
Artichook Thu 04-Apr-13 18:32:33

DH suggested Matthew today and to do honest it has never occurred to me as an option. This is DC3 and I know of no other little Matthews under the age of 10. I checked the rankings and in the last 20 years its gone from top ten to 40 something.

I think I quite like it but worry that it will seem a little dated. I remember when I was at school in the 80s the Lindas and Susans seemed a little stale, like their parents were behind the times. Will Matthew seem like that?

mum47 Fri 05-Apr-13 19:39:31

Love the name Matthew - suits all ages, and Matt is a fab shortform too.

MiaowTheCat Sat 06-Apr-13 08:52:16

Still quite popular round here - think it's very much one of those that is timeless, and it's still a fairly steady showing in the name rankings after all. I think of it as one of those like James, Thomas etc - will always be popular but not insanely, five in every class, popular (although having said that I did teach a class with 4 Thomases and 3 Matthews in... that cohort would be lower secondary age by now)

Clary Sat 06-Apr-13 15:58:00

No I don't think so.

I know Matthews aged from 14 (DS1's age), several, right down to current yr 3 so about 7. The onyl reason I don't know any others is cuase I don't know many very small children any more.

I teach a lot of Matts tho (teach secondary and I have about 6-7 in my classes) and it has been very popular, alongside James, William, Josh, Jake, so if that puts you off then think again.

Rookiebfcounsellor Sat 06-Apr-13 16:02:36

I'm seriously considering John for ds2 smile

23balloons Sat 06-Apr-13 16:07:43

There are 7 or 8 Matthews in ds's new secondary out of 150 children.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Sun 07-Apr-13 13:50:53

Classic name imo perhaps best to consider, do your other DCs' names fall into a fashionable or classic category or somewhere inbetween?

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Sun 07-Apr-13 13:53:54

PS keep hearing that Peter is set to come back, that seems a lot quirkier or retro than Matthew, so more likely to get pegged by date or era in later life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now