Ruairidh or Rory

(80 Posts)
smiler389 Thu 04-Apr-13 17:29:21

Pronounced the same....roar ree
hubby is a Scot, live in England.

lljkk Fri 05-Apr-13 09:39:02

Rory.

smiler389 Fri 05-Apr-13 12:26:21

Aaaagh! Guess the old argument about keeping it all a secret makes sense in this situation. Everyone will have their opinion wwhatever we name him and however we choose to pronounce it!

MrsGazza Tue 21-May-13 17:27:33

Hi smiler, just noticed this thread and wanted to comment.

I'm due in 9 days and if we have a boy we are going for Rory Michael.
Hubby is English, I'm Welsh but we live in Scotland. Love the name so much. I had always thought they would be pronounced the same but obviously not-Rory is still our option and felt our non Scottish friends and family would cope better with this spelling.

Good luck!

ipswitch Tue 21-May-13 17:38:43

Rory.

EarlGreyTeabag Tue 21-May-13 17:46:36

Rory here too - I have one smile & I love the name. Still suits him 16 years later.

olivertheoctopus Tue 21-May-13 21:06:33

If you're in England then Rory or it will be a nightmare.

williaminajetfighter Tue 21-May-13 21:12:39

Rory. I spent 10 years in Scotland and got so bored with everyone giving their children very traditional names. Not that the names weren't lovely, it just got a bit predictable. Ruaridh was one of the most popular.

DinoSnores Wed 22-May-13 12:08:02

I was going to tell you about the pronunciation as well but have been beaten to it. Ruairidh is more said "Roo-uh(almost a half syllable)-ree" rather than "Roh-ray". I like the Gaelic spelling, but it will make life challenging!

voucherprocon Wed 22-May-13 20:26:36

Ruairidh. Sounds like Brewery but with out the B. Much nicer sound than Rory

starfishmummy Wed 22-May-13 20:51:49

I like the gaelic spelling, in fact I would have liked it for ds, but dh didn't like it and ds has a very different name.
But I think you have to be prepared for people not knowing how to pronounce oe spell it.

wiltingfast Wed 22-May-13 21:09:12

Fgs! please RORY! unless you are actually gaelic speaking

And fwiw I'd pronounce the first one ruri and the other roari

But who cares! Fact it's so debateable should put you off ;)

nervy555 Mon 03-Jun-13 18:20:35

Bumping this as I'm still in turmoil. Wilting fast that's pretty much what I'm thinking at the mo. Problem is dh is set on it. But I know that all English family and friendswill ppronounce it roar-ree which wont bother me I dont think but does it make it pointless as a name /spelling. Aaargh. I know we have to decide ourselves but im kind of hoping so eone might share an experience that makes me stop worrying. :-/

forgetmenots Mon 03-Jun-13 18:50:59

Nervy if you want to call your boy roary, spell it Rory. That's correct, and no confusion.

If you want to call him roo-ri/roo-a-ri, call him Ruairidh. Many names are difficult to spell. It's not the big deal we all think it is when pg and I say that as someone who is due any day. People get used to it.

Not sure if you're the original OP with a name change!

notfluffy Mon 03-Jun-13 19:05:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Geeklover Mon 03-Jun-13 19:06:02

If it is going to be pronounced as roar please go with Rory.
The

Geeklover Mon 03-Jun-13 19:07:51

Hit post by mistake. As many have said the first one is not pronounced the same and to many is like a totally different name.
My ex and his lovely wife have a gorgeous Rhuairidh and my ex can't spell it. We are in Scotland as well so everyone is used to the fancy spellings.

forgetmenots Mon 03-Jun-13 19:34:18

Btw Ruaridh (that spelling) is in the top 100
Scottish names, doubt anyone in Scotland will struggle with that pronunciation these days - but I think if you prefer the 'roar' pronunciation then using the Gaelic spelling will cause confusion as it is a different name! :-)

Annaliveinalice Tue 04-Jun-13 04:31:07

Rory

squoosh Tue 04-Jun-13 11:47:36

I love the name Rory.

Hate the sound of Ruairidh though, it actually makes my skin prickle when I hear it, I dislike it that much.

As far as I'm aware

Ruairidh - Irish
Ruaridh - Scots Gaelic
Rory- anglicised version of both

forgetmenots Tue 04-Jun-13 12:48:35

Squoosh Ruairidh - Scottish Gaelic (the Irish ones I know are Ruairi, but that could be something else entirely).

Ruaridh is the most common Scottish spelling but is technically a wee bit of a misspelling, very pedantic

I like both pronunciations actually, good names - weird one though if it's not in a Scottish or Irish accent I think :-)

forgetmenots Tue 04-Jun-13 12:48:51

Ps can't type fadas...

Festen Thu 13-Jun-13 20:29:27

Spotted this thread because my brother's name is Ruarigh (a spelling I don't think has been mentioned on here) and it is definitely not pronounced ''Ror-ee", it's "Rurr-ee". At primary school he got fed up of teachers not being able to pronounce it and it was shortened to Ruari. I've always loved his name and don't think people's ignorance of the pronounciation or spelling should stop you choosing it. Go for Ruairidh!

MummyPig24 Fri 14-Jun-13 13:44:04

I prefer Rory. It's a great name.

Gooseysgirl Fri 14-Jun-13 14:04:03

Rory

DeTamble Sat 17-Aug-13 14:20:33

My son's name is Ruairidh, it's a lovely name. He does get called Rory a lot, and I let the few friends and family who can't spell it call him Rory on his birthday cards and such. It's no big deal, and the people who know how to say and spell it right do.

For my next son I'm considering the name Chattan (the h is silent).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now